PDA

View Full Version : 1/3 rule?

BAMARED
06-23-2003, 09:39 AM
I've always heard and read where the "experts" recommend cutting or removing no more than 1/3 of the grass's height at any one cutting. The way that the grass has been growing down here in the SouthEast, you would have to cut the grass every day or at least ever other day to comply w/ this rule due to all the rain we've received lately.

I keep the majority of my customer's lawns mowed on a weekly basis to 2" in height (which is short, but it's what all my customers want.) If you follow this 1/3 rule, that means that I would have to cut it again when it reaches 3" which would be cutting it every day or every other day. Of course I can't do this, therefore, I've been cutting 6"-7" tall grass with multiple passes, etc. making for a long day and taking me forever.

Thanks,

BAMARED

Lawn-Scapes
06-23-2003, 10:01 AM
Do a search for "out the window with the 1/3 rule"

Gravely_Man
06-23-2003, 10:36 AM
The "1/3 Rule" is really just a suggestion this year with all of the rain we have been receiving. You have to do what you can to keep up this year. I would rather have all of the rain then a drought again!

Gravely_Man

KirbysLawn
06-23-2003, 06:51 PM
If you would have to mow daily to mow 1/3" off look at how you are fertilizing first. Maybe some applications can be split, use more slow release, use organics, or a PGR. There are ways to slow growth.

Lawn Specialties
06-23-2003, 07:37 PM
I mow places that aren't on a fert program that grow half an inch a day. I also mow places that are on fert and will have grass eight inches high after four days.

Matt'slawncare
06-23-2003, 07:51 PM
I am having this same problem here to in southeast, MN. I mowed to commercial properties that are right next to each other at 3 -3 1/4 cuz of how rough the ground is. I mow on a one a week basis and i am cutting off around 3-4 inches at a time. I just started running doubles to see if it would help with the clippings but it didn't really help. It just threw them about 5 feet farther. So how does all the big companies mow on a once a week basis when the grass grow so fast.