PDA

View Full Version : Crime

southside
09-26-2000, 11:22 AM
Have any of you been hit,mugged,shot,stabbed,raped,invovled in a drive by shooting or otherwise had crime problems while on the job??
Been assaulted by a customer?
Assaulted a customer?
Over here the media portrays the US as crime infested.Where
tourists get shot in drive by shootouts by guys with baggy
trousers and hats on backwards.
Over here we have some bad areas where I don't work.
Had an employee once who was repairing a fence on a subdivision and was approached by a junkie wanting his wallet. Employee produced large claw hammer and went to town on this junkie with it.

How about you guys?

Karl

thelawnguy
09-26-2000, 11:37 AM
Never had a problem, though if you met me in person you'd understand why-I throw a mighty large shadow ;) .

Most of the shootings that I know of are one gangbanger shooting another (Darwinism at its best), or some sort of man/woman/cheating spouse thing.

Most crime in my area is drug-related, and thats both the urban and rural areas. Actually a bigger problem in the Sticks since theres more places to disappear to.

Worse that happens to me is sometimes a panhandler will hit me up for change, they will usually settle for the nickel deposit cans in the truck bed, or on rare occasion a car will slow down and go around the block casing to see if theres anything to grab (see the post under "Hood").

I bought this little truck safe many years ago, its bolted to the seat anchor and in it I keep my wallet and any cash left by customers so all I have on my person is a handful of change.

Overall I would think the US is generally violent-crime free but tranquil street scenes dont make good news copy. People are afraid of what they dont understand. I spent ten years in what many would consider the 'hood so I understand what most of these people go thru and have to do to keep from becoming prey to others so these areas and their people dont bother me.

Richard Martin
09-26-2000, 12:25 PM
Southside wrote:

{Over here the media portrays the US as crime infested. Where tourists get shot in drive by shootouts by guys with baggy trousers and hats on backwards.}

Far from it. While we do have the highest per-capita of people in our prisons in the industrialized world they are in there and we are out here. If you are going to use the media for educating yourselves on the U.S. how about we do the same for you. I think probably for the last 10 years the only thing I have seen about the "Land Down Under" (with the exception of the Olympics)has been on a TV show we have here called World's Wildest Police Videos. You all must have a lot of wild crazy drivers running everywhere crashing and hurting people constantly. See what I mean about letting the media feed you propaganda?

Scraper
09-26-2000, 12:30 PM
Not to mention the portrayal by our media of the aborigine oppression (brought about by the Olympics and Cathy Freeman). I can't say that we don't have the same thing here with the American Indians.

KirbysLawn
09-26-2000, 12:33 PM
No real problems here in Charlotte. Only once have I carried my HK 40 while mowing, I was doing a job for my uncle in a less than desirable part of town, no problems though.

bob
09-26-2000, 01:01 PM
My truck got shot with a paint ball gun. One yellow blob, in rinsed right off. Thats the worst thing that ever happened, knock on wood!

River Hill
09-26-2000, 01:43 PM
The only thing I thought was in Australia was crocs, kagaroos and Croc. Dundee. Now after watching the olympics I now know you have cities as well. Foster Beer Foster Beer Foster Beer

cos
09-26-2000, 02:07 PM
When mentioning the word "Australia", you would thing that there is alot of baron land and rough, rugged saloons in everytown, but like you said the media portrays everyone differently. Like the foster beer commercials for instance. Here in the US, Where I am from anyway, you don't see crime like you are describing. Most of that happens in the city's. There are definitely streets that you can't turn down simply cause of your skin color. It's sad to say, but there are high crime areas in certain areas of the country that people would kill you for a dollar. The value of life to them is not important. I once was riding in a UPS package car and had stuff thrown at me cause I was a white male in an all black neighborhood. I'm sure Austarlia is just the same when it comes to crime, there are for the most part good people and there are people that just weren't raised on good ethics. Crime is everywhere.

eslawns
09-26-2000, 02:51 PM
I had a guy try to rob me in '96. He had no idea I'm a cop also. When I reached, it was NOT for my wallet. Too bad for him. I don't know who was trembling harder. He'll be gone for the rest of his life on his third (3 strikes law) armed robbery conviction. I made the mistake of driving (unarmed) for a pizza place last winter. Two hoods robbed me with a .38, never went out again without cuffs, cell phone and my Glock. I've been involved in other things, but it was not as a victim.

GrassMaster
09-26-2000, 02:56 PM
Hello Southside:

The bad thing about press is that Bad Press Coverage is what makes the News? People not as much interested in Good News as Bad News?

Southside Said Quote:
>> Have any of you been hit,mugged,shot,stabbed,raped,invovled in a drive by shooting or otherwise had crime problems while on the job??<<

Yes everyday & we've labled most of them & maybe you've heard of some of them! Doctors, Lawyers, IRS, Lawsuits, Rich broke people that live in $500K & up homes, LOL they all live on budgets. The list goes on but you get the picture?

>>Been assaulted by a customer?<<

Yes, everytime we bill them & you see what we get in return. The Blue hairs are the worst!

>>Assaulted a customer?<<

Yes, sometimes at night while we are asleep, most are dreams for us & nightmares for them!

>>Over here the media portrays the US as crime infested.Where tourists get shot in drive by shootouts by guys with baggy trousers and hats on backwards.<<

I would not say crime infested about the US, maybe a few places. Most bad places are just like where you are, you know where they are & you learn not to go there. They are their own worst enemy.

>>baggy trousers and hats on backwards<<

Yes they are a problem, LOL sometimes they come knocking on my door acting like they know my daughter? I'm from JawJa & 8 up with the redneck & after I talk to them, most of the time they never come back. The ones that do they are hard to reconize because then they act & dress different. LOL, they look normal & then they get to come in my house?

>>Over here we have some bad areas where I don't work.<<

We have them over here too & best to stay away from them!

>>Had an employee once who was repairing a fence on a subdivision and was approached by a junkie wanting his wallet. Employee produced large claw hammer and went to town on this junkie with it.<<

Just like every where else, some people think they can get away with anything.

The main problem is & I think everybody would agree, is good news is not very popular. Most of stuff on TV is not worth watching anymore, very corrupt. TV probably hurts us more than anything. LOL, I watch maybe 2 hours a week & 1 hour of it is Star Gate (SG-1) the other news. I have 5 TV's in house, when we want to watch something we have it.

I am watching the Olympics a little, but getting very disapointed in it. My 9 year old daughter is asking me about the drugs that they are taking & I'm having hard time explaining it to her. I've never heard of most of them. I think a lot of it is just a bunch of crap! The problem is she is getting the wrong impression & it's not fair! They are Great People, one of the most popular games & it's now being played in a Great Country!

Like I say the News Media is playing on anything negative that they can, because the mind set of most people is that they want to hear the negative. This is what the news media wants, because they set the scenario for this & it's not fair for the young that do not understand. Also not fair to people that do not know about others, except for what they hear on TV?

All in all we are good people just like you are, maybe not as straight forward as you. Believe me you have a very good quality in you that I admire. If everybody would be straight forward & not beat around the bush or hold it back the world would be a lot better place to live in.

I would love to come over & visit your country & you. Drink some beers(LOL, lots of them) & cruise over to Tasmania on a nice big speed boat. That would help make my life complete.

greenlawncare
09-26-2000, 08:01 PM
no problems. just don't go into areas where you're not wanted. like one time I was up in Cairns and in the back streets I knew I was not wanted. cairns was more dangerous than texas Southside!!

Twotoros
09-26-2000, 08:15 PM
Here in central wa.(yakima) we have been in the top4 or 5 spots for crime in our state many times beating out seattle/tacoma.40% of the county(or more) is hispanic and although the majority are good people there are plenty of drug run'n orginized crime types and more than our share of bangers. Couple that with low wages across the board = crime.
Don't judge America by the media it is a good place . There are places not to go when you visit , I'll meet you in seattle for a beer rather than you coming over the mountains to me. You will feel safer.

Bobby
09-26-2000, 08:49 PM
Hey GrassMaster
baggy pants and hat on wrong?
I had the same problem with one just like that. I knew my daughter was on her way home, walking with him. I decided it was time to clean the Browning and my old 4-10.
On the front porch,of course. He made it to the sidewalk, took one look at my operation and decided to evacuate. He has'nt been back.

cos
09-26-2000, 11:02 PM
hey bobby,

did you also tell your daughter not to hang out with the rodeo clown, wannabe. I blame alot of the parents these days for sending their kids out lookin like they just came from the circus. I 'm glad to here that you don't want that little sideshow showing his face around your property. His pants were probably half way down his arse too. Gotta just love that urban look.

Bobby
09-27-2000, 08:25 AM
Hey cos
Your right on about the parent factor. My brother is having a problem with his son. Someone said (he needs his little a-- beat), I replied (no, his parents need their a-- beat). Our actions are far more instructive, or destructive than our words.
Oh yea,she's in JROTC at high school and is not a follower of the looser mentality that is prevalent in our school system down here.

[Edited by Bobby on 09-27-2000 at 11:34 AM]

cos
09-27-2000, 02:10 PM
Bobby,

Let me tell ya, your the kind of neighbor i would want and need. I had a neighbor up the street with rotten kids my age. we just got finished filling our brand new pool and wouldn't you know it, "caplunk", a couple dirt balls land in the clean just filled pool. We both ran to the front of the house and low and behold there they are running into their parents house. Easy enough, we are gonna tell their parents about their dirty deeds and problem solved. BUT, we knock and tell the one little bast@#$'s mom and she says "they were here playing atari the whole time" Of course they walk to the door and say hey what is going on here (all out of breath, just like they have been running away from someone in a hurry). If it was me at the age I am now, I probably would have grabbed that lady and dragged her by the hair to show her our pool, but you can't do that these days, because of the legalistic society that we live in.

Toroguy
09-27-2000, 03:59 PM
Havnt been a victim yet. I ve had hustlers try an sell me drugs, booze, jewelry and some stolen tools, all of which I declined. I'd have purchased some lunch however.

southside
09-28-2000, 06:20 AM
Wow,doesn't sound so bad after all.
Some parts of oz sound worse. We have the 2nd highest level of car theft in the world after Britain. Yes we do have some wild car chases here. Aboriginals here have been oppressed,and in the 1800's 80% were wiped out.
Fosters is not very popular here.
We mainly sell it to you guys. :)

Karl