PDA

View Full Version : Grass Growing Too Fast???

J.R. Lawn Care
06-23-2003, 09:53 AM
Hi all,
I'm not in this business that's why I'm asking this (?), Why the JR Lawn Care?, just want to use that name:p
anyway here's the story:
My neighbor ask me if I knew why her lawn is growing so fast, she told me she must cut it twice a week because it's looks like haven't been cut in a month in just 4-5 days.
Could anyone tell me why is growing so fast????
I don't know what kind of grass it is but, there's something she can apply to the lawn or to the soil (like Lime) to reduce the fast growing? Thank you for your help in advance.

J.R. Lawn Care
06-24-2003, 06:37 PM
C'mon, that's not a hard question.

Could anyone tell me what product (if any) can she use?:confused:

Thank You....

brentlent
06-24-2003, 07:40 PM
I don't manage turf for a living either, but I've worked in the irrigation and landscape maintenance world and can probably guess why you haven't received any responses.

Your asking for a simple answer to a questions that could have many answers depending on a dozen variables.

For example:

Lime isn't a growth ******ant, however if you put enough down it would change the PH and effect the top growth. However, I wouldn't suggest it since it would start another list of problems.

Q) Is she/ someone applying fertilizer to the lawn?

If so, perhaps she/they put too much Nitrogen down and it's caused a lot of top growth. Answer, only put down the correct amount. What's the correct amount? It depends on the current level of N in your soil, type of grass you a growing, etc.

Q) Is the property irrigated?

If so, check to make sure it's not being over watered. What's the right amount of water? It depends on your soil, type of grass, rainfall received, evaporation rates, etc.

Long story short. If she wants to mow less, tell her to call a qualified turf company (not TrueGreen Chemlawn) to get her on a program. If she really wants to cut down ask them to spray a growth ******ant like Primo Maxx. Legally, she can go out and buy a gal. and spray it herself, but it's not likely she will know how to spray it at the correct rate and obtain proper coverage. Also, I think it's $400-500 a gallon.

brent