PDA

View Full Version : How many OLD Dodge trucks.......

grasscatcher2k3
06-23-2003, 11:08 AM
I love the looks on the Dodge trucks, especially the new ones. I like the Fords next (you should see the '04 F-150!!!), then I like the Chevy's last. However, the Ford and Chevy's have a proven track record, they last. Here is where I pose my question......How many OLD Dodge trucks do you see running around anymore. I see a lot of old Fords and Chevy's, but no Dodges. What happened to the Power Wagon's. Not intending to "Dis" the Dodge guy's, but I hope the new Dodge trucks last longer than the old ones. GOOD LUCK!

mag360
06-23-2003, 12:46 PM
late 70's to early 90's dodges don't die. I went 220,000 at least on the original drivetrain of an '87 power ram. About to hit 200,000 on a '90 power ram.

grasscatcher2k3
06-23-2003, 01:28 PM
How many trucks did Dodge produce between those years vice how many do you see on the road today. I'm not saying that Dodge is ****, but I would be cautious in buying one simply because I've been from here to Indiana on trips and see very few if any Old dodge trucks. Plenty of Chevy's and Ford's though. OK...OK....I'll say it.......DODGE IS ****!.....

Just kiddin'.

grasscatcher2k3
06-23-2003, 01:29 PM
C R a P. I didn't thing that was a cus word. Not here in Va anyway.

Gravel Rat
06-23-2003, 04:01 PM
Dodge isn't the best quality trucks the biggest problem is the body falls off of them the fit and finish in the body isn't that great.

You do see more old Ford and Chev trucks on the road because they are a better quality truck, around its Ford and Chev country its the two dominant brands. Dodge isn't that common even newer Dodges are not that common this area is most made up of two industries Forestry and Commerical fishing. The loggers almost own all Ford trucks the commercial fisherman are Fords or Chevs the excavation contractors are Ford or Chev.

Ford and Chev do have a proven track record so guys that need a good work truck buy them most loggers won't take a Dodge into the bush. Its the same with the gravelmines its pretty rare you see a Dodge used either its Ford and Chebbys covered in white dust and caked with dirt.

hunter
06-23-2003, 06:42 PM
i have a 92 dodge dakota with over 260,000 miles and still going strong. of course it has the 318 V8.

Bob Minney
06-23-2003, 08:44 PM
I have a 75 power wagon that I use for some clean ups, branches from pruning and hauling mulch etc. Only drive it 2-3 k miles year.

Mowingman
06-23-2003, 10:05 PM
I think the old Power Wagons were pretty tough trucks. You will find a whole lot more Dodge 4x4 trucks from the 50's and 60's around than you will Ford or Chevy trucks from that era.
In fact, I have 2 1958 Dodge W200's and one 1959, W300M.
I was just at a truck rally and swap meet where there were 98 old Dodge 4x4 trucks. Some had been rebuilt, but some were still running daily without any major rebuild. I bet you could not get that many 50's and 60's Ford or Chevy 4x4's together in one place. :D

grassdaddy
06-23-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Mowingman
I think the old Power Wagons were pretty tough trucks. You will find a whole lot more Dodge 4x4 trucks from the 50's and 60's around than you will Ford or Chevy trucks from that era.
In fact, I have 2 1958 Dodge W200's and one 1959, W300M.
I was just at a truck rally and swap meet where there were 98 old Dodge 4x4 trucks. Some had been rebuilt, but some were still running daily without any major rebuild. I bet you could not get that many 50's and 60's Ford or Chevy 4x4's together in one place. :D

If you find a 50's Ford 4x4,you better buy it.1959 is the first year they offered 4x4 in a pick-up.It was a conversion,it wasn't all ford. Ford did build a jeep(GPW)before that,Im not sure the yrs.
Those old BIG Dodge 4x4s are cool,M37 is it?:rolleyes:

grasscatcher2k3
06-24-2003, 04:09 PM
I don't think you could get 1/8th as many Dodges in one place with Ford's and Chevy's. Go to trucktrader.com and do a search. I searched for 1950 thru 1980, $100 thru $30,000:
Ford: 300 ads
Chevy: 182 ads
Dodge: 30 ads

I'm willing to put some money on it that the reason that there aren't so many Dodge trucks for sale is NOT because people are EXTRA proud of then nor have they become such HOT collectors items. They have always been an inferior product when it came to trucks. Some of their hot rod cars have been real nice, but trucks..........NOPE. I still like to look at them, but real REAL leary of purchasing one. They make the F-150 here in town (Norfolk, Va) and let me tell you.....if you haven't seen the new 2004 F-150, I really think you're going to like it.

Keep it safe out there guys/gals.

Mowingman
06-24-2003, 08:15 PM
grasscatcher,
I am talking about 4x4 trucks, not any others. Rerun your search for 4x4 trucks from 1946 - 1969 and see what you get. Also, try the same search on e-bay motors. Dodge should come out way ahead, that is if anyone is willing to sell their's.:D

Randy J
06-24-2003, 10:32 PM
"Go to trucktrader.com and do a search. I searched for 1950 thru 1980, $100 thru $30,000:
Ford: 300 ads
Chevy: 182 ads
Dodge: 30 ads"

Now look up how many Chevy, Ford & Dodges were produced during those years. You're comparing apples to oranges. If anyone (Gravel) wants to start a bashing trucks thread again, you couldn't pay me to take a mid-80's GM. In MY opinion, they were a piece of junk - My Dad owned several. The dash was hard to read, the stereo and HVAC controls hard to work, and the "DuraGrille" melted and warped from the heat of the headlamp. And I can come up with just as many complaints about Fords. Around here, I have yet to see an early 90's Chevrolet or Ford that doesn't have rust. The Dodges from those years are mostly diesels, and are holding up pretty good. For MY money, Dodge, with a Cummins, is the best work pickup going. What really hurts is that I sold my Dodge recently and now am down to just a 1 ton Ford - ouch! I did own a '79 3/4 ton Dodge 4X4 club cab that was a really stout truck. In short, I think the reason you don't see many older Dodges, is that there weren't nearly as many of them produced as Fords or Chevys. Anything will last if you take care of it, and nothing will if you abuse it!
Randy

John Gamba
06-25-2003, 08:10 AM
I Have a 1990 W250 4 Speed, 175000 And still Going Strong.
John

jeslaw
06-25-2003, 08:43 AM
My 1995 Dodge has 212,000 miles on it, mostly trouble free. Still getting 20/22 MPG with 5 speed tranny (2 wheel) drive.

Expecting that truck will continue to go for at least another 100,000 or more miles without major breakdowns.

Mudmower
06-25-2003, 03:28 PM
Sold my 1992 D-250, 4x2, diesel, automatic to a lawn care guy who has four crews. He has only 1992 and 1993 Dodge Club Cab diesel trucks. Mine had 285,000 miles and ran great. I will agree though that the body was falling down around the engine (Mighty Cummins B). I still see every so often pulling a trailer load of equipment.

I bought a newer Dodge, and will own only Diesel trucks from now own, specifically Cummins powered rigs. If Dodge EVER puts anything other than a Cummins in their 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, they are sunk.

Long live the Mighty B Series............

grasscatcher2k3
06-25-2003, 04:46 PM
The key here is my original post........."How many OLD Dodges" do you see around. I guess I should narrow the range here. Lets say from 1950 thru 1980. I'm sure that the diesel engines that cummings puts into these trucks are very reliable. I question the steering system and the start system in particular, especially in the old ones. I want to say that Dodge/Chrysler was the first to have an electronic ignition and just like anything that is new technology, it had a lot to be desired. Unfortunately, they continued using the same ignition system for years. I remember the "Brain Box" going bad a lot. The distributor itself is good, but the computer is no good. Let's keep the Dodge comments/bragging to OLD Dodge trucks. Lets face it, who doesn't remember that whine that the older Dodge vehicles made (from the starter) during cranking and cranking and cranking? The main problems that I've HEARD of yet not experienced all for myself, is front end problems. I never asked how many miles one has on his/her truck. I can rack up a half million miles on my Ford if I 1. took extra good care of it or 2. Drove like a Granny. I also consider how inexpensive parts are for the older fords but particularly the Chevy's. 350cdi engines are a dime a dozen and parts for them are the same. Just some thoughts.

Lot's of DUI's here in Va. right now. Hope it doesn't continue here nor develops a trend nationally.

Randy J
06-25-2003, 05:03 PM
Again you're going to have a hard time talking about old Dodges, because they just weren't produced in the numbers of old Chevys or Fords. I think there's probably nothing better looking than a late 30's, early 40's (before they quit making them for the war) Dodge truck. And I really like the 60's square Dodge. As for suspension woes, there ain't much worse than a Ford twin I-beam suspension.

Randy

grasscatcher2k3
06-25-2003, 05:19 PM
I beg to differ on the amount of general vehicles that Dodge produced. They didn't scale back from military applications until well into the '60's. Look,,,,,,,I simply noticed that, even on the internet, I can't find an old Dodge truck for anything. I see many many other truck manufacturers out and about. Do you not remeber the whine from a Dodge cranking and cranking? Starters were so small in the older (even some of the newer) Dodge trucks that they made that god-awful sound. Just one man's question and opinion.

I think the horse is dead.

Randy J
06-25-2003, 05:32 PM
No domestic vehicles were made for a couple of years in the early 40's due to factories being converted for the war effort. I'm not talking about military application vehicles at all. As for the starter whine, that was common to all Chrysler vehicles, and was annoying. All I can tell you is that Chrysler is nowhere near as big as GM or Ford, and never has been. Therefore not nearly as many trucks were produced by Dodge as by the other two. It just makes sense that they are going to be more rare than GM or Ford trucks. As for why you can't find any, I can't help you with that.

Randy

grasscatcher2k3
06-25-2003, 05:40 PM
Randy you have sparked my interest in production numbers. I'm going to do some research on that. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Hot and Humid in Va. today.

Randy J
06-25-2003, 06:13 PM
Please share your results, I'm curious as to the exact numbers also. It's been hotter then heck here also, but rain's coming through, so maybe that'll help.

Randy

Gravel Rat
06-26-2003, 01:41 AM
I remember those old Dodge gear reduction starters they would kill the damn battery before the engine started and if your batteries are low forget it. The engine would have to fire right away if the engine was flooded you would be better off rolling it down a hill to start one (manual).

Dodge trucks always have been 10 steps behind Ford and Chev look how long it took Chrysler to realize maybe we should build a diesel fullsized P/U truck.

Dodges bodies were not the greatest they were built poorly and UGLY :laugh:

Dodge did have suspension problems front and rear the frames where not that good either.

You don't see many Dodge cab and chassis trucks around (any year range) Ford and Chev are the most dominant then Dodge isn't bright enough to build a crewcab.

Mowingman
06-26-2003, 08:15 AM
Gravel Rat,
Dodge built the FIRST crewcab pickup way back in the early 60's. Way before Chevy or Ford. However, they were not smart enough to update it through the years and keep it in production.:D

danzig
06-28-2003, 02:20 AM
Ok lets get this straight. There were not as many dodge trucks produced in the years specified as were chevy and ford trucks. Sure those old dodges were ugly but baby they dont call them power wagons for nothing. Dodge may have been the last to offer a diesel but they were the first to do it right by offering a medium duty diesel with a turbo versus a gas conversion diesel or a non turbo combine engine. Noone can tell me that a chevy is a better truck than a dodge period. I have not seen a chevy that was built as heavy as a dodge or a ford. An old w-100, 200 or 300 will pull just as well as any ford of the same year. Some people seem to forget that ford has had its design flaws also(hmmm, extra holes in a frame to reduce weight). A 440 or 400 engine is a powerhouse that will run with any other bigblock ever produced by the other 2 makers. An old dodge truck is built solid,has power to spare and can haul weight just as well as any other brand out there. Want to have some fun ? Hook up an old dodge 4x4 to another truck of the same year and see who gets pulled around. I have had all 3 makes of trucks and sorry but i prefer a dodge. I like a dodge because it has balls. Yes ford has a good truck also but i prefer a cummins to a powerstroke. Why you ask? I have put many miles on cummins diesels and they last and last. I have used powerstrokes buy my expirience is that they are not built as well as a cummins and they do not give nearly the miles of service that a cummins does. Ford sells more cummins powered medium duty trucks than powerstroke powered med duty trucks. Whats up with that???? Stick that in your tailpipe!!! Give ma a 68 charger with a 428 hemi over any other so called mucle car of that era!!! See ya in my rear view mirror.

grassdaddy
06-28-2003, 10:21 AM
Hey Danzig--thats a 426hemi,not 428.;)

deere ZTR
06-30-2003, 01:03 PM
I have a 78 W200 that I bought last fall had a plow and a dump box with a club cab. I had to put a new 318 in it the one that was in it spun a rod when the oil pump **** out and they just kept driving it. Its pushed more snow than every body on here put together. Its not as nice to look at as the newer trucks but man is it a working monster!!!:D

Randy J
06-30-2003, 02:43 PM
Personally, that's my favorite body style. I love the looks of those trucks. How does the 318 work? I had a '79 with a 360, and it was a gas hog!

Randy

deere ZTR
06-30-2003, 06:27 PM
The 318 is one hell of a motor!!!!! Nope not good at all on gas either. I dont know what it gets for mpg and thats probably good it would probably make me cry. The truck is just an all around hard working stand up machine!

Albemarle Lawn
07-03-2003, 11:36 PM
"The only thing worse than Ford junk is Dodge junk, BOWTIES and GMC's rule":angry:

hunter
07-04-2003, 10:24 PM
my 318 gets about 18 on the highway and about 8-9 towing. Not the best but it will hual eveything I want and then some. I've pull my 16 car hauler with three head of brick without any problem.

the 318 is the best gas engine dodge put in any truck. it a work horse.

Bob Minney
07-08-2003, 08:36 PM
Mines got the 360 & auto. A real gas hog but does the job and got a great deal on it. Has about 150K miles on it. Found a pic.

John Gamba
07-08-2003, 09:02 PM
1990 W250 4 Speed,4 Wheel On the fly,318, 175000 Miles Run's New.
This was Taken Last year.

HarryD
07-10-2003, 12:59 AM
GMC is junk thats why you see so many of them on the road :eek:

Randy J
07-10-2003, 08:46 AM
That's a right pretty truck John.

Randy

LAWNGODFATHER
07-15-2003, 12:04 AM
I see a lot of old and new Dodges here, I own a few new body style myself.

Doesn't help any that they were assembled here.

For the argument above, demographics plays a huge role in it, when you search traderonline, you can only search 200 miles away.

Dan's lawn care
07-15-2003, 07:21 PM
my dads carpentur has a 89 3500 cummins has had no prob with at all he does is basic stuff to it

Dan's lawn care
07-15-2003, 07:35 PM
I have a 94 Ram reg. cab and short bed 2wd and it has a 360 at that thing is a beast. Ford and Chevy :rolleyes: