PDA

View Full Version : Mulch beds next to the house?

Helimon
06-23-2003, 06:28 PM
I have a year old brick home with beds basicly all around the perimeter. I was thinking that I would like to replace the pine straw with some nice hardwood mulch. However, I am not sure if this is a good idea or not. Would the presence of the mulch potentially attarct termites? If so, what are other options?

Thanks,

Matthew

ElephantNest
06-23-2003, 06:38 PM
Try cypress, top grade, shredded. Keep it about 4 inches from the brick. Top grade cypress mulch is naturaly insect resistant. I use no-float top grade, usualy by the bag, unless for a larger job.

lucky4511
06-24-2003, 05:59 PM
My termite man told me that mulch does not attract termites to your home....the nests are already there if they come to the mulch. Premium dark hardwood mulch is an excellant choice because it easily biodegrades; and a seminar I attended several years ago they told us that cypress mulch does not decompose and robs the soil of nitrogen.

ElephantNest
06-24-2003, 06:16 PM
It sure decomposes in my garden. Each year I need a fresh layer, and never had problem with nitrogen. In fact, our is probably the most healthy garden in our neighborhood, and has been for three years now. Nothing but cypress goes in my and my customers gardens.

No offense, but maybe you should try getting your advice from professionals, in THIS business. Not the bug man. Sure he sees his share of termites, but obviously has no clue about mulch.

lucky4511
06-24-2003, 08:35 PM
I am a professional......and the termite information came from a licensed termite inspector and the mulch information came from a seminar given by professional landscape people.

blafleur
06-26-2003, 10:10 AM
I use cedar, and have never seen or heard of termites coming up to get the mulch. I also dont put much thought on the nitrogen robbing of mulch. Sitting on top of the ground, it gets most of the nitrogen it needs to decompose from the air, which is about 70% nitrogen. The normal nitrogen from fertilizing the beds should be enough.

Bryan

lucky4511
06-26-2003, 10:17 AM
I wonder if alot of homeowners fertilize their mulch beds? I live in an older neighborhood and I can tell you that since we moved in here we have passed termites up and down the street several times. When we replaced the rocks in the beds and added mulch was the initial time we found termites in our home...and the minimal damage, so I was happy that we did what we did, before too much damage was done...lol. Thank God for Centricon!....my problems are now gone forever! I was simply trying to pass on information that I received from other professionals.

have a GREAT day!