PDA

View Full Version : Had a bad day.

greenman
06-23-2003, 09:14 PM
I had a not so good day. I had my new trimmer and my BP stolen off my LOCKED racks today at Home Depot in broad daylight. I went in to buy a couple of water hoses and some R/U, came back out and...........gone! That's not the half of it.......about 6 weeks ago or so, in the same parking lot (Home Depot), I had my 21" stolen off my trailer, they cut the lock, dropped the gate, and took it! Luckily, I got it back about 15 minutes later (the idiots parked and went inside the store, a guy witnessed the whole incident). I wasn't so lucky this time:angry: :angry: So, now I have to come up with about $800 for a new trimmer and BP.:cry: :angry:

nlminc
06-23-2003, 09:30 PM
Greenman,

Sorry to hear about your equipment theft. Do you have ins.? I know ins. may not cover you for full cost, but a little helps. Maybe it is time for you to invest in a good enclosed trailer. I have a box truck that I store my equipment in. I'm hesitant about lettering it just for that reason.

Chris

LB Landscaping
06-23-2003, 09:39 PM
Hey Greenman that just plain SUCKS!!! Its a shame that you can't trust anyone anymore.:blob2:

Gr grass n Hi tides
06-23-2003, 09:44 PM
Man, that stinks. What did you do with the guy(s) that stole your 21er? You know, enclosed trailer or otherwise (even a locked building) I think if someone wants your stuff bad enough they will get it. You are proof of that.

TaussigLawnCare
06-23-2003, 10:16 PM
last year I had 2 echo 280s stolen at diferent times out of my parents garage(where I kept everything last year) and my blowers and hedge trimmers my parents house insurance covered it. - the 500 deductable

DLCS
06-23-2003, 10:27 PM
Aww man that sucks! I had a hand held blower stolen off my trailer a couple of years ago. I stopped at a Casey's to get a coke and someone had grabbed it. I got replacement cost insurance on all my equipment so I will never have to fork over the money after some dead beat steals from me.

mowin at the lake
06-23-2003, 10:38 PM
check with the store, some have surveillance cameras for the parking lots.

kane

Likestomow
06-23-2003, 10:56 PM
I've had that happen to me also. Actually it happened a couple of times.

It took me a while to understand that a paddlock is not a secure lock. ANY paddlock can be cut and your equipment taken away from you.

I have since gone to using the round locks like you see on storage buildings. They are about impossible to cut quickly, like a thief would do. I suggest that you find a way to order some keyed alike to make your life easier.

Also, don't put much faith in chains either. They can be cut as well.

Like I said, I have had two instances where my trimmers and blowers were stolen, but since switching to the round locks I haven't had any more attempts.

greenman
06-23-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by mowin at the lake
check with the store, some have surveillance cameras for the parking lots.

kane

Nope, this Home Depot has no cameras. The police told me that this was the 2nd theft in 2 weeks from there. I informed the store that from now on that I would PARK RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE DOOR ON THE CURB and that if they didn't like that, I would take my business across the street to Lowes, or get some security, they had no comment.

Originally posted by Gr grass n Hi tides
Man, that stinks. What did you do with the guy(s) that stole your 21er?

Come to find out, these 2 guys had outstanding warrants for theft already. They were hauled off to jail. Now for some stupid reason I was issued a subpoena for this incident. I have to be in court this Wednesday morning.

Originally posted by nlminc
Greenman,

Sorry to hear about your equipment theft. Do you have ins.? I know ins. may not cover you for full cost, but a little helps.

Chris

I have insurance on my truck but not on my trailer and equipment. I was quoted a price of $1200 per year with a $500 deductible. I figured instead of paying insurance, I would put that money in an account in case there was a theft. Save some money in the long run. BUT, if had a ZTR or 2, yes I would deifiitely have insurance on my equipment. I have enough costly insurance now as it is, liabilty insurance.

So, now i'm off to buy a new T230 (again) and a BP (any suggestions?) Shindaiwa BP?

Oh BTW, anyone lend me $800?:D

j_loppy
06-23-2003, 10:59 PM
Sorry to hear that too. I had a br400 stolen a couple years ago. Of note; I have seen some LCOs park their stuff at mini storages...not a bad idea if you ask me.

greenman
06-23-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by j_loppy
Sorry to hear that too. I had a br400 stolen a couple years ago. Of note; I have seen some LCOs park their stuff at mini storages...not a bad idea if you ask me.

I park my trailer at my house at night, no problems with storing/parking trailer. I was going from one job to the next and this store was on my way so, I stopped in, and man, I was unfortunate.

BSDeality
06-23-2003, 11:43 PM
.... and a BP (any suggestions?) Shindaiwa BP?

Echo PB 750

i got one a few weeks ago. i love it for $20 some dollars more than the pb 650 i got a much bigger air filter plus more padded straps, which is nice for having 25# on your back.

Gravely_Man
06-24-2003, 04:24 PM
That is some bad news. People taking what doesn't belong to them is costing your livelihood.

Gravely_Man

Rustic Goat
06-24-2003, 05:06 PM
Mentally takes a while to get over it when someone pulls that kind of garbage, even if you do get it back, feel for ya.

Anyone ever use a motion or shock sensor type alarm on their trailer, especially one man ops.?

cos
06-24-2003, 06:45 PM
The thing about theft like this is there is no consequesences for it. It burns me up to hear about people's tools getting stolen. There are people that wait at hardware stores for the right moment.