PDA

View Full Version : Garden tiller

grassdaddy
06-23-2003, 09:31 PM
Which do you prefer-rear tine or front tine?
front-300-400
rear-600-800

Mike Bradbury
06-23-2003, 10:51 PM
Do front tine tillers do anything well?

leadarrows
06-23-2003, 11:11 PM
The front tine tillers I have used jumped all over the place on ground that was the least bit hard. Besides the rear tine tiller I have now will rotate tines in ether direction. That alone is worth the extra money. Ease of operation is just a huge bonus. Mine is just a yard man and it works well. I have had it for five years I think. I want an old Troy-Bilt. I'll find the one I want one of these days. :)

Gravely_Man
06-24-2003, 03:16 PM
For garden work I use an older Gravely walk behind with a front mounted tiller for weeding or the rotary plow for breaking up unbroken soil. Not all front tillers are bad. The Gravely does a wonderful job and does not jump around in the least but then again the tractor weighs over 300 pounds and the attachment is close to 100 additional pounds.

Gravely_Man

leadarrows
06-24-2003, 03:59 PM
My son has two old gravely's with cycle bar and rotary mower attachments. I haven't seen a tiller for one. Do you suppose I could find one? Could you post a picture of yours?

Gravely_Man
06-24-2003, 04:20 PM
Leadarrows, I do not have a digital camera but if you go to Gravely.com and select the Professional 2 wheel and then click on the attachments you can still see pictures of the rotary cultivator and the rotary plow as they are still being sold. They are incredible attachments.

Gravely_Man

FrankenScagMachines
06-24-2003, 05:10 PM
Used to have a front tine. Hated it! 4 years ago we got a old Craftsman rear tine with a 3 1/2 hp Tecumseh and 18" width for $100. I didn't think it would last long or be good, but it's been about the most reliable thing in the shed (the commercial equip. is in the garage haha) starts first pull every single time even if it's sat all winter without being stored, old stale gas, etc. start it up and start tilling without warming up, it takes it. It has plenty of power for itself too surprisingly. It's been very good but I wouldn't recommend Craftsman! I think BCS is supposed to be very good. A guy I know has a 15 or 20 year old BCS with a snowblower, tiller, and rotary brushcutter attachment (similar machine to a Gravely I suppose) and some sort of Italian engine on it, wants $1800 for the setup I think :eek: must be good LOL
Anyway, rear tines rock! Don't even consider a front tine please do yourself a favor! Don't get one unless it's free LOL.

jrc lawncare
06-24-2003, 05:54 PM
Rear tine.Really is the only way to go.I have the troybilt horse model with 8 horse kohler.Great machine. For larger gardens or tilling sod, I have a jd 318 with hydraulic tiller that really kicks azz. Does hell of a job.

cos
06-24-2003, 06:24 PM
The rear tine is the best for now. I like the price I got on mine..... free. My GF's father gave me one. :)

FrankenScagMachines
06-24-2003, 07:21 PM
Here's my big rear tine rig ;)
36" tiller on Wheel Horse 520H, 20hp twin Onan engine hydrostatic drive, hydraulic lift. Works great.

AL Inc
06-24-2003, 09:31 PM
I like the rear tines better also. I have an old Troy Bilt Horse that is a nice machine. We don't use it very often, but it always starts when I need it.

leadarrows
06-25-2003, 06:22 AM
Pictures of the two Gravely's my son has in the barn. Maybe I should buy them off of him before he trades them for a dirt bike or something.:eek:

leadarrows
06-25-2003, 06:24 AM
What do you suppose these things are worth?

geogunn
06-25-2003, 08:05 AM
rear tine is the only way to go unless you are preparing landscape beds. then the tines in front are more manuverable.

GEO

Gravely_Man
06-25-2003, 08:51 AM
Leadarrows, Those two Gravelys look like they have seen some work. I would check your local paper or Ebay for what they are worth. Price is a very regional thing. They are great machines and very easy to work on.

Gravely_Man

drobson
06-25-2003, 10:29 AM
Since I got my Husq rear tine, I will never go back to a front tine unless the area is too small for my rear tine to fit. Although I do like to use the Mantis for the small stuff.

hnter
06-25-2003, 10:46 AM
front mount...on the dingo...
also use a front mount honda powered mtd for smaller bedwork...
and a mantis for really small bedwork...