PDA

View Full Version : I'll probably here it for this ?

lawndreamer
06-23-2003, 09:46 PM
With only mowing one account and just landed a small tree removal. I haven't acquired Insurance yet. I do plan to get it I don't like being on anyones property without it. I want to remove this small tree no way I can tear anything up. Not even the yard because tree is so small. Customer wants something stating he isn't liable for any damages or Injuries resulting from tree coming down. He wants something simple but does the Job. Anyone have anything they can email me they have used, or advise how I should write something up? For you all that want to attack me with the scrub, word listen. I intend to get insurance as soon as possible, I have even told every person that has a lco that not to change unless they are unsatisfied. My prices are competitive. Minimum is $25.00 so I'm not here to undercut only get my share and provide quality job. Thanks and please reply soon I need something by Thursday 6/26

Turf Medic
06-23-2003, 10:01 PM
Run by your local full service office supply ie Office Max, Office Depot, or Staples. They more than likely will have something that will work for what you want. They usually have all kinds of contracts available, that are applicable for you locale. You may have to search through them to find the one that you need, you are looking for some sort of waiver of liability agreement.

Better to get the insurance, but we all do what we have to do to get started. Take the money you get on this job to get the insurance, better yet get the customer to advance you for the job, go buy the insurance before you start, then you can both be protected in case you damage something or someone.

grassdaddy
06-23-2003, 10:01 PM
You got to get some liability ins.Its cheap if your sole ownership.I paid 70.00 down 33.44 a month for 300,000worth.Thats not the cheapest ive heard of either.:)

FrankenScagMachines
06-23-2003, 10:07 PM
I got $1 million liability for $56.75 first payment (paid at setup) and approximately the same amount quarterly (every 3 months). Never done tree work and my ins. probably does not even cover that...

Green in Idaho
06-23-2003, 10:16 PM
What is your idea of a "small tree"?

For one account and one tree or even a couple it's not worth paying insurance. It's not worth playing in the field if you are not qualified and insured to do it all the time.

That is like your buddy saying, "come help me cut this tree down and I'll pay you in pizza and beer. By the way, do you have something in writing that releases me from liability if this falls on the neighbor kids skipping by while you cut it?"

If homeowner is worried about some damage, there must be some risk there, right. Either don't do it without insurance OR get insurance and get in the biz full-time to make it worth while.

DLCS
06-23-2003, 10:16 PM
I could be wrong but if you do any kind of tree work, the premiums will be significantly higher. Tree work falls under a higher risk catagory.

drobson
06-23-2003, 10:26 PM
My insurance covers tree work up to 25'. This is at no extra charge from the landscaping insurance, but does not cover excavation.

I seem to be typing this same statement quite often lately, but here goes again. Keep in mind that insurance prices vary greatly by location. Some of you are saying that insurance is very cheap, but for me $1200 per year is as cheap as it gets around here. And some places will charge you over $2000 per year. That is for 300K. I pay quarterly premiums of $315. So dont' go by the quotes you get from people that are not in your area and then be blown away by the quote you get from your agent.

Frank2
06-23-2003, 11:15 PM
I would not give that guy anything in writing stating that I am liable if anything happens. If a customer wants a copy of my insurance declaration page, I will be glad to provide, but putting something in writing saying you are liable right off the bat is asking for trouble. If the customer insists on having this, I would pass on that job. Their will be others. Good luck.

teeca
06-24-2003, 03:04 PM
frank2,
very well said! tell the guy to do it him self! there's more to the story than were being told. as for the insurance, my liability is cheap, but when it comes to tree work, hang on, it's arbor time! i might trim small schrubs and branches i can touch standing on the ground, but thats it (for now anyway).

tiedeman
06-24-2003, 03:08 PM
I would first get some insurance, if you can't do that then I wouldn't remove the tree. Explain to him that you can't and that he should hire in an insured professional

lawndreamer
06-24-2003, 07:17 PM
GREEN IDAHO

For one account and one tree or even a couple it's not worth paying insurance. It's not worth playing in the field if you are not qualified and insured to do it all the time.

I am qualified and I'm smart enough to know it's not worth paying insurance for one account and a small job. I'm trying to start a business so I can go full time.

Turf Medic is the only one so far that has responded with the answer to my question. Where can I get the waiver from? I appreciate you all trying to help but I never asked if you would get insurance I asked about a waiver. Also I stated I wanted to get insurance as soon as possible. I'm smart enough to know it's best to get ins. but also smart enough to know they won't give a man ins, if he has no money.

FRANKSCAG, and GRASSDADDY

Thanks for the input but your rates are far different than the ones i'm finding in my area!

Greenie boy
If homeowner is worried about some damage, there must be some risk there, right.

There is risk with everything, so I never said there isn't risk Just that I'm confident I can do it without tearing anything up. Just like your confident you will get up in the morning and tie your shoes without tieing them in a knot.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-24-2003, 07:25 PM
Holdharmelss?

Green in Idaho
06-24-2003, 07:39 PM
Well, that would be called a service contract. It details that you are a contractor and homeowner is paying you $XX to remove the tree. etc. etc. In this case include a clause, "Homeowner is released from all liability related to services described in this contract. Contractor (DayDreamer) assumes all liabilties and damages resulting from said work and further agrees to pay for any and all damages.....

Even a handwritten document gets you want what you want.

Even a waiver of liablity from Office Max, while it might make you feel warm and fuzzy and the homeowner will proceed, it doesn't automatically do the trick-- neither does a service contract.

Very much like the employee /contractor relationship, you can have a piece of paper say what you want, it doesn't necessarily give you the legal result you want.

And lastly, free legal advice is worth what you pay for it...:)

lawndreamer
06-24-2003, 10:06 PM
I like that Daydreamer!!

I knew from previous threads that past the sarcasm there is actually intellect in there. I never realy thought of that the service contract with the waiver. Thanks for the help!