PDA

View Full Version : Manual or automatic and why?

FrankenScagMachines
06-23-2003, 10:46 PM
Which do you prefer and for what reasons? The stick in my truck is kind of fun but all the shifting sometimes gets old and it sure can't get itself off the line very fast... the 351 has lots of power but 1st gear is too low and 2nd a bit too high to take off in normally... kind of a pain. Now the automatic in our 1 ton van with the same 351 can really git from the line. The stick will catch up with an a/t but it's not for drag racing... mine shifts hard when you try to drive it fast (I know I'm not fully learned on it yet though). IMO a stick should be for sports cars and semi's.... JMO. anyways, which do you guys like and what do you like/dislike about it?

Imow4u2
06-24-2003, 06:46 PM
Well I am a standard fan, I had one auto in a 3/4 ton and that was the last...

As far as the van being faster? What year is the van? I believe Ford went to Sequential port injection in '92 or '93 this really helped the 351 and 460.

I'm guessing the van has a 3.55 rear.

What gear does the truck have?

With my PSD I really like the 5 speed, it's the most efficient way to get that 800+ ft. lbs. to the ground

FrankenScagMachines
06-24-2003, 07:12 PM
Truck is a '90 and van is a '92, both have 351 w/EFI but I suppose the van has that sequential port injection you speak of. The truck seems to warm up faster and have a more responsive rev just sitting in neutral but the van has better acceleration because the gears are different. Both are 4 spd with overdrive but the truck's got lower gears which makes take offs and accelerating very slow. Truck has 185k miles, van has 201k.
It's not that the manual isn't effecient at getting power to the ground, it is, but it has a horrible 0-60. Thanks.

Imow4u2
06-24-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by FrankenScagMachines
Both are 4 spd with overdrive but the truck's got lower gears which makes take offs and accelerating very slow. Truck has 185k miles, van has 201k.
It's not that the manual isn't effecient at getting power to the ground, it is, but it has a horrible 0-60. Thanks.

I was refering to Differential gears in the rear-end I'm guessing your van at 3.55 to1 and the truck being a 3/4 ton and a manual to have a 4.10 to1 ratio... If the truck has a tach let me know what the rpms are at 60 m.p.h. in 4th and I'll tell you the rear-end gear that you have..

It has been my experience that lower gears will make take off a pleasure with load and 0-60 times are better with lower gears.

If you're having trouble getting good 0-60 acelleration you neded to try Progressive shifting techniques. Using this you will find yourself in 4th at 60 if you are in a hurry or if not you may throw it into 5th at 50-55 m.p.h.... If you look in the book that came with the truck you will see a chart that will give you some speeds at which you should be shifting, the speeds listed are for Maximun economy.. If you're in a hurry or pulling a trailer you will stretch each gear out farther...

LAWNGODFATHER
06-26-2003, 02:45 AM
I betya the truck has 3.73 in the rear. BHB check the tag on the rear end. If not tag, someones been in it.

BTW I like auto cause I hate shifting in the small trucks.

In big trucks I would like auto's, but hauling big loads, with big diesels, sticks are far better.

My latest addtion has a 7spd.

Bigfoot
06-26-2003, 07:14 AM
I like a stick for hauling loads & pulling trailers. With our hills in East Tennessee it gives more control of the truck & you don't have to ride the brakes all the time. I have not had a chance to test drive one of new GM-Allison auto's so I don't know about them.

FrankenScagMachines
06-26-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Imow4u2
I was refering to Differential gears in the rear-end I'm guessing your van at 3.55 to1 and the truck being a 3/4 ton and a manual to have a 4.10 to1 ratio... If the truck has a tach let me know what the rpms are at 60 m.p.h. in 4th and I'll tell you the rear-end gear that you have..

It has been my experience that lower gears will make take off a pleasure with load and 0-60 times are better with lower gears.

If you're having trouble getting good 0-60 acelleration you neded to try Progressive shifting techniques. Using this you will find yourself in 4th at 60 if you are in a hurry or if not you may throw it into 5th at 50-55 m.p.h.... If you look in the book that came with the truck you will see a chart that will give you some speeds at which you should be shifting, the speeds listed are for Maximun economy.. If you're in a hurry or pulling a trailer you will stretch each gear out farther...

Tach shows around or just over 2,000 RPM at 60 in 4th. Yes, loaded it performs better than the van but empty it still feels like driving a tank LOL. The van is a 1 ton, 12 passenger for what it's worth. I'm not sure what you're talking about with progressive shifting techniques but I'm getting about that speed in those gears you listed... No manual came with the truck :( I guess I drive either slow or I'm not loaded much because I drive it about the same with trailer as I do empty. But I only have no more than 1,000 Lbs on the trailer which is a 6x12 open.

LGF I'll check the tag when I go outside later and report back.

blafleur
06-26-2003, 09:05 AM
I personally like standards in my work trucks, more control without wearing out brakes, more pulling power, cheaper, and less maintenance problems. But can definately be a pain in the *** in heavy traffic.

Bryan

GLS
06-26-2003, 02:55 PM
I prefer autos because I plow snow. If you plow, you know how much shifting is involved, and cluching will wear the heck out of your knee.

Ryan