PDA

View Full Version : problems with electric pto........

selph
06-24-2003, 07:16 PM
I have a 1998 Grashopper 725K with 225 hours on it. It has the 25hp Kohler twin. The electric PTO doesn't engage when I pull the button out. It tries to, but I have to tap the PTO with a hammer to get it to engage. Then it doesn't immediately get up to full rpm's either. I removed the pto assembly and looked for some way to adjust it but couldn't find any. It looks as though the clutch disc is too far away from the pressure plate. THanks for any help! Dave

Rustic Goat
06-25-2003, 01:31 AM
PTO sounds 'weak' for some reason, coil burning out, poor electrical connection, PTO switch giving out, etc.

Runner
06-26-2003, 12:59 AM
It's getting wore out... Period. The disk has too much worn off of it, and it can't make enough magnetic contact to engage. Beating on it with a hammer will not help it. If you want it to engage when it makes this "hissing" noise, try lowering the rpm's, and if this doesn't work, shut the mower off and rotate the discharge blade just a little by hand. It will kick right in, then. My clutch on my Lazer does the same thing, and has for 2 years now. I thought I'd have to replace it by now, but I still keep "bleeding" a little more life out of it. If you have the old type of Warner clutch that has the 3 bolts in a triangle configuration on the back, then the plate is replacable. If not, then it's the newer type, and the whole thing needs to be replaced. One note of consolation for you though, is that the new clutches are much better built and last much longer. I don't just mean the newer style, but the clutches that have been manufactured since '01. I hope this helps, and good luck with it.

selph
06-28-2003, 12:20 AM
It's the newer type. I guess I'll be ordering a new clutch. Thanks for the help! Dave

bob
06-29-2003, 12:17 AM
I've changed the clutches on my 2 Grasshoper 725'S. Its not too hard. After you get the new clutch in , don't forget to "burnish" it according to your owners manual.Then try engaging and dis-engaging the PTO at lower engine speeds. This will increase the clutch life.