PDA

View Full Version : Hour Meter

jaybee
09-26-2000, 03:12 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that every commercial mower should come equipped with an hour meter. I've had them installed on both my walk behinds, and they are only $40.00. Saves a lot of guess work on maintenance. Every year new mowers get a price increase. I'm sure manufacturers could include an hour meter in the increase.Bottom of the line mowers require the same maintenance that top of the line mowers do.

John DiMartino
09-26-2000, 03:53 PM
I have one on everything that isnt a throw away item.I have them on a few golf carts to give me an average for the fleet.I put them on the leaf blowers,and even on my gas pressurewassher.I pay 30 a peice for the tach/hrs meter.I buy 4 at a time.I like that they read without 12V,and register only when running,a must for carts,since the key is on all day,but engine runs only a few hrs.I like knowing the RPM's,since 1/2 of equipment comes delivered with the settings wrong.I noticed that almost everything I operate looses about 50-150 rpm's a year thru normal cable stretch and linkage and spring wear.I am lost without the meters,i use them for service,since i am not the only operator-I couldnt even guess the hrs my steiner gets without one.

Vibe Ray
09-26-2000, 05:11 PM
Are the hour meters reusable??? Can they be swapped to new equipment when the one with the meter is dead?

Eric ELM
09-26-2000, 06:35 PM
Mini Tach makes one that is resetable. Just take it off and put it on new equipment and reset it. Most good mowers have tachs now.

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
09-27-2000, 10:14 AM
all my mosers have hour meters that double as tachs when the engine is running. Makes maintance and ajusting a breeze.

jaclawn
09-28-2000, 06:51 AM
I agree that all machines should have one, BUT, I have owned just about every one of the digital spark induction ones out there, and they all work fine until they get wet. Once that happens, they are toast.

The 12v analog ones work fine though.

Eric ELM
09-28-2000, 08:07 AM
The meter on the old Chopper became toast several years ago from sitting outside all summer. I took that thin layer of plastic off and crazy glued plexiglass over it and it's holding up great. I don't know why thy use such thin material on the tiny tachs to start with.

lawrence stone
09-28-2000, 08:56 AM
I don't put hour meters on old machines anymore if it has a oil filter I only change the oil (full syn)and filter
once a year at the end of the season no matter how many hours the engine has operated.

I change the oil (full syn again) and filter in my truck and car every 25k miles.