PDA

View Full Version : Trimming around Swimming pool

fatboy5803
06-24-2003, 09:17 PM
One of my client's has a swimming pool and theirs a privacy fence also. No matter what I do I get clippings in the pool when using the string trimmer. The wind comes up and just makes a mess.. Any suggestions ?? Or do I just do the best I can and live with it ?

Lou :cool:

jeff_0
06-24-2003, 09:27 PM
i just do the best i can do and live with it... a few clipping always seams to get in the pools i trim around..

kels
06-24-2003, 09:30 PM
If you work with somebody and it really bothers you, let your helper run a blower behind you as you trim.

fatboy5803
06-24-2003, 09:37 PM
The blower idea is good, but I'm solo.. Thanks anyway...

Lou :cool:

tiedeman
06-24-2003, 09:40 PM
I know that you have probably already tried this...the trimmer head throws the grass clippings in one direction, so if you put the spinning for it flys out it might help.

MOW ED
06-24-2003, 09:50 PM
trim and then finish up with the strainer. Not much else you can do other than talk the homeowner out of grass around the pool.

Fossil
06-24-2003, 10:08 PM
One of my Shin 270's has a round Edgit. I edge around the pool as well as trim. I run lower RPM's, and angle the pool side of the trimmer lower. This seems to keep the debris to a minimum. When I blow, I aim the blower into the pool at about 45 degree angle as I walk around it. This lets the outside edge of the air blast push the debris away from the pool. Some will still get in, but it keeps it to a minimum.

thartz
06-24-2003, 10:30 PM
2bricks and a handheld blower.Put the bricks on either side of the blower to keep it from walking;worked for me.Just put it on idle and deflect the debris back at you.

Whatdefunk
06-24-2003, 10:46 PM
I always strain out the customer's pool when i am done. I do tell them up-front that I can't get everything out after mowing and they understand. After all thats what the pump and filter are for so don't worry yourself too much about it. I'm sure the homeowner couldn't't do as good a job as you are of keeping grass out of the pool anyway. I've never had a problem and if I do I will drop them as a customer............it's not worth the headache!

greenman
06-24-2003, 11:30 PM
As stated above ^

If I make a mess, I clean it up. Get debris in the pool, strain it out.

ow man
06-26-2003, 01:36 AM
Redmax has got a cool trimmer called a reciprocator. It's a trimmer that has two blades that reciprocate back and forth. I have used them, they drop grass straight down like a sickle bar. It's pretty good about not throwing rocks out in traffic also. Great around mulch.

pinnacle
06-26-2003, 01:57 AM
Mate Ive stuck all my pool cuts into one run and bought my self a Sthill SH 85 shreader vac. Now your probably thinking that these vacs are no good, and yes generally they are a bit of a toy but Ive had em all and the sthill been good for 3 years now. So run around with your blower and get all your debris into a corner and vac it up. This is the best way trust me!

the scaper
06-26-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by tiedeman
I know that you have probably already tried this...the trimmer head throws the grass clippings in one direction, so if you put the spinning for it flys out it might help. tiedeman, i'm interested, could you explain this technique in a little more detail please :)

rvsuper
06-26-2003, 11:07 AM
ow man,

Does the Redmax reciprocator have two circular blades? I think I've seen one before.

Gravely_Man
06-26-2003, 11:29 AM
I just trimmed as carefully as possible then use the skimmer to "fish" out the clippings. Takes extra time but that was built into the bid as was letting the customer know some clippings will end up in the pool.

Gravely_Man