PDA

View Full Version : For those who discharge clippings...

Four Star
06-24-2003, 08:38 PM
I'm looking for tips on keeping the lawns looking nice while discharging. This year is the first year I've discharged, and I have a problem with grass blowing up against the houses and such. I can just go the opposite way, away from the house, but then I have a huge pile of clippings, from discharging them all in the same direction. Any ideas?

awm
06-24-2003, 08:44 PM
the rain as magnified the problem.
cut it then raise the blade one level,and run over itv again . u will find it really disperses the clippings, well i hope.works for me

tiedeman
06-24-2003, 08:45 PM
no matter what when discharging you are going to have a problem where clippings get in the landscaping beds and around the house. Just go back afterwards with a blower and blow the clippings out and off from things. It all depends on the lay out of the propery. Sometimes when there are no landscaping beds around the house we shoot it towards the house, and all we have to do is blow off the foundation, thats all.

ksland
06-24-2003, 08:49 PM
We started discharging all this year too, as others have said...backpack blower over the messy areas, sounds like a pain and not worth it but it is.....you usually have to strap on the blower at the end anyhow, only takes a minute on most extra time and if real bad maybe 10 minutes but you will have saved more than 10 minutes by not bagging a real long lawn anyhow. With the right approach you cant tell if it was bagged or wasn't. Believe me I never thought I could get away with discharging but you can!

mag360
06-24-2003, 09:01 PM
It helps to use the throttle to your advantage---just throttle down when you are less than three stripes away from bed or other object. Also just plan ahead---stripe perpendicular to the house when the grass is especially tall or thick.

I can't wait to start mulching this summer---I hope to cut mowing time by 10% on smaller properties.

Bluesteel
06-24-2003, 10:18 PM
OTC, operator controlled discharge.

Rustic Goat
06-25-2003, 12:21 AM
You didn't say what you've done previously.
Why not mulch?

TJLC
06-25-2003, 06:33 AM
I used to side discharge. Then I went to an E-Z Chute. It worked ok but always left a trail of grass at the discharge side, so you would have to go over and over it to make it look good, what a pain. Now I run the full Exmark mulch kit on my TTHP and considering the conditions I'm mowing in, it does very well.

geogunn
06-25-2003, 07:47 AM
fourstar--mow two laps around the yard discharging away from the structure. then stripe back and forth.

GEO

Gravely_Man
06-25-2003, 08:55 AM
If you are able to keep up with the rain and getting to your accounts I find mulching the way to go. Better for the lawn and less work for you. If this is not an option then invest in a OCDC.

Gravely_Man

MasterForm
06-25-2003, 09:07 AM
We manufacture just the product you need:

www.masterchute.com

Best of both worlds.

Expert Lawns
06-25-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by geogunn
fourstar--mow two laps around the yard discharging away from the structure. then stripe back and forth.

GEO

This is what I do, it really cuts down on the amount of clippings thrown into landscaped areas and at the house. Also, I raise the deck and then twice cut it. If it is especially bad, I will go a bit faster, you'll be surprised how much better the clippings are spread out when you're moving faster. Just be sure that the grass is cut at your desired height first

RandyRhoads
06-25-2003, 01:22 PM
i know that you can cut down on windrowing by just taking a bungee cord and hold up the chute. Be warned though you can cause some damage and you should always aim away from the house but i do that at my grandmas house with her big John Deere and it just makes a big could almost of grass but you almost never get the leftover stuff. Though that masterchute thing looks pretty cool.:p

Four Star
06-25-2003, 09:02 PM
I used to mulch, but at the beginning of the year it was cutting very poorly, because the grass was so tall and thick. So I had the regular blades put on. Since I don't have any impact tools yet, I can't do this stuff myself, so I have to screw around and take the mower back to where I got it and have the mechanics do it.

o-so-n-so
06-25-2003, 10:12 PM
I do what "awm" said. If its a fairly large property, I cut all grass and let it lay to dry before going back for a second run. Its hard to let it lay there and look bad while you finish the cutting but this method can make a over grown lawn look decent.

1. Cut complete lawn.
2. Raise deck 1 increment and cut/blow thick clippings.

I have to tell my helper over n over..."let it lay and dry, then recut"

Live4Mowin'
06-26-2003, 12:03 AM
this may sound stupid but what is windrowing?

mtdman
06-26-2003, 12:33 AM
I gave up on mulching. I used to spend more time blowing the clumps from the mulcher than I do blowing the discharged clippings now. The mower cuts better when throwing the clippings out, and it cuts down on time for me. In the spring, I prop the chute up wider so the clippings can disperse better, with the old bungee cord trick. Then I put the chute down in the summer when things dry out.

As far as keeping clippings out of the beds, just try not to shoot them in there. Blow whatever does go in. Even if you mulch, the weed trimmer will throw clippings in the beds anyway.

Envy Lawn Service
06-26-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by TJLC
I used to side discharge. Then I went to an E-Z Chute. It worked ok but always left a trail of grass at the discharge side, so you would have to go over and over it to make it look good, what a pain. Now I run the full Exmark mulch kit on my TTHP and considering the conditions I'm mowing in, it does very well.

You guys should take the time to learn something from Bushog Boy. The thread that was closed due to flaming has the answer to the "trail of grass" problem. My mulch kit is actually designed with the discharge area built just like BHB's OCDC. It works flawlessly!

I mulch all the time. Discharging is too messy. I'd rather scrape the deck now and then than attempt to clean up the discharge at every stop.

mdvaden
06-26-2003, 01:46 AM
Regardless of certain lawn pro's and researcher's "enthusiasm" about leaving clippings, we will not, at least not at home.

I only needed one look at my kids feet after they played in the sprinkler on the lawn - and that was WITH picking up clippings.

Just for fun, I tried it once last month - what a joke.

Yeah, if it works go for it.

But organic matter is organic matter. And really, by the time grass blades decompose, they don't amount to that much.

I'm going to pay a local company to blow compost on our lawn in the fall every few years, then lime and aerate.

That will give far more organic material that clippings ever would.

This work is just never perfect is it?

M. D. Vaden of Oregon - www.mdvaden.com