PDA

View Full Version : little strip of grass left after mowing tall grass

jeff_0
06-24-2003, 09:41 PM
i never had this problem before.. but after my belt that turns the blades slipped, when i cut tall grass if leaves a small strip of grass towards the inside blade (meaning the blade that's on the opposite side that the grass shoots out) .. anyone have this issue before or have a suggestion what it could be. i have a 48 inch bobcat. belt is tight enough from what i can tell. i also tryed another set of blades..

tiedeman
06-24-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by jeff_0
i never had this problem before.. but after my belt that turns the blades slipped, when i cut tall grass if leaves a small strip of grass towards the inside blade (meaning the blade that's on the opposite side that the grass shoots out) .. anyone have this issue before or have a suggestion what it could be. i have a 48 inch bobcat. belt is tight enough from what i can tell. i also tryed another set of blades..

could just be the fact that its tall grass. sometimes double cutting is necessary.

jeff_0
06-24-2003, 10:17 PM
i know it's not do to the tall grass...

Tharrell
06-25-2003, 07:41 AM
Several possibilities. Worn out blade tips? Mowing too fast? Clogged deck not producing vacuum? Not using full rpm while cutting? Engine not set for maximum rpm? Maybe it's a combination of the above?

Expert Lawns
06-25-2003, 04:07 PM
I've had this problem before, and actually ran into it again not too long ago. Not sure what its attributed to either, I'd really like to know.

Tharrell : How do you know if your engine is set for maximum RPM's?

UGA
06-25-2003, 05:07 PM
My Surfer has the same problem and I always think it is because the grass is too tall because after double cutting the strip is gone but mine just has been leaving a weird cut too. It's like the discharge blade is cutting a fraction (1/10) of an inch higher than the other two blades. I've taken it to the dealer and we've banged on the deck and checked it with a straight edge and thought it was fixed but it is still there. Oh well didn't mean to get off of your topic. Are you using the same blades as before the problem started. I used a set once that left the strip due to being slightly too short even though they were the same length according to the manufacturer as all of my other blades.

Tharrell
06-26-2003, 07:04 AM
These engines have goveners so you hook up a tach and adjust as needed. I'd let a shop do it though. Most will do it for you n/c if you're a good customer and you suspect a problem. The biggest cause besides mowing too fast and dull blades is "short" blades. They may look right but when they're sharpened, sometimes they get rounded at the tips which actually makes them short.

dfor
06-26-2003, 07:09 PM
Try replacing the belt. Mine has done the same thing. I have a 54" Bunton wb (same as Bobcat). On top of that, it was leaving stringers all over. It was driving me crazy. New belt did the trick.

FARMERlawn03
06-26-2003, 09:58 PM
I have a gravley that was doing the same thing. I purchased a new belt but it was'nt good enough then I tinghtened up the spindles and that solved the prob. Good Luck!

2 man crew
06-27-2003, 12:04 AM
It could be that the grass has seed stalks this time of year. Makes the grass cut funny.

Try some solid foil high lifts.

pinnacle
06-27-2003, 12:18 AM
Cheek ya blade disk for bends and your spindles aren't sitting slightly crocked . The problem could only be the difference of a one mm so have a bloody good look. My sabre tooth was doing the same thing for 2 mounth before I found a slight bent in the cutting disk so one of my blades was raised a mm . This is all it takes

Doc Pete
06-27-2003, 12:24 AM
In long grass, the grass is pushed down by the front castor in the same direction as the blade moves, and is not allowing the grass to pop back up fast enough to fully cut it down. I moved the castor on my bobcat and it cured the problem. I had the same problem with my old toro. Hope this helps.
Pete

pinnacle
06-27-2003, 01:00 AM
Cheek ya blade disk for bends and your spindles aren't sitting slightly crocked . The problem could only be the difference of a one mm so have a bloody good look. My sabre tooth was doing the same thing for 2 mounth before I found a slight bent in the cutting disk so one of my blades was raised a mm . This is all it takes

dcondon
06-27-2003, 09:00 PM
maybe try a set of high lift blades. That makes a big difference on our 60in Cub

Likestomow
06-29-2003, 08:06 PM
Here's your answer: it's normal.

When the grass is very tall, that deck is forced to process an awful lot of cut up grass. Just moving that amount of grass through the deck will cause an uncut strip to show between the blades.

I have a Dixie Chopper with double blades and also run into this problem. What I do to prevent it from happening is to just slow down!

I have cut lots with weeds up to my eyeballs (literally) and have had to mow back and forth two times (four passes) to produce a clean and level surface.

Sure, sharp blades help, and the correct deck pitch helps, but when you have that kind of volume you are going to have to mow slowly or go over it twice.

UGA
06-30-2003, 11:33 AM
Liketo mow, that is the same conclusion I have come to finally realizing that no mower is going to be like majic and somehow make all that WET volume disappear. Glad to hear someone else tell it like it really is.

redbull
06-30-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by jeff_0
i know it's not do to the tall grass...

What makes you so certain it is not the grass?

jeff_0
06-30-2003, 09:39 PM
it's not the height of the grass. i've cut the same yards at higher levels.. i'm going to try and tighten the belt some since it occured after the belt had slipped off the pullie this is the only thing i can think of.. it fells tight but i guess i can make it tigher...

tiedeman
06-30-2003, 09:46 PM
the only other thing that just recently happened to me is the blade length. I recently picked up my blades from the dealer on the shelf marked for the right mowers (at least that is what I thought). Lucky enough my dealer knew the blade numbers and my mowers and realized that the one set was smaller than what I needed. Some idiot put them back in the wrong area.

The difference.....only about 1/4 of an inch shorter compared to my usuals