PDA

View Full Version : worse job site ever in a day

tiedeman
06-24-2003, 11:45 PM
today we go to mow one of our regulars, well first a snapper was in the yard laying a nest, one of my employees almost lost a finger, hand, arm, whatever, because he tried to pick it up just thinking it was a regular turtle.
Next, their dog was loose and grabbed ahold on me on the sulkie and ripped a corner of my pants off.
Finally, to put the icing on the cake, I ran over some metal piece and it just so happened to heck the shoot just right that it came back at me and lodged into my upper arm. Lucky enough it wasn't deep.

So after my fun filled day, I want to hear others.

cos
06-24-2003, 11:46 PM
Just the heat.

Tx Firefighter
06-25-2003, 12:00 AM
Found two copperheads with my trimmer...

Saw the first one and killed it with a hoe. Ten minutes later, came back to show the homeowner, and a second one, very much alive, was laying right next to the dead one.

When I finished the job I went home and put on my jeans and Redwing boots. No shorts for me anymore...I can stand the heat.

After the copperheads, I needed to change the shorts anyway!:blush:

Popsicle
06-25-2003, 01:07 AM
I just about knocked myself out, twice, on the same frick'in branch. "Missed it by that much".

Movinfr8
06-25-2003, 01:15 AM
got my third account! was walking putting out fliers, and noticed a few yards in the neighborhood looked awful! discharged clippings way out in the street, in the yards, in the drives! I chalked it up to lazy homeowners, but I was trying to put a flier in the flag of one of their mailboxes, and the homeowner came out and we talked a while. their current "service" removes the dog-run anchors and doesn't put them back, REFUSES to bag, and evidently never heard of using a trimmer (or an edger)to edge.
not a bad yard, 10,000 sf or so, I quoted $35.00 I plan to hit the neighborhood again tomorrow!

crazygator
06-25-2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by tiedeman
today we go to mow one of our regulars, well first a snapper was in the yard laying a nest, one of my employees almost lost a finger, hand, arm, whatever, because he tried to pick it up just thinking it was a regular turtle.
Next, their dog was loose and grabbed ahold on me on the sulkie and ripped a corner of my pants off.
Finally, to put the icing on the cake, I ran over some metal piece and it just so happened to heck the shoot just right that it came back at me and lodged into my upper arm. Lucky enough it wasn't deep.

So after my fun filled day, I want to hear others.

Well at least the kid didnt come out and play cops and robbers with daddy's gun and shoot you too....LOL!

Sorry about your bad day. Look at it this way, they should get much better now because all the bad got you at one time! ;)

mower_babe
06-25-2003, 01:31 AM
Not as bad as your day-but,

one of the employees almost cut their foot, chainsawing. cut right behind the steel toe, just cut the sock. You could see skin. WHEW!

then, we are pulling, while sawing, a small tree w/ a rope attached to the truck hitch to help guide it. I am standing near the tree, as to push it away from some nearby hedges, if it came close. Of course, the rope breaks, the tree falls and I go down on my a**, with the tree on top. got the wind knocked out of me and scratched all to heck... That definitely sucked.

...we took a long lunch after that.

Gravely_Man
06-25-2003, 10:09 AM
Gosh it sounds like that was a day to just pack up and call it a day before someone really got hurt! Remember to be careful as you only get one chance when using power equipment.

Gravely_Man

Mickhippy
06-25-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by mower_babe
Not as bad as your day-but,

one of the employees almost cut their foot, chainsawing. cut right behind the steel toe, just cut the sock. You could see skin. WHEW!

then, we are pulling, while sawing, a small tree w/ a rope attached to the truck hitch to help guide it. I am standing near the tree, as to push it away from some nearby hedges, if it came close. Of course, the rope breaks, the tree falls and I go down on my a**, with the tree on top. got the wind knocked out of me and scratched all to heck... That definitely sucked.

...we took a long lunch after that.

This kind of reminds me of a time my boss about 14 years ago cut down this tree, well he cut and it started to fall but instead of running where the tree wasnt falling, he ran with it. I never laughed so much in my life. The tip of the tree just scraped his legs. He was white as a ghost and screaming, with fear, but I was on the ground with laughter. Reminded me of the cartoon,, Road Runner and the Coyote. It wasnt a huge tree. Maybe a 20-30m "lite" pine tree

Aside from that, I was trimming under a lemon tree yesterday and a little stick went just under my glasses and hit me just below my eye. Hurt like S##T and my wife today asked if I had "stigh in my eye"

Westbrooklawn
06-25-2003, 11:26 PM
Reminds me of a story told to me by an aquantence. Seems when he was younger he did some tree cutting on the side. He was working in a trailer park and wrapped a rope around his waist to pull a tree that his helper was cutting. Tree fell the wrong way and my friend went airborne.....threw him right through the wall of a mobile home and he landed inside a ladies living room. Luckily he wasn't hurt badly....but a costly mistake. STUPID!!!!...but I can't help but get a laugh out of that story everytime I think about it.

o-so-n-so
06-26-2003, 12:12 AM
Caught up on lawns.........Stump grinding all day....heat...dust...sweat........at least another 5 eight hr days of grinding left on this JOB.

fblandscape
06-26-2003, 12:29 AM
Helped a friend move today, after getting in this morning at 1/4 to 4 :cry: Never before in my life have I seen a woman with so many purses, shoes, and clothes. :rolleyes: She was kind enough to wake me by calling my cell phone, my house phone, and ringing the doorbell about 20 times at 10:00