PDA

View Full Version : Check out my flyer

lawndreamer
06-25-2003, 12:31 AM
I've handed out 150 of them only got one call. Lady said i was to expensive when I met her to price it though. 35.00 for a 4,000 sq ft hill :confused:

Let the critics become wolves, realy what do you think? I'm thinking needs spiced up, more professional. Friend threw it together doesn't realy want to edit or mess with it any more though. Lay into it so I can decide which way to go. Change it or hang some more.

studentlawn
06-25-2003, 12:41 AM
If i got that flyer i would personally call you up just to yell at you. Graphically, i really lke it, but your content kind of made me want to strangle you.

a) why would i want a cheap service?.. i read that and i felt like i was getting what i was going to pay for.. something cheap..
b)elderly... do they want to be reminded that they are too old to cut the lawn?.. most of them i find struggle with this and really never want to stop but are forced to, don't remind them
c) #3 sounds like you were just looking for filler
d) #1 is more filler
e) take on a company name and say we instead of me..

Also.. I would say 5 reasons to hire a lawn service.. give the reasons then have your company name on it.. i think its a less direct in your face approach.

And last thing, most people have their services for the year, so don't expect to much more. My two sense, just a little criticsm for your benefit

Sam

crazygator
06-25-2003, 12:45 AM
First of all, if you had done some searching here you would have found out that most flyers only get around a 1-3% call back.

Second, coming from an advertising/graphics design background I think it looks cheesy and unprofessional. Remember, you are advertising your company. If it looks like a professional flyer that is the image that will follow to your company in their minds, and the same with if it looks unprofessional.

Sell your company not some one liners.

Redesign it and try again.

I too think $35 for 4k is high. Sounds like a $25-$30 min range.

Rustic Goat
06-25-2003, 01:06 AM
Eye appeal = I really find it almost attractive.
It has a type of art nouveau about it.

Script= Is it meant to be jive?
Don't care for it one bit.
Each line is an insult unto itself.
Free this, free that.
You never say why anyone should really hire you. Even if you use the word professional or quality, the rest of the verbiage drowns that out completely.

Granny? It may be normal for someone to be called that by a grandchild, but it is very insulting in the ad.

Recap= I'd keep the looks, lose current wording. Whatever you do say, (5 reasons, or else) make it professional and it must have substance.

ElephantNest
06-25-2003, 02:00 AM
Too , not to. If you're going to insult people, you may as well spell correctly.;)

lildog132
06-25-2003, 03:12 AM
one more thing, 150 flyers??? I made 2500 this summer and passed them out, you can't really expect to get some call on 150 flyers can you?:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

mower_babe
06-25-2003, 03:18 AM
I agree with Rustic Goat...it has an odd sort of appeal to it-visually. It definitely is unique and catches the eye, but the content?.?.?.?.

mikesjumpingin
06-25-2003, 09:41 AM
I just started this year, too. Good luck.

I agree that you don't need to say "cheap". If someone needs thier grass cut, they already know why, and it is good timing if your flyer is on their door with a phone number. I just used friendly fonts and a friendly graphic. I just stated that I cut grass, do clean ups, trimming, etc., and to call me for and estimate, ~ thank you ~.

When people mention high or questionable rates, I say, "Yeah, the commercial equipment is a little expensive to pay off, but it's very reliable and the cut looks great."

I put out 1,000 door hangers, and I got my schedule booked for part-time grass cutting (approx. $500/week), with emphasis on reliability and my willingness to help out with some extra odd jobs. I've made extra money on clean ups, mulch, top soil, and landscaping. I don't know why they hire me, I tell them I have limited experience but I have a lot of new equipment to pay off, and I appreciate thier business.

I asked my clients what are the things they are looking for in a lawn service, and most emphasized reliable serice and clear billing. Rates are mentioned, but I never go lower than the last guy.

All your answers are here on lawnsite, good luck.

Mike

hboyd_com
06-25-2003, 10:33 AM
I struggle to find words to describe the flyer.... how about what everyone else said times 10.... and your price seems excessive but then again there may be circumstances that I am not aware of.... but how long will it take you to cut 4000 sf.... 10 minutes?

lawndreamer
06-25-2003, 10:40 AM
CRAZYGATOR

First of all, if you had done some searching here you would have found out that most flyers only get around a 1-3% call back.

lildog

one more thing, 150 flyers??? I made 2500 this summer and passed them out, you can't really expect to get some call on 150 flyers can you?

Two birds with one stone. I never said I expected anything more than 1-3% I told you my response incase anyone wanted to know.

To all others,

Big Issue over content, I realize that. I stated friend threw it together (I had no say in the content, but chose to use it) and doesn't realy want to edit it. I needed something fast he gave it to me, so I used it. I agree with the majority here, content needs changed. I'll not hand out another till I get it fixed.

drobson
06-25-2003, 11:40 AM
On the bright side, without a company name on the flyer, you don't have to worry too much about getting a bad name for yourself with those flyers.

UGA
06-25-2003, 12:07 PM
I stated friend threw it together (I had no say in the content, but chose to use it) and doesn't realy want to edit it. I needed something fast he gave it to me, so I used it.

Ok, You need to ask yourself what kind of businessman am I that has no say in the content of THE main advertising for your business? I have been constantly redoing mine and still don't think it's finished. It's YOUR business so if a friend (although w/ good intentions) wants to really help you this person would be willing to make any changes you need. My suggestion would be to do a search on flyers here and figure out what you really want it to say before giving it to someone to make up. I do really like the eye catching graphics however!

lawndreamer
06-25-2003, 12:12 PM
I just mentioned to him that I was wanting to get a flyer printed, he is a (graphics designer). He chose without my knowledge to throw it together and sort of surprised me with it. I asked him about the content, and he said he couldn;t think of nothing else. I may ask him to edit it, or just Do one my self. Thanks for all the criticism I believe it is constructive.

UGA
06-25-2003, 02:47 PM
My bad, that makes a lot more sense. Sorry.

Green in Idaho
06-25-2003, 09:24 PM
Soooo LawnDreamer,,,,

Since those 5 didn't fly too well, what are 5 legitimate reasons why someone should hire you?

How about "I mow better than I spell"?
:D ;) :p

Before sending out printed material ALWAYS use a GOOD proofreader. Maybe someone who went to school in Indiana instead of Kentucky... :D
I have lots of K'tucky jokes.

lawndreamer
06-26-2003, 01:25 AM
You see those Indiana folks just stare over the river like the hebrews, just wishing they could get into the promise land!

I created a new flyer but I can't upload it cause it is a .pub file anyone know a way around that? So that I can post my new one?

Green in Idaho
06-26-2003, 02:31 AM
??? I'm not so sure about the World history books y'all use there, but modern history books now go beyond Exodus... ;)

And the KY ed system is evidenced by creating an ad in MSPublisher (I am guilty of that too though). But then I take it to the printer and they convert it to their format anyway.

Print it and scan it.
Convert to pdf

If no luck-- you can e-mail it to me, I can convert into a pdf and e-mail back to you. And I would promise not to edit/change it first. :p

Rustic Goat
06-26-2003, 03:44 AM
When you have a .pub document open, click 'file' then 'save as', then save it as a .jpeg or .bmp, that document can then be used elsewhere.
Depending on size of document and/or graphic ability of computer system, it may come out a little fuzzy on the screen.