PDA

View Full Version : Lefty or Righty? How do you WeedWack?

statman
06-24-2003, 11:58 PM
Which hand do you have on the bottom when you weedwack, the left or the right?

mower_babe
06-25-2003, 12:07 AM
the right, but angled

2 man crew
06-25-2003, 12:25 AM
lmao you two are sickos.

No really left hand down. But I think right hand down might be better. Less grass on your pants.

Envy Lawn Service
06-25-2003, 12:43 AM
I STIHL hate couterclockwise rotating trimmer heads in the worst way.

Good for lefties, all wrong for righties. I must confess that I have had the thought of converting the FS 85 to a stick edger by adding the gearhead attachment for $150, then picking up another homeowner type straight shaft trimmer w/ clockwise rotation.

Someone should address this with a commercial grade answer.

RandyRhoads
06-25-2003, 12:54 AM
luckily I am a lefty and it is nice for me putting my left hand down. They are manufactured to be used that way. Though you'd think that they would make them more user-friendly for the righties?? Because it seems like there are more righties in the world than lefties. Hey one quick question that i've wanted to know ever since i first saw a lawn mower. Is it possible for a lawn mower, weed wacker, any type for that matter, to rotate the opposite way that they usually rotate?

mower_babe
06-25-2003, 01:04 AM
I am tired of walking backwards to get a good edge - look like an idot walking into parked cars!!:blush:

(what about that wheel contraption?!)

RandyRhoads
06-25-2003, 01:09 AM
has anybody actyually tried those blade edgers?
They're incredibly stupid if you ask me. I can never get a straight edge!!!!

Rustic Goat
06-25-2003, 03:56 AM
has anybody actyually tried those blade edgers?

Are you saying you use a trimmer to edge?

You referring to a 'stick edger"?
If so, what's so hard about using it?
Heck of a lot quicker and more defined than using a trimmer to edge.

Right handed, left hand down. Commercial trimmers are such an awkward pain with CCW rotation. What about that some of you tech guys, what's behind that?

You cannot run an engine backwards for very long at all.

Richard Martin
06-25-2003, 04:24 AM
I am right handed but I operate the throttle with my left hand. I also move from right to left as I trim. I have found that this prevents trimmings from getting all over the houses and landscaping.

RandyRhodes wrote:

Is it possible for a lawn mower, weed wacker, any type for that matter, to rotate the opposite way that they usually rotate?

Yes but it would take modifications. The 2 stroke engines would be easiest to modify. All you would need to do to them is rekey the flywheel so the spark timing occurs on the other side of the stroke.

A 4 stroke would need the rekeying, camshaft, fuel pump if equiped, oiling system, governor and charging system if equiped.

There are reverse rotation 4 strokes used in marine applications.

Mickhippy
06-25-2003, 10:31 AM
Whats so hard about line trimming?(brushcutting) Left hand down and go from right to left.

Gravely_Man
06-25-2003, 11:46 AM
I use a Stihl and have the left hand on the handle and the right hand on the trigger. I end up walking backwards and do bump into many things.

Gravely_Man

RandyRhoads
06-25-2003, 01:14 PM
well, it seems like the blade hits the darn driveway so much on the "stick" edgers that its maddening. Maybe its just me but also the little guide thing always gets stuck too so i have to push it and then i cut a little too far and there is a part in the yard that is cut away just a couple of centimeters but it looks really bad. Luckily i am only using it on my yard until i get good at it otherwise i just use the string

tiedeman
06-25-2003, 06:39 PM
left hand down

T.E.
06-25-2003, 06:43 PM
left hand down and, walk from left to right :)

dfor
06-25-2003, 07:15 PM
Left hand down. Sometimes I walk left to right and vice versa. Depends on the property.

Arnold
06-25-2003, 07:56 PM
Left hand down!

LAWNGODFATHER
06-25-2003, 10:01 PM
Ambidextrous.

PaulJ
06-25-2003, 10:49 PM
Right hand controls where the trimming head is and left hand on the throttle. Think about how you hold a baseball bat or golf club-- Your strong hand is closest to the working end, right? use a trimmer the same way. With straight shaft trimmers this also lets you throw the clippings away from the beds and buildings while walking forward.

Read "following the edge" at www.edgit.com

fblandscape
06-25-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
Ambidextrous.

Ditto. :o

Envy Lawn Service
06-25-2003, 11:34 PM
I guess I really need to "work on" using the trimmer left handed. Maybe I can get used to it and get back into the groove of things. I'm sick of feeling awkward and sliging **** all over me all the time.

As for edging with the trimmer....since getting the Stihl I have started to edge with it similar to the way Edgit says to do it. I hold the trimmer the same way except I hold the throttle with my right hand and operate the throttle with my thumb.

I just started edging that way because it seemed easier to hold the trimmer still across the body and using it right handed throws the debris away in front of me. I will try it the other way tomorow to see if it works better.

All lefty for a day................:(

Live4Mowin'
06-25-2003, 11:35 PM
Im right handed and I mow with the left hand low. I trim from right to left because I think that the counterclockwise rotation of the trimmer head stands the grass up while its trimming it if you move right to left.;)

mtdman
06-25-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by T.E.
left hand down and, walk from left to right :)

Ditto that. And I've noticed I use the left side of the wacker head to cut with more than the right.

:D

edgit
06-26-2003, 02:09 AM
Look, its not like trying to throw a ball left handed. All you're doing is working the throttle with your left hand. Try and ignore that it feels awkward at first. You can retrain yourself to trim left handed in a day easy. I did it the wrong way (right handed) for 10 years, 'till I hired a guy that was left handed. Before I could get to him to screw him up he started trimming left handed - along a wall from right to left. I stood there dumb-founded, smacked my head with my hand and said to myself, "you've been doing it wrong for 10 years you dummy". I retrained myself that day. From that day forward no one who worked for me was even allowed to touch a trimmer right handed.
Most important, holding the trimmer left handed, when you trim you walk straight ahead, with your arms straight down in front of you. No more walking backwards or sideways when you trim. The engine is on your left side, trimmer head on your right, and you just walk along the wall.
Our trimmer operators would trim and edge sometimes for 8 to 10 hours a day. After many years we learned to do the edging and the trimming along walls left handed. This was "Following the Edge". But every time you walked by something out in the lawn that needed to be trimmed, we would switch the trimmer to the right hand and trim it right handed. This allows the operator to rest those muscle groups from carrying the trimmer left handed. Then switch back to left hand hold when returning to "Following the Edge".
As to why commercial trimmers all spin counter clockwise. There are two main reasons. First, when George Ballas started Weed Eater his first trimmers were massive 40 lb curved shaft trimmers. This engine rotation, with no gearbox to reverse the rotation, was correct for right handed people.
Second, is shear industry momentum, and the fact that not a single President, VP, or even engineer of any trimmer manufacture has ever used one of there own trimmers for more than 5 minutes at a time, if that. If just one of them were forced to walk backwards or sideways for 8 hours, even if they weren't carrying a trimmer, they'd redesign there engines and gearboxes. Well maybe not, fat chance of that happening.

David Haggerty
06-26-2003, 05:44 AM
Left hand on the loop.
Throttle locked on with the "start" button
right hand under the throttle.

Trimmer is in front of me.
This lets me trim at a walking pace.
Up one side and back the other.
(I have to come back anyway.):D

Dave

Heron Cove PM
06-26-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by statman
Which hand do you have on the bottom when you weedwack, the left or the right?

I "DON'T WEEDWACK"...I am a professional, not a Harry hobbyist. I "STRING TRIM", and I am guilty of left hand down.

Runner
06-26-2003, 11:05 AM
Left hand down, and I am right handed. I always move around the property (islands of grass) counterclockwise so it is always right to left, and I go around objects clockwise, (again right to left) unless it's things like Spruce trees or beds that have mulch coming out of them that may have pine cones and/or debris that can fly out. Then, I go around those counterclockwise. The only thing in moving right to left (and someone posted that it "stands the grass up), is that what it does, is in fact lay the grass DOWN as it goes along, so you have to keep an eye on your trimming more closely as to not miss any. Also, in moving around the islands counterclockwise, and right to left, you are always pulling the grass out into the lawn after it's cut, - not accumulating it aroungd the edges of structures and such. Also, if you DO go clockwise (left to right), what do you do when you come to a driveway or sidewalk? Stop and walk down to the ends and come the other way? If I saw one of MY people going this way and pulling the grass out over the drive or walk, this would QUICKLY be corrected. I don't edge these properties just for some incompetent to come along and spoil the edge and/or stain the concrete with grass. It's all in the formula. There is a starting point, and a finishing point for every property. With experience, you get to the point that you can look at a prop., and plan this all out, inCLUDING break-off points to do other obstacles. ;)

Harry0
06-26-2003, 09:12 PM
Curve shafts all the way!!!!-I try straight shafts and I scalp-Cant teach this old dog new tricks-And they spin the right way!-Harry

Runner
06-26-2003, 09:21 PM
The only problem I have with curved shaft is that I keep wacking my toes all the time. I just don't have the reach or perspective for good trimmoing with a curved shaft.:)

dcondon
06-26-2003, 09:55 PM
Always the right !!!:) :)