PDA

View Full Version : Am I a Scrub??

Movinfr8
06-25-2003, 12:52 AM
Ok, I was talking to a potential client, well a future client, and pointed out a few of the GLARING things, like the discharged clippings in the street, on his drive, on his car, on his lawn, and the fact that no edgign had been performed in a few months, and he said, make me a price. I did- 35 bucks. he said how much with bagging and i didn't raise it. ( I KNOW I shoulda just on principle, but when I mulch for him, I think he will change his decision). turns out he's been paying the butcher 30 bucks per! I may get several other accounts from his refferals to neighbors, so that kinda offsets the cheep price, and he's only my third account, but I still feel I shoulda hit him for 40 for bagging. I think when he sees what I can do, he wouldn't mind an increase, but should I wait till next spring?
also, I am seriously considering stealing some of this moron's customers. does that make me a scrub? I wish I had pics of his "work", and am putting out more fliers in the area tomorrow, so I might take the camera...
Norm

mower_babe
06-25-2003, 01:39 AM
As far as the increase, I wish I would have had a gradual increase every year on every account. This was the first in 5 yrs that we initiated an increase and it was small, but, if we could have done it more gradually, customers might not have flinched. I would probably finish out the year at that price, unless you are getting absolultely robbed. And then next year raise it.

As far as you saying that you are thinking about stealing some of this idiots customers...I don't think that it is actually called stealing if they are an unsatisfied customer. It is called "giving better service." I think you are a SCRUB if you ask the homeowner what they are paying currently and go below that, just to steal business away from a competitor.

I tell potential customers that if they are looking for a cheap mow and blow - we are not for them. We will not underbid someone. I actually have given out reliable high school boys' names to mow-that will be cheaper of course, b/c I would not low bid-just to get the job.

Just my 2 cents.

ParksGuy
06-25-2003, 01:47 AM
Maybe....

DLCS
06-25-2003, 02:17 AM
You bid him at $35 and you are already thinking about increasing his price? I never ask or believe, the price that the customer is currently paying. If your definition of stealing is lowballing, then you could be a scrub.

Rustic Goat
06-25-2003, 03:38 AM
You're just having sellers remorse, advise against increasing his price any this season unless he hires you to do more work. You've already sealed the deal and could lose him if you attempt to increase. Let it be a price for a lesson learned, don't be so greedy to get a job that you give additional services away. You'll think of that every time you load a bag for him.

Like DLCS said, you shouldn't care about what someone has been paying, higher or lower. That attitude will get you in bidding wars and probably some hard feelings.

Getting a new client, that you will sell your professional quality services to, regardless of who was/wasn't doing the work before doesn't put scrub in your name.
But I wouldn't go out of my way to go after the butcher's clients as a carrot you see dangling there. You're feeling like a conquerer, you got one of his clients, you smell blood and want more! Sooner or later, somehow, you'll pay a price for that.
Just go after clients period.

Tvov
06-25-2003, 06:06 AM
You're charging him more than the previous guy. I always assumed that one of the main definitions of a scrub is "lowballing", which you are not doing.

hboyd_com
06-25-2003, 06:55 AM
The next time you talk to the homeowner I would politely mention that you usually raise your price for bagging because you have an additional cost to cover, however you kept your price the same because you wanted to show him how good his lawn can look with your professional service.

He may understand, in fact, he probably expected you to raise it for bagging. Then you could mention that you may have to raise the price next year but you won't know until you have some experience with his particular lawn.

This way he knows he is getting something for nothing and you have primed the pump for next year.

geogunn
06-25-2003, 07:57 AM
if you were happy with the $35...then stay happy. don't do the $5 add on thing!

a lot of times I let a customer add something (small) and I stay the same price. that is generally...if the customer is expecting or willing to pay more.

now if the customer is a tightwad and is trying to scre* me by adding work...then the price goes up proportionately.payup

GEO

lugnut#6
06-25-2003, 09:38 AM
so what is the definition of a scrub?