PDA

View Full Version : fixing bumpy lawns....

dave80
06-25-2003, 12:57 AM
One of the properties that I mow (about 1.5 acres) is very rough. The other day after I had finished it, I felt like I had just ridden a bike over a few mile long stretch of rumble strips on the side of the road. My hands and legs were killing me. I am using a 48" WB w/sulky and I was mowing in 5th gear @ 6mph. Its not as bad if I slow it down, but then it takes too long and I lose money. The front part of the lawn is not too bad, but the back is terrible.

I would like to offer the homeowner a solution to smooth out their property, but I need some suggestions on the most efficient way. Here is the situation:

The house is a modular home, and was put up about 5 yrs ago in an old field that was divided into 6 lots. Nothing has ever been done as far as aeration, etc. He sprays for weeds, and thats it. (Next year when I get my applicator's license I will put the lawn on a fert program). The front of the lawn is not too bad, but the back is where it really kills me, and to top it off, its on a hill. The back also has very little grass and I would say is more weeds than anything. Since the lawn will need planted or overseeded in the back, would it be best to just bring some topsoil in and smooth it out, then plant the grass, or could I roll it just to get the bumps out then aerate a few times and overseed? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Until this year I have just done mowing, so I have no idea what the best route would be.

Mike Bradbury
06-25-2003, 01:19 AM
Can't cure bumpies with a roller. Best bet would be a grader box behind a tractor or bobcat to strip and flatten it. Prep with a pulverizer or power rake (dethatcher) and seed.