PDA

View Full Version : Scag or Exmark

bobac
06-25-2003, 03:48 PM
What would you guys recommend for a cheaper Hydro walkbehind. I am doing this on the side so it will only be used about 10 hours a week. I like the Scag and the Exmark W/b's. What would you guys recommend

LAWNGODFATHER
06-25-2003, 05:49 PM
Regaurdless of the few dollars in the diff of price, the Exmarks will out perform teh Scags.

And you small amount of time used Examrk will let you get maximum productivity in that time.

Pape's Landscape Maintenance
06-25-2003, 06:54 PM
We own both scag and exmark and are very satisfied with both, the exmark is my personal favorite in the w/b's because of the ecs controls.

Steve :cool:

rob1325
06-25-2003, 08:47 PM
The Scags are great machines. Demo both and decide and most importantly find a good dealer.

lawnkid
06-25-2003, 10:58 PM
I have 2 52" Scag hydro walkbehinds and they have both been great to me. The first one I got in 2001 has a 14 hp Kawasaki, not bad but a little uunderpowered. Then I just got another 52" 1999 hydor and I love the thing. It has a 17 hp Kawasaki and it handles 8" grass with ease. I have never tired Exmark walkbehinds but I would Demo then bothh and go for the one you like best. Good luck

John Gamba
06-29-2003, 05:59 PM
Yeah! What Mike said!

65hoss
06-29-2003, 07:17 PM
eXmark---hands down.

Mark P
06-29-2003, 07:26 PM
I think scag is the best walkbehind out there but there Rider ZTRs just can't do the job as well as the Exmarks, Toros, or Hustler's.....Marks Mowing Service

fatboy5803
06-29-2003, 09:45 PM
I have a 36"w/b hydro scag, w/a two wheeled sulky, very pleased with it. Never tried a Exmark, But have seen lawns after and they do a good job also. Like they said earlier, Demo them both and make sure you have good dealer support..

Lou :cool:

MTR
06-30-2003, 01:59 AM
If blades are equally sharp on both mowers, if you are so fastidious on cut and beauty, please look at eXmark, cause nobody does it better, eXmark will eat Scag alive...

If you want "Abram Tank" and don't care about comfort or beauty, all you want is durability to do volume for years to come, make no mistake Scag's all pistol WB is the choice. I have seen Scag WB over 12 years still kicking butt with original parts!

FrankenScagMachines
06-30-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by MTR
If you want "Abram Tank" and don't care about comfort or beauty, all you want is durability to do volume for years to come, make no mistake Scag's all pistol WB is the choice. I have seen Scag WB over 12 years still kicking butt with original parts!
I've used an eXmark TTHP and it was a nice machine. I have a Scag 52" hydro w/b and it is very tough! I use it for everything that I used to use the garden tractors for! It does pulling, pushing, mowing, bush-hogging (not great at bushhogging but it's close at hand LOL). I can't tear it up... it's way past due for oil change BTW. The Kawi is still tickin' strong. I aquired a lawn tractor with an 18hp B&S twin cylinder that runs good I thought about putting on the Scag for more power and electric start, but I don't like that it doesn't have pressure lube :( The Scag has a beautiful cut when adjusted properly with sharp blades :)

LAWNGODFATHER
06-30-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by FrankenScagMachines
it's way past due for oil change BTW. The Kawi is still tickin' strong.Not what you said a few weeks ago when it was underpowered, but that's a whole nother subject. Going past time for an oil change isn't going to kill the engine.

Hydro's are deffanitly stronger than belt drives.

Enough rambeling...........I still would take Exmark, I have and seen other ones in the field with 3-4000 hours on them, and I bet that's more hours than some of you will put on your mowers in 10 years. BTW that's Kohler powered.

CO.d 502nd
06-30-2003, 06:30 PM
I aint never owned a exmark walkbehind ,but i have scag not only are they a tank they cut first class lay a great cut and stripe first class.