PDA

View Full Version : What would you have done?

NCSULandscaper
06-25-2003, 06:24 PM
I was in business for about 2 weeks and had a very large commercial account offered to me out of town and took an hour to drive each way. So i went and took a look at it and gave them a price of around $25,000 to $30,000 for maintenance and grass cutting. They told me whatever the price they wanted it done right. Well the more and more i looked at the more and more i got nervous about it. For a person just being in business a few weeks i didnt think i was able to handle something of this size and give them the best job i could so i called back a few days later and declined the account. Now the more i think about it the more i would like to try to get this account since i have some experieince but am worried they wouldnt trust me now since i turned it down over a year ago. Would you have done anything different if you were just starting out again or did i make the right choice?

RandyRhoads
06-25-2003, 07:12 PM
well being someone who is relatively just starting out in real business having a customer who is not a family friend, i would have taken it. I think that it would give me more experience for doing that stuff. You know how what people say, the best learning comes from field experience. I would have taken it, and asked them how they wanted it done. Thats the way I do things anyways.

BobR
06-25-2003, 07:16 PM
No doubt about it you did the 'right thing', being new to the business and undoubtedly not properly geared up I think you would probably have shot yourself in the foot. Now with some time under your belt and a better feeling in the seat of your pants you should contact the person in charge and present your case. If the same person interviews you be a stand up guy and explain why you backed out of the first negotiation.
Good Luck
BobR

tiedeman
06-25-2003, 07:29 PM
I feel that you did the correct thing...nothing like hanging yourself on one account

rodfather
06-25-2003, 07:31 PM
You probably did the right thing by listening to your conscious and relying on your initial, gut feeling. You're brand spanking new to the business...there will be others like this that come you way. And you'll appreciate having the experience and business sense to take on one of these accounts then too.

Good luck in the meantime...

Rustic Goat
06-26-2003, 01:20 AM
Probably did the right thing.
If you had a lack of confidence about accomplishing the task, you were most likely correct.

Quit second & third guessing about it and get on with your life.
Hopefully a lesson was learned, looking at properties to bid on, look at them with realistic eyes from your view, not a view filled with dollar signs.

You study long, you study wrong.

Envy Lawn Service
06-26-2003, 01:33 AM
Come on now! You have already come to terms with the worst that could happen. So they say no...big deal. If you don't go after it you'll always wonder..........

mdvaden
06-26-2003, 02:54 AM
It may be worth calculating in detail even if you will not do it.

Also, I'd write a letter stating that I would like the work, but am not prepared at the moment, and would like a call back if the next company does not work out for any reason.

I declined on one I was unsure of, and listed why - they wanted mowing with reels, and we did not have reel and bedknife mowers.

But if they change their specs, they could call us again.

Its an idea anyway.

Gravely_Man
06-26-2003, 11:27 AM
You sometimes have to go with what you gut tells you. You turned it down a year ago contact them now and ask to bid. Best of luck to you.

Gravely_Man

Runner
06-26-2003, 11:43 AM
Not much sense in it now, unless you're considering it for next year. Unless things are REALLY messing up, then it's just way too late in the season, and the current contractor is already "settled in". You can always try, though. One thing I would strongly advise though; Take a GOOD long look at this, and DO THE NUMBERS CAREFULLY! 25g may sound like a whole lot of money, but you'rev not making that. When you start REALLY factoring in the costs - Labor, fuel, parts, usage, and all the drive time involved, you are in for something different. Also, remember, that if you are driving this distance to do this job, and you get rained out, guess what? You get to drive right back to it to finish it up, too. NOW how much have you made? All I am saying is, - consider all these thing before you are blinded by that pot of gold that costs you so much to get to. I hope this helps, and good luck.