PDA

View Full Version : Help ASAP

Matt'slawncare
06-25-2003, 08:25 PM
I just bought a new trailer with brakes. I got an addapter so the trailer would plug in to the truck. But the brakes dont work and all my lights are going crazy. I talked to this trailer guy and he said that they make two different adapters for it. The adapter goes from a 7 to a 6. Also when i put the fuse in the the brakes the brakes stay locked up. Has anyone else had this problem? My truck is a 2000 Chevy.

longviewlawncare
06-25-2003, 08:27 PM
there are 2 different 6 pin connectors. I can;t tell you which one is which though. Go to your local trailer dealer and tell them you need a 6 pin and that it has to be the right one.

Matt'slawncare
06-25-2003, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the help!! So how do you know when you buy on that you know its the right one? But the if i go to a dealer he should no which one.

Turf Technologies
06-25-2003, 09:27 PM
Id just take it to Taylor rental. I had the same problem they fixed it right up. Bought a new trailer, dealer only hooked one weheel up with a brake, forgot to connect the other side. Also didnt have the connecter correct.

Matt'slawncare
06-25-2003, 09:50 PM
I have another problem that i forgot to list. I had the hazards on my truck and trailer when i was pulled over mowing a yard and when i came back they were shut off and now they don't work and either do my blinker's. I checked all the fuses and they are fine so what could this be?

blafleur
06-26-2003, 10:00 AM
Matt, sounds like you might have a short somewhere. The worst kind of short is when the fuse doesnt blow, creates all kind of proglems and is hard as hell to track. Did you chech the fuses under the good too?

Bryan

bushwoods1
06-26-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Matt'slawncare
I have another problem that i forgot to list. I had the hazards on my truck and trailer when i was pulled over mowing a yard and when i came back they were shut off and now they don't work and either do my blinker's. I checked all the fuses and they are fine so what could this be?

Matt what kind of truck is it?
I had the same problem with my f 350 when I got my trailer. Besides the fuse panel under the dash, there is also a fuse box under the hood. In my case the fuse in the box under the hood was the one that went bad and caused my lights to go. They make a heavier fuse to go into the panel under the hood that is made for trailers. Hope that helps.

glenjr10
06-26-2003, 10:02 PM
when i bought my trailer, i pulled out of the place where i bought it, the brakes worked fine. I pulled into my full time job, with them working fine. As i left that afternoon, the brakes had locked up completely. i got out of my truck while leaving it in drive (you should not do it) and the trailer held the truck in place. wend back to the brake adapter installer, and he installed them incorrectly. that is the only thing i can say.

Heron Cove PM
06-26-2003, 11:11 PM
As stated before, if you own a Ford, check the fuse box under the hood. If you open the hood, it should be right near the driver's side hood, raising spring or piston, right around the fire wall and where the left front fender meet. Also, yes there are two adapters. The difference between the two is where the trailer brake feed pole is located. Some trailers it's a center pole and other trailers it's an outer ring pole. Any reputable trailer supplier should be able to help you. The problem is there is no standard trailer wiring between any of the trailer manufactures; they all wire them differently.

Trust us on this one. I have had the exact same problems happen. Let me know how you make out.

Marshall

Lawn Tek
06-26-2003, 11:40 PM
The reason your brakes locked up are, your running a straight 12 volts to them . A test light will reveal a weak light when the brakes are applied , this would reveal the trailer brakes pin . It can all be figured out with a test light , or take ot to someone , also Napa has a balkamp adapter book with 100 different ones in it ,

mh1314
07-10-2003, 10:29 PM
Alot of the 7 pole plugs have one post that runs 12 volts to the rear for charging an on-board battery in the RV. If the converter carries over the voltage to the wrong wire on the trailer, it ain't going anywhere. To keep both your trailer and truck wired stock, just make a shorty male/female patch cord which reconfigures the wired to the right place on the trailer.

:blob2: