PDA

View Full Version : check your hitch!

kickin sum grass
06-25-2003, 10:06 PM
just thought it might happen to somebody besides me. You may want to inspect your hitch for wear. This hitch was about 10 years old, inside of hitch was greased about 3 times a year, but was seldom unhooked from truck. We just happened to need to switch trucks and look what we found. You can see the ball right thru the metal of the hitch.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-25-2003, 10:07 PM
Yup, I've run em worse than that till they could get replaced.

I wish I has enough time to swtich to a heavier coupler.

MWM
06-26-2003, 12:07 AM
After having numerous trailers pop up off the ball and cause damage to tail gates and the back of trucks we switched to pintle hook type hitches. It takes a little getting used to feeling it move from inside the truck but it is much safer.

little green guy
06-26-2003, 12:10 AM
I've had a hitch like that and run em like that too.

I hate balls, they are just a pain because of different size balls, and they are hard to inspect.

I prefer pintal hitches, they are heavier duty, one size fits all and you can check they out just by glancing at them.

fblandscape
06-26-2003, 12:10 AM
I can't stand ball couplers for that reason and a few others. That is why I prefer all pintle rings / hooks.

rvsuper
06-26-2003, 12:13 AM
What are these pintle hitches you guys are talking about?? I've never heard of them???

DLCS
06-26-2003, 12:18 AM
I've never seen pintle hitches on utility trailers just on heavy equipment trailers. Does anyone run pintle hitches on their utility trailers?

greenman
06-26-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by rvsuperintendant
What are these pintle hitches you guys are talking about?? I've never heard of them???

http://www.trailer-parts-forless.com/trailerparts_forless/Ball_Hitches_and_Pintle_Hooks.htm
Some pics on there.

mtdman
06-26-2003, 01:15 AM
About 4 years ago I kept feeling this rocking whenever I stopped or started. It went on for a few days and finally my partner and I got down and checked it out. Turned out the ball was working itself loose and was down to the last turn of the screw before it popped off totally. Freaked me out. Now I check it all the time.

:dizzy:

Phishook
06-26-2003, 02:44 AM
If you want a heavier hitch, BullDog makes cast iron 2" ball couplers. They use these on all the live stock trailer I've seen.

sdwally
06-26-2003, 10:18 AM
We use a few 2" ball couplings for basically on our tow behind sweepers, never had much problems with them. However most of our trailers are either a 2 5/16 ball or a pintle hitch. Napa offers combination ball/pintle hitches for the truck side. This allows us to tow almost all of our trailers with any truck we need to. With receiver adapter plate you can also adjust the towing height for the hitch.

Gravely_Man
06-26-2003, 11:08 AM
That is a very good thing that you caught that early enough for prevent any problems! You can never check items over too often.

Gravely_Man

Turtle II
06-26-2003, 12:31 PM
USAF vehicles use pintle hooks on all trucks and a solid steel ring on the trailer / equipnment they are towing.

These are used at slow speeds on the flight line and around base.

Does a pintle hook work at higher speeds?

They seem stronger and are definitely easier to connect, but I always assumed the civilian world used the ball because a pintle hook would not be safe at a higher rate of speed.

Can a pintle hook user explain this???

Do you change out the hook every so often???

Apperciate it......

Hope everyone is doing well,,,
Turtle II:cool:

lawndreamer
06-26-2003, 01:03 PM
I work for Townsend Tree (competitor to asplundh) you'll notice most all big tree outfits use pintle hooks. They are used for numerous reasons. #1 the compatibility for one truck to pull any trailer. They use them on utility trailers, wood chippers, every trailer u can think of. Another reason they choose this is they are built strong. The only thing I recommend is to remove the pin that holds the reciever hitch in your truck and switch it out quite often. I've seen these pins wear to the point you can't even remove them unless you cut them out. Also over the course of years the eye ring on the trailers tend to wear a groove in them. My company actually seen them as thin as 1/4" thick before someone noticed it. be prepared for the beating and banging that comes along with the pintle hitch. Every time you stop and every time you take off.

tsh1773
06-26-2003, 02:31 PM
My first post!

I looked at the website provided by Greenman. How do these pintle hooks work? This may seem like a dumb question, but the does the trailer just hook over the bottom hook instead of a ball? And I assume the top part helps hold it on. Also will this work for 1 7/8" and 2" connectors? The 5-Ton Receiver Mount Pintle Hook is the one I would need right?

Thanks,

Arc Burn
06-26-2003, 03:05 PM
I replace couplers every year for a local landscape outfit because the clowns driving the trucks will jackknife the trailers so many times the couplers get twisted,they're never on long enough to wear!

I have never been a fan of pintle hooks,every thing just feels loose behind you,it's probably all in the head,they are stronger though without a doubt,when was the last time you saw a tri-axle hauling a tag-along and dozer with a 2 5/16 ball:eek: ,lookout,here come the stories:D

lawndreamer
06-26-2003, 03:43 PM
I fix them also. Guys Jack knife and not only the tongue but also the chipper chute, where the chips come out of. When they hit it they mangle it. I at my shop replace atleast 5 a year at 900.00 bucks, and beat and try and fix 10 to save the money. These guys will back up with someone behind them watching and still Jack knife.

tiedeman
06-26-2003, 04:26 PM
we haven't had that major of a problem yet. We did though send a crew out once and they had a smaller sized ball on the truck...as soon as we found out we called them back to the shop immediately

wacamaster
06-26-2003, 05:46 PM
The hooks cause the truck to rock a bunch.

hunter
06-26-2003, 08:01 PM
just picked up my new tariler and I ordered with pintle hook. You do have an extra 1/2" of play from where the lunette ring hooks around the pintle hook.

but most construction and all the miliatry vechiles have pintle. they allow for severe terrain. No worry about the steep inclines these will not popoff. But my biggest reason to use it from now on is to deter my tariler from being stolen. Not every thief will have a pintle hook in his truck.

Go with pintle and you won't ever use a ball coupler again.

Heron Cove PM
06-26-2003, 11:01 PM
Personally I "CANT STAND" a Pintle hook; Way to much slop in them. We use them for the skid loaders and tractors. They do have their merits; higher weights, ect...

If you go with one get a true Pintle. DON'T go with a ball Pintle combo; they have "WAY TO MUCH" slop in them! Combos also get more chatter in them when the tow vehicle turns. This chatter occurs when the ring on the trailer moves around the collar on the ball. Don't think for a minute that they don't wear out. We have replaced 2 trailer rings recently. The best type of Pintle "HOOK" to purchase is the spring loaded type. You generally see these permanently mounted on the tow vehicle. The spring acts as a shock absorber and lessens the harshness of the forward to rearward travel.

Here's a pic or two of a ball Pintle hook combo:

Heron Cove PM
06-26-2003, 11:02 PM
Open

the scaper
06-27-2003, 12:47 AM
thats pretty awsum, i've never seen a ball go through a hitch like that, somebody's been doing some scaping. my trailers are relativly new but just to be on the safe side i went out to the garage and checked my balls for wear . i dont see any excessive wear and i never really thought about it but i guess from now on when i lub the mowers i'm gonnna grease my balls too. thanks for bringing this to my attention. those pintle hooks look pretty interesting too, i'm just not sure though if they would be neccessary for my rig. :cool:

fblandscape
06-27-2003, 01:19 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=4233

An informative thread I found from doing a search regarding greasing trailer balls.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-27-2003, 03:35 AM
I got a combo just like that, the plate you bolt it onto, bent.

I am pissed, $40 for a new one.

My leaf vacs all have pinle hooks, so does my HD skid steer trailer.

Turtle II
06-27-2003, 04:11 AM
LGF

You have a life time of experience,

Why dont all trailers use the pintel hook system???

If all heavy duty systems and the military use the pintel hook for everything and it is stronger and easier to hook up, plus it seems to be a safer system,

Why all the ball and hitches on most medium duty trucks/trailers???

Just trying to figure out the best and safest way.

THANKS
TURTLE II:cool:

LAWNGODFATHER
06-27-2003, 04:18 AM
Pintal hooks are used for heavier weights.

Dump trucks use them for their piggy back trailers.

UPS uses them on their piggy back trailers.

a 2 5/16th ball can't do 16,000#, well it can I just don't want to be the one bumper pulling it.

5th wheels and goose necks are a differnt story.

It's all about what the trailer is rated for.

I am not fond of them, they are noisy as all heck.

BIGWIV
06-27-2003, 11:13 AM
I just got the hitch on my 20' Haulmark trailer replaced with a pintle ring for $210.00. This way if my pick-up truck goes down for repairs; we can still pull our trailer behind our dump truck. Saving on the need to rent a truck.:blob3:

greenman
06-28-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Turtle II
USAF vehicles use pintle hooks on all trucks and a solid steel ring on the trailer / equipnment they are towing.

These are used at slow speeds on the flight line and around base.

Does a pintle hook work at higher speeds?

They seem stronger and are definitely easier to connect, but I always assumed the civilian world used the ball because a pintle hook would not be safe at a higher rate of speed.

Turtle II:cool:

I used to drive for Con-Way Transportation (CSE down here, CCX up north). I pulled pup trailers and double pup trailers. All trailers had a pintle hook on them to connect to the fifth wheel dolly (which connects both trailers together). So.....they are much safer and yes, are designed and safe at high speed than the ball.

hunter
07-07-2003, 02:25 AM
just thought I'd add a pic of my pintle hookup with trailer.