PDA

View Full Version : 2 cycle oil

j_loppy
06-25-2003, 11:29 PM
Thinking of ordering a case of 2 cycle oil. It is Quaker State smokeless oil. Any of ya'll used this? It's from Landscapers Supply. A case is $25.99 for 12, 16 oz. bottles. Is this a good deal or should I just get some from my local oil company... i.e. What the heck do most of you do?

o-so-n-so
06-25-2003, 11:40 PM
I heard that the synthetic 2 cycle oil is good. Personally I will use any of the premium name brand oil. I most often buy Husqvarna or Stihl buy the 6 pack that mixes with 2.5 gal for $6.00.

I use alot of mix gas and never had a problem with lubrication.

Keith
06-26-2003, 12:30 AM
I use Amsoil and have for almost 10 years. A quart goes for about $8 and mixes with 20-25 gallons of gasoline. You can become a Preferred Amsoil Customer, or dealer and buy a case of quarts and drop the price to about 6 bucks a quart, but you may have to pay shipping. They also sell it in 8 ounce bottles for about $3 (or $2.20 if you are preferred customer) if you don't like the quarts. Of course you could just buy one of the little bottles, then refill it from quart bottles and save money :D

imograss
06-26-2003, 12:41 AM
i use opti 2.

65hoss
06-26-2003, 01:50 AM
I run Opti-2 as well. I checked all my exhaust ports over the winter and none needed cleaning.

mdvaden
06-26-2003, 03:02 AM
I know some tree guys buy it by the 5 gallon drum - much cheaper.

I get quarts. Then I buy about 5 of the 8 oz. ers. I keep the 8 oz. size in the truck to fill my 2 gallon can, then refill the little guys.

I could go with quarts, but the clear part is hard to read, and I hate measuring cups.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon - www.mdvaden.com

Keith
06-26-2003, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by mdvaden

I get quarts. Then I buy about 5 of the 8 oz. ers. I keep the 8 oz. size in the truck to fill my 2 gallon can, then refill the little guys.

I could go with quarts, but the clear part is hard to read, and I hate measuring cups.

A while back Amsoil went with a grey bottle. I emailed them and complained, as I am sure others did about it being to hard to measure. They have now gone back with the clear bottle.

Richard Martin
06-26-2003, 04:27 AM
Amsoil. No problems, no worries.

David Haggerty
06-26-2003, 05:47 AM
I couldn't imagine running my Stihl equipment without synthetic 2-cycle. Easier starting, less smoke.

Dave

excel25
06-26-2003, 06:29 AM
I use opti 2. and amsoil

Gravely_Man
06-26-2003, 11:13 AM
Just make sure you mix it properly and use a name brand oil and you should be fine.

Gravely_Man

tiedeman
06-26-2003, 04:35 PM
we just buy a case all of the time. Easy to use and easy to mix. We also carry around a measuring cup with us to make sure the measuring is done correctly

j_loppy
06-26-2003, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the input, guys. I have a friend that deals with amsoil, so that's what I'm going to go with. BTW, if any of ya'll are near a small airport, spend a few extra $ and run some 100LL AVGas in your equipment before storing it and also for winter use. It creates a slower burn in the cylinder, making for very easy cold weather starts. I've been using the stuff for years. It burns very clean and reduces fumes tremendously. I've been working in aviation for 10 years and every winter the loggers come in to get it for their saws.

Oh, just tell the FBO (the people that sell the fuel) its for an ultralight if they give you any grief about selling it to you in a can. It is perfectly legal.

awm
06-26-2003, 06:16 PM
thanks im gonna try some. nothin, to good for my buddies.

GraZZmaZter
06-26-2003, 06:21 PM
Stihl oil all the way .... unless in a pinch.

I usually buy the ready mix 5 gallon jugs. Well this spring i bought the 2.5 mixers and didnt realize it! We only had 2 left out of a 6 pack before i figured it out.

Luckily nothing fried. My guys ragged on me for a few days after that one..... "run er' a little lean!!" lol

AztlanLC
06-26-2003, 08:31 PM
I've tried almost any brand, I even use to carry two separate mixes one for my 50:1 and 1 for 30:1, after I found this site and heard from amsoil I decided to give it a try, the results were amazing I'll never switch back to stihl or redmax brand or any other I'm too happy with amsoil.

kppurn
06-26-2003, 08:44 PM
I've always used Opti 2 until my dealer went out of business. The dealer I use now has Stihl and I just started using that this week.
After e-mailing Interlube International, I have now found someone that carries Opti 2 close by, so I may switch back.

grassdaddy
06-26-2003, 10:18 PM
I won 48 little bottles of 1gal mix of shindaiwa oil at GIE.Works good in my echos and stihl. :)

blairbuc
06-26-2003, 11:03 PM
Amsoil.... period

But you have one problem with any synthetic. It will stratify whem sitting still from the gas, so shake it before you pour it.

Also, all 2 stroke oils eat octain. In the UltraLite world they don't want you to mix until right before you fly, per Rotax (eng. mfg.) instructions. If you like to store it on your truck for a fairly long term, then pre mix with Hi Test Fuel, every day the RON and Octain number will drop. Leave a pre mix around for a month or two, forget having any good octain number.

bluemoon7
06-26-2003, 11:40 PM
Amsoil 100:1 Synthetic.... used it for 10 years would never switch

ProMo
06-27-2003, 10:10 AM
ace hardware oil works for me since I started using it several years ago i have never had an engine failure or clogged exhaust I switched when a pair of echo hedge trimmers fried using echo oil

Premo Services
06-27-2003, 09:00 PM
:D It is 2 years that I switched to Amsoil, The Best Change That I have ever done.... all equiptment is running at its peak preformance, spark plugs never foul, and spark arrestor screens stay clean.:D :D ;) :cool:

David Haggerty
06-27-2003, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the info.
I'd never heard that.

Dave

CMLLawnServices
06-27-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by o-so-n-so
I heard that the synthetic 2 cycle oil is good. Personally I will use any of the premium name brand oil. I most often buy Husqvarna or Stihl buy the 6 pack that mixes with 2.5 gal for $6.00.

I use alot of mix gas and never had a problem with lubrication.

I do the same thing i buy it from my stihl dealer and each 6 pack costs $6.99 or something like that, i`ve only got 2 bottles left from the six pack ive got now and i think i`m gonna buy a 24 . :p
they are the best because you can dump them in and put 5 litres of gas in and i know that the mix is 50:1 for shure.

blairbuc
06-27-2003, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Haggerty
[B]Thanks for the info.
I'd never heard that.

Dave, I use to be a mechanic and I never heard of it either until I started messing with 2 stroke UltraLite engines.

Now those engines need the octain and if your flying, letting a premix sit for a week is dumb.... For my weed wacker I let it sit for a month, and the permix eats octain soon after it meets gas but in my weed wacker I don't care, but two week old pre mix has less octain than fresh and will affect when that combustion happens. Don't want it too late, don't want it too soon.

danzig
06-28-2003, 01:42 AM
Try a bottle of oregon(formerly silver streak) 2 cycle oil. No smoke little ash. Been using it for 3 years now and i like it better than any other 2 stroke oil out there. My echo trimmers and stihl chain saws run very well with this oil better than with factory name brand oil!!