PDA

View Full Version : plant suggestions

cutntrim
09-26-2000, 08:06 PM
We've been asked to redo the front entrance garden bed of a condominium we maintain. The builder had installed a few scraggly junipers that didn't take to well and looked pretty ugly. It's a northern exposure and the soil is clay. We're in zone 5. This is only an area about 10'x10' so it's very minor (to say the least). But it's the first impression visitors to the building will have so they'd like it to look nice. Your suggestions are appreciated.

FIREMAN
09-26-2000, 10:48 PM
SINCE THE AREA IS SO SMALL....TRY TO USE ONE SPECIMEN PLANT MAYBE SOME KIND OF WEEPING EVERGREEN OR MY PERSONAL FAVORITE...A BLUE ATLAS CEDAR...MAYBE SOME STONE , MOSS ROCK IS NICE AND SOME CEDAR MULCH..ALSO LEAVE SPACE FOR SEASONAL PLANTS SO YOU CAN CHARGE THEM TO CHANGE THEM ACCORDING TO THE SEASON.

Scraper
09-27-2000, 11:45 AM
No offense to Fireman, but I'd stay away from the Blue Atlas for that area. 10' x 10' is way to small for a "specimen" like that. Might look nice the first year or so, but once it starts growing watch out! They'll get up to 40' or so with just as much spread. Here is a link with info on them: http://www.uah.edu/admin/Fac/grounds/BLUEATLS.HTM

For a size like that maybe a boulder and a japanese maple? Mound it with the maple on the mound with the boulder below the maple such that as the maple grows it appears to be cascading over the boulder. have used this design in many plantings much to the clients liking. The only downside is not evergreen, but japanese maples are interesting without leaves as well!

Lanelle
09-27-2000, 05:59 PM
Another 'specimen' planting that might work for you would be some type of dwarf conifer. Many to choose from, including some weeping forms, grafted on low to medium standards. For the blue color, maybe a Picea pungens globosa type such as R H Montgomery Blue spruce would be more easily contained and give nice winter interest too.

Ocutter
09-27-2000, 09:24 PM
For more blue choices you can also go with a Boulevard Blue Cypress.

cutntrim
09-27-2000, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. It is a very small area so the mature size of what is planted is obviously a concern. It is actually partially covered by a gazebo-type roof. It's a covered area in front of the main doors to allow people some shelter from the elements while waiting outside. One of the brick pillars of the enclosure is actually in the garden bed. Thus I don't have the entire 10'x10' area to work with. I was thinking of perhaps some hostas around the perimeter (or alternate them with some little blue star junipers) and a dwarf specimen in the center. Just not sure what to use yet...

I've actually removed the old scraggly junipers already and amended the soil plus added cedar mulch. Just need to add the plants now. :-)