PDA

View Full Version : shredder vacs

ffemt1271
06-26-2003, 12:54 AM
anyone using the leaf shredder vacs? what kind and how well do you like them? how well do they perform? thanks.

Envy Lawn Service
06-26-2003, 02:02 AM
As in the type I have listed below?

pinnacle
06-26-2003, 02:10 AM
Great for clean up around pools

Sthill SH 85 had it for 3 years and its still going strong

ffemt1271
06-26-2003, 01:15 PM
yep, i am talking about the handheld type. i was thinking of getting one, but wanted to k now if they were worth it?

edrenckh
06-26-2003, 02:10 PM
They have their purpose, mostly where you can't blow leaves. It's not a Billy Goat machine, not real fast either.

Blessed 1
06-26-2003, 03:16 PM
I have the Echo and its the least used power tool that I have. Should have kept the cash on that deal. I've been saying that I was going to start using it as a blower just to get some use out of it!

edrenckh
06-26-2003, 03:22 PM
Yep, I have the Echo too. Posted it on a thread (maybe here?) on the "Worst piece of equipment" thread.

Downeast
06-26-2003, 06:36 PM
If you have money to burn ,go ahead and buy it.

I agree with edrenckh and Blessed.

Its a good blower for walkways and such.

I carry it with me as a back up blower ,but gave up on using it for anything else.

If you think you are gonna stick it bushes and suck out the leaves . Forget it. If you think you are gonna use it to suck up piles of shrub clippings or clean the beds of them. Forget it.

It will pick up clippings and debris , but it is not worth the time
or effort. You have to be right on top of it for it to work. It gets really awkward to handle, and the bags get all dusty and starts to really hang on you. Then starts to fall off as it fills up.

The vac portion of that tool is one of the worst tool investments that I have made.

As a hand held blower it works really well.

TLS
06-26-2003, 06:39 PM
Would they work well for sucking leaves out of basement window wells?

How about sucking up hedge trimmings?

Do they have the power to suck up small stones?

Could you use this to remove debris off of river jack beds?

They HAVE to be good at something, or they wouldn't make them.

Right?

Downeast
06-26-2003, 07:26 PM
TLS

I bought it for all the reasons you listed.

It is just not worth it. It will suck the leaves out of the window wells , but it is just easier to scoop the out with you hands and the use the bp blower to put them with the rest.

The clippings in beds from trimming. It is best just raking or blowing them into a pile , then hand loading into a barrel.

It will pick up mulch from the beds because you have to get right on top of what you want to get. I mean directly on top of it. With the nozzle of the vac touching the debris.

I really wanted it to work out, but it just didnt. I no longer even consider using it any more.

The bag on it becomes a real pita. Every time you turn or bend it wants to flop around or off. And the dust pours out of the bag.
It gets heavy real quick.You have to hold it well out in front of you.

Spend the money on something else or save it. Wish I did.

Downeast
06-26-2003, 07:31 PM
BTW,

Envy Lawn Service As in the type I have listed below?

Yes , thats the one .

Envy Lawn Service
06-27-2003, 04:18 AM
Hummm..........that's strange because I'm just in love with mine. So much so that I've been meaning to getting around to posting a review about it.

As with anything, I have a few minor complaints. But overall for me mine was worth every penny and then some. Where it shines for me most is at retail sales location accounts. I use it for the pre-mow cleanup and it works perfectly. I use it to vac up all of the trash and debris. Its a real back saver for me. Register receipts are the worst! Plus, if you do happen to miss something prior to mowing and shred it all over the place, it only takes a minute to vac it up. Also it's a snap to use in areas where it's hard to blow. My clients like that I use it around their entry's and along pedestrian/customer walkways.

The blower is the perfect every stop clean up blower. Grab it, one pull, quick blow and it's back to the truck. Quick and light. But, I wouldn't want to try to do a backpack job with it.

My dislikes are....

Stupid hose clamp used to hold the vac tube on.
Has enough power to suck up stuff it can't shred
Sometimes plastics will wrap around the shredder instead of shredding

edrenckh
06-27-2003, 09:20 AM
I can see where picking up a bit of debris here and there it would be OK. But for leaves, I'll use something else....

As a hand held blower, works fine too. It's not a backpack, but it's OK.

ProMo
06-27-2003, 09:43 AM
mine has been collecting dust since the 3rd bag ripped apart in 4 weeks of use the only time it was usefull was for picking up cig butts at the dmv

Blessed 1
06-27-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Promo Lawn Services
mine has been collecting dust since the 3rd bag ripped apart in 4 weeks of use the only time it was usefull was for picking up cig butts at the dmv

Ditto Mines is hanging in the shed. I have every bit if 2 hrs total usage on it. :mad: