PDA

View Full Version : Trim my bushes for $30

Rob T
06-26-2003, 09:02 AM
Yesterday while mowing a customers property the lady comes out and wants to know how much I would charge for trimming all the bushes in the front of the house. I gave her a quote of $100 for trimming and cleanup. She tells me the neighbors lawn guy does their (the neighbors) trimming every 2 months for the price of a mowing ($30) and wants to know if I could do the job for the $30. I smiled and told her to give the neighbors lawn guy a call, I think she was surprised I turned her down. I just can't imagine trimming bushes for $30. It's an easy job, but it would still take at least 2 hrs. $15 hr...I don't think so.

Do you guys price trimming for the same price of a mowing?
What would you charge?

1stclasslawns
06-26-2003, 09:06 AM
is that the neighbors in the background? Look at the bushes there. I think I'd met her somwhere in the middle. Not 30.00 but not 100.00 just to keep someone else off the place.

jim

rvsuper
06-26-2003, 11:03 AM
Certainly looks like she can afford to pay 100 bucks to get her bushes trimmed, don't ya think?

Gravely_Man
06-26-2003, 11:11 AM
I would not do that work for $30.00 but that is just me. Naturalawn does have a very good point about wanting to keep others off of the property.

Gravely_Man

CMerLand
06-26-2003, 11:37 AM
Rob,

AHHHH you gotta love those "poor folk" out in West Windsor dont you? Your price was right if not even a little low, considering you could spend an hour easy just in trying to fix up those screwed up spirals in the front. Factor in the time to drive to and from the site, cleanup and disposal of trimmings and the expertise of properly trimming shrubs properly, (which Im sure this other idiot doesnt) and you should deffinately charge in the $ 100 to $ 150 range.

And as far as $ 30.00 a cut, you can keep all of them out there. Those properties should be going for $ 60.00 to $ 80.00 a cut, considering the amount of Nitrogen that Sterling bombs most of them with and the amount of growth we have to deal with. But thanks to those idiots out there driving the price down to next to nothing, and the way most of those lawns looked during these past weeks of rain, I continue to just laugh.

I hate working in that area, and have slowly dwindled the number of house out there to a handful clients that will pay my higher rates, although still not the $ 60 bucks a cut minimum we should be getting.

Yep good old West Windsor, they want it now and they want it cheap, so they have the extra money to pay their au pair. Nope, dont miss a single customer we use to cut out there.

Best of Luck

CMerrick

tiedeman
06-26-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by naturalawn
is that the neighbors in the background? Look at the bushes there. I think I'd met her somwhere in the middle. Not 30.00 but not 100.00 just to keep someone else off the place.

jim

I agree with you on this. I would get in good with them. They could have more work for you in the future.

gogetter
06-26-2003, 05:19 PM
Am I reading your post right?
Does your customer want it done ONE time at the $30, or does she also want it done every two months at $30 each time, like the neighbor?

cos
06-26-2003, 05:45 PM
I would call her bluff. $30 for those bushes is way cheap. Tell her you will knock off about $10 bucks, that's the best you can do and explain to her all that's involved.... clean-up, removal, disposal...etc.

cos
06-26-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by tiedeman
I agree with you on this. I would get in good with them. They could have more work for you in the future.

That's crazy. Then there is going to be alot more work to be done and they will be saying, "well you did the bushes for $30". I think alot of us had one of these customers at one time or another. :( They are cheap skates and will do anything to stick money back in their own pocket and pick from yours.

GraZZmaZter
06-26-2003, 06:06 PM
I would stick to your guns. Its YOUR business. Its YOUR equipment. Its YOUR price. Explain to her why you pay more with your company. Tell her your going to get more, and not a half-wit job.

awm
06-26-2003, 06:10 PM
i believe id try to get her shrubs for 30 a month... that way, u just touch them up occasionally... the job never gets to be a biggee... my price on a one time ,with clean up would be at least a hundred.
depending on whats in the back.

tiedeman
06-26-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by cos
That's crazy. Then there is going to be alot more work to be done and they will be saying, "well you did the bushes for $30". I think alot of us had one of these customers at one time or another. :( They are cheap skates and will do anything to stick money back in their own pocket and pick from yours.

I am not saying that I would do them for $30. I am saying get in good with her. But if she still won't move on the price then that is a customer that you don't want to have.

Evan528
06-26-2003, 08:10 PM
:dizzy: Boy are you guys cheap for trimming shrubs. My price would be in the 200-225 price range. Trimming is hard work and cleanup is even worse!

tiedeman
06-26-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Evan528
:dizzy: Boy are you guys cheap for trimming shrubs. My price would be in the 200-225 price range. Trimming is hard work and cleanup is even worse!

speaking of cleanup, what is the best way to cleanup shrubs in mulch, not stones, that people have found? We experiment with 3 different ways, but it just stills seems like a pain.

turkp15
06-26-2003, 08:29 PM
How Much would you guys charge a tree?

Turfdude
06-26-2003, 09:47 PM
I agree $100 is way too low. I'd want at least $20 -$25 for EACh of the spirals. $5- $10 a piece for the rest. The clean-up is at least 1/3-1/2 of the job, plus you have disposal costs. Evan - I'm w/ you.

Harry0
06-26-2003, 10:03 PM
200-300-easy-another $75-$100 for insecticide if needed-My 2 cents-Harry

Jusmowin
06-26-2003, 10:20 PM
$ 150 bare minimum, and if the person is a PITA then thats anouther $50.00 I guess youall can tell I really dislike trimming bushes :mad:

CoachLinz
06-26-2003, 11:10 PM
I would charge something like:
$10 each for the small/medium size
$30 each for those spirals - they are a pain (just did 2 yesterday)

From the looks of that picture, I'd say you're looking at $150 minimum.

2 man crew
06-26-2003, 11:33 PM
Just whats in the pic would be $250.00.

$30.00:rolleyes:

2 man crew
06-26-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by CoachLinz
I would charge something like:
$10 each for the small/medium size
$30 each for those spirals - they are a pain (just did 2 yesterday)

From the looks of that picture, I'd say you're looking at $150 minimum.

I counted around 23 small to medium shrubs.

That would be $230 + $60 for the spirals on your price breakdown.

bobbygedd
06-27-2003, 01:34 AM
the small ones i figure 5 -6 per hour. the spirals about 20 min each. what do u get for a lawn like that up that way?

greenman
06-27-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
the small ones i figure 5 -6 per hour. the spirals about 20 min each.

Geez, what are you guys using? Hand shears? That whole job shouldn't take more than 2 hours. Trim the shrubs, blow the debris onto the lawn, then mulch them or bag them up. Done. Schedule the shrubs the same time when you mow, like I said, blow onto the lawn, then mulch or bag the yard. $100 sounds good. $30? rofl!

gogetter
06-28-2003, 12:50 AM
It's hard to say for sure by a photo, but I'd figure about 3 hours for one person. This includes clean up. Add another 1/2 hour to drive to dump.
3.5 hrs X $40/hr + the $10 dump fee and I come up with a total of $150.

Again, photo could be misleading.

exmarkdude
06-28-2003, 01:18 AM
How much would tis women pay to have her hair and nails done? A haircut around here runs about $10 per cut plus tip!!! Have you ever had your hair cut by a cosmetic college? You know what I mean !!!

brucec32
06-28-2003, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by Evan528

I agree, and I don't charge enough myself for my speed and great equipment. But this is one area people see to be inconsistent on and you could lose a customer if not carefull.

charging a set rate for it is tough. Who determinds when "trimmed" is trimmed?? You, her? Quite a difference taking a little off the top and reshaping her whole setup. I charge by the hour, so if someone wants more done, they pay more. So far, no takeers, but I don't do a ton of them, thankfully. With the clock ticking, they seem much less concerned with your picking up every falllen leaf on the ground .

mikeymike
06-28-2003, 09:31 AM
$30 bucks........You said the price of a cut. You only get 30 bucks for that lawn? Is that just for the front or is there a backyard also?????

lawnworker
06-28-2003, 09:50 AM
First off, she live in a nice house. She can afford to pay going rates. Secondly, thirty dollars would be to cheap, even if you are just tip cutting them every two weeks.

From what i see in the picture, $ 250 would be to high. Some of the arborvitae and junipers can only be feather trimmed anyways. Your price of one hundred seems good to me, especially if you could hook her up on a schedule.

As far as clean up goes, bring some plastic cut in half moons to put around the shrubs while trimming.

Happy trimming;)