PDA

View Full Version : New Toro 36" w/Flex-deck

gravedigger5
06-26-2003, 11:50 AM
I posted about a month ago about hydro vs belt 36". Just wanted to thank everybody for their input. Ended up getting a new Toro 36" hydro fixed deck, identical to the Exmark Viking. Added a bull rider sulky and a Flex-deck attachment. The FD went on easy and have been really amazed at the trimming capability of this setup. I am really surprised more lco's on here don't have them, mine is proving out to be a real time saver. I'm still out to lunch on the Bull rider, probably could have gotten by with something cheaper, but it sure is heavy duty. This is my first "hydro" walk behind and I love it:blush: , will never want to use a belt drive again. Thanks Marc

Doc Pete
06-26-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by gravedigger5
I'm still out to lunch on the Bull rider, probably could have gotten by with something cheaper, but it sure is heavy duty. This is my first "hydro" walk behind and I love it:blush: , will never want to use a belt drive again. Thanks Marc

Well, if you got anything else without castors, you couldn't get into those tight spots and then Back up and out, with "complete" confidence. So, with that in mind, the bullyrider isn't much more than other castored velkys, and it's just built better. Also, you'll love the "roll limiter". I've gone over 10" sink holes and the roll limiter keep the velky from tipping. It's like the hole isn't there. And, all the bushings and stuff will last much longer, too.
Pete

FrankenScagMachines
06-26-2003, 03:40 PM
I didn't realize Toro made a fixed deck hydro (thought they only made belt drives in fixed deck) anyway congrats and good luck, let us know how the Toro and F-D hold up.

ULTIMATE LAWN
06-26-2003, 05:57 PM
Can you please post a pic.

I also was not aware Toro produced a fixed deck hydro recently.

gravedigger5
06-26-2003, 07:34 PM
Toro just came out with this mower for 2003. My dealer had to special order it, cause the area rep didn't even have one yet for anybody to demo. this year it was only available in a pistol grip cause Toro was redoing their t-bar line or something. The mower itself is identical to the Exmark Viking fixed deck hydro. (Toro-Exmark imagine that:rolleyes: )

Just got back in from mowing. Thursday's route I usually leave the ZTR at home and use a 21" and a wb on all my smaller yards. Well today I left the 21" on the trailer and only used the new 36"w/flex deck (54" total cut). Cut my time by well over an hour and managed to average just over $1 a min from the time I unloaded at the first yard until I loaded up at the last yard. Before I was only averaging $40 to $45 an hour. Marc

LAWNGODFATHER
06-26-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by ULTIMATE LAWN
Can you please post a pic.
Nope, you can't have a Flex-Deck, I will make sure of it

Marc nice to not have to use that small mower isn't it?

ULTIMATE LAWN
06-26-2003, 08:23 PM
How are the hydro's on the newer T-Bars? I gave up on Toro because older models have been too jumpy even with excessive adjustments.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-26-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by ULTIMATE IDIOT
How are the hydro's on the newer T-Bars? I gave up on Toro because older models have been too jumpy even with excessive adjustments. REread his post, he's got pistol grips.....................................

FrankenScagMachines
06-26-2003, 09:28 PM
Marc, sounds like a good money makin' time saving machine! Now you should be able to add a couple more lawns on Thursday :cool:
Plus your fatigue is waaay down right? How do you like the Bullrider? Too bad you couldn't get the T-bar on it. Just for curiosity why didn't you go get an eXmark Viking with ECS? Is the price about the same? Did you get the Toro because of the dealer?
Thanks,
Eric

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-26-2003, 09:54 PM
Pardon the stupidity....What is a flex-deck???

Derek

gravedigger5
06-26-2003, 10:49 PM
dmontgomery: Its about a 21" mower deck that hinges off the front left corner of the main mower deck and drives off the main deck spindles. Great for trimming and adds 18" of extra cutting to the original mower, plus hinges up and down to contour mow or fold up to fit thru gates. Use the search button in the upper right hand corner and do a search for flex deck. You'll find lots of info. And welcome to Lawnsite

FrankenScagMachines: Exmark with ecs was about $300 more and not happy with that dealer. I like dealing with my Toro dealer.

ULTIMATE LAWN: My dealer said you can't get a T-bar with a hydro for 2003 only in belt drive. Their suppose to be redesigning the t-bar or something. All i could get was the pistols in hydro, but I really like it.

Rick Jones
06-26-2003, 10:54 PM
Actually you can get a brand new Hydro w/ the Enhanced T-BAR. The "Classic". I bought one at the beginning of the season. For some reason some of the dealers don't know about it, but it is right in the Toro LCE catalog.

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-27-2003, 08:33 AM
Thanks gravedigger...I did the research and saw it.......interesting but probably not for me....

Derek

MacLawnCo
06-27-2003, 11:38 PM
gravedigger5,

what is the overall width of your machine with the FD in the up position? Any pics?

gravedigger5
06-28-2003, 11:18 AM
MacLawnCo: Folded up the it is 39" to the bottom of the flex's deck not counting the caster wheel. It sticks out an extra 2" but is far enough forward you probably can snake it through a 40" gate. I had a gate Thursday that was 90 deg. up against a house, had to hit it at a little bit of an angle, was really tight, but made it through. Worse case scenario you could take the FD off and gain the 2" back, not too hard to do, off and back on in about a minute. If the yard is any size at all, would be worth it. Marc

gravedigger5
06-28-2003, 11:33 AM
I don't have digital camera yet but I will try and get some pic's posted in the next week, Marc

Meg-Mo
06-28-2003, 11:21 PM
I am glad the Flex deck is working for you. We have used them for four years on a 72" John Deere, 61 Country Clipper, and a 36 Exmark.
When you get used to the deck you will find that you can increase more than you already have.
Shows what a little ingenuity will do.

gravedigger5
06-29-2003, 01:04 PM
Roy Megli: I agree there is a learning curve to this setup and figure out more every time I use it. What is the hp ratings of your mowers and do they handle the extra deck alright? My 15hp Kawasaki twin seems to do just fine, but I am thinking now of putting one on my Toro Z 62" 25hp Kaw and have some concerns about enough hp, especialy in heavier wetter grass. Marc

Meg-Mo
06-30-2003, 05:40 PM
Our JD is a 24 HP with 72" deck plus Flex Deck. The 61 Country Clipper has a 25 Kaw. The 36 Exmark had a 14 which wored good, but the engine went bad after 10 years of service. We had a 22 Kohler on hand and put that on the Exmark. We also have a Sulky on that 36. So the 25 on the 62 Toro should do a fine job. We made a fine adjustment on the Flex deck to make them work better and pull a little easier.

Flex-Deck
08-23-2003, 04:07 PM
Ngog Nrythmg - Here is a thread that gravedigger started after using his 36" Toro with the Flex-Deck - Tried emailing you, but it is not working. Thanks

Flex-Deck
08-27-2003, 08:09 PM
ttt-thanks - gravedigger5 is on board

gravedigger5
08-27-2003, 08:20 PM
Brad, have you tried those meg-mow blades yet? their alot like the blades on my 9' disk mower I have for my 50 hp tractor. Would be similar to running doubles. Marc

Flex-Deck
08-27-2003, 09:24 PM
gravedigger - the meg mo's will work fine, but you have to raise my spindle to keep them up above the skirt. I have shims for that. The Meg Mo's are about 3/16" lower that the gator we send with the deck. The gator is 3/16" thick, and the disk on the meg mo's is also 3/16", so the cutting blades on the Meg-Mo blades are lower by the thickness of the meg mo blades + the washer between the meg mo blade and the disk. Thanks, Brad