PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! How Do I get rid of this BROWN???

Reel_Green
06-26-2003, 12:19 PM
Iíve been working since spring to get the brown dead growth out of this Zoysia lawn in the Nashville, TN area. Weíve had a fairly damp spring and the temperatures are reaching the upper 80ís and low 90ís so it canít be temperature or drought related. Iíve de-thatched, fertilized but none of it seems to be working. I even dropped my deck height to 2.5Ē in hopes of ďcutting outĒ the brown but itís still there. From a distance the lawn looks nice and green but when you look straight down you see the dead grass. Iíve also noticed that some of the grass just doesnít seem to be growing after itís cut. After the grass has been cut a week some blades have grown an inch or more while other blades havenít grown at all and still have a brown tip from being cut. The only think I have not done to this lawn is lime it. It also appears that I need to encourage lateral growth. It just isnít as think as a Zoysia lawn should be. Any ideas on what might be the problem or what I can do to remedy the problem?:dizzy:

HarryD
06-26-2003, 03:16 PM
Looks to me you need to bag it once to get all the lose grass that your just blowing around. make sure you have razer sharp blades on

heybruck34
06-26-2003, 03:59 PM
MY yard looks the exact same. I don't think bagging will help- it's not clippings that are the dead grass.

Reel Green is right- about 50% of the grass grows to a certain point and then stops. It looks great from a distance but then when you look at it real close there's a lot of dead grass mixed inwith the live stuff...

This applies to the established lawn areas and the areas I planted grass seed last fall. I planted Rebel III last fall and it has YET to grow at the same pace as the lawn surrounding it.

HELP ME TOO!!!!

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape
06-26-2003, 04:46 PM
A fungus maybe??If you put out alot of nitrogen this year you will probably have alot of brown patches.It has alot to do with all the rain.There are some products out there that will correct your problem,I cant think of the name right now but im sure some one will remind me.:)

65hoss
06-26-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by LakeSide Lawn and Landscape
A fungus maybe??If you put out alot of nitrogen this year you will probably have alot of brown patches.It has alot to do with all the rain.There are some products out there that will correct your problem,I cant think of the name right now but im sure some one will remind me.:)

I agree. We are seeing a lot of fungus this year due to 2 extremely wet years. A fungicide would help to kill the fungus.

SpudsM15
06-26-2003, 05:01 PM
I've been making a few extra bucks applying fungicides this season. But it the fungus sucks because I have a few lawns that have fungus problems but the people do not want to spend a few extra bucks to cure the problem. So i had to redo my routes so that they'd be last. That or i have to clean out the deck after i cut... I dunno if scraping the deck will get all the fungus off the deck.. Oh well

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape
06-26-2003, 05:02 PM
The product I use is from lebanon,it works real well and one bag covers about 15,000 sq. feet.I just cant remember the nameHope this helps

KirbysLawn
06-26-2003, 05:23 PM
That is more than likely old leaf spot or dollar spot damage, not brown patch. If it was brown patch the sections would be dead and you would have holes there.

It is a little late now to bother with fungicides on zoysia in this area, most damage has been done. I would suggest putting urea down, a 44-0-0 along with iron or sustane for color. You need to feed it and get the old dead blades grown out.

wacamaster
06-26-2003, 05:44 PM
I suggest cutting the grass higher. Try 3.5".

Reel_Green
06-26-2003, 06:13 PM
KirbysLawn,

I've never used urea but I'm willing to try anything. Do you recommend applying the urea and iron in any particular order?

GraZZmaZter
06-26-2003, 06:14 PM
Perhaps your bringing a disease from the lawn your cut previous to that one.

Do you do the list the same every week??

GroundKprs
06-26-2003, 06:29 PM
My experience is just with the Meyer strain, for northern climates, but may also apply to you. Zoysia is a very tough blade, and takes a lot longer to decay than most other grasses after death, cutting or damage. To have an outstanding zoysia lawn up here, you cut it as short as the terrain will allow without scalping, just as the zoysia has achieved a 25% greenup. This removes all old blades at this low height, and they do not show the rest of the year. At this point, if you can cut shorter (not that short) one time, then go back up, you would probably remove a lot of the visible dead.

Of course, an ornamental turf is meant to be viewed from a distance, not staring straight down at it. Not that many lawns look perfect if you view it like your picture.

And the cut on a grass blade is always there. Grasses grow from the base of the leaf, so once a leaf is mowed the first time, it has a cut on it. The amount of brown on the cut area will usually be determined by the sharpness of your blades, and sometimes by environmental influences.

Reel_Green
06-26-2003, 11:16 PM
Have any of you ever used ironite? I've heard it helps green up the lawn and encourages lateral growth. Any first hand experience with this?

quiet
06-26-2003, 11:32 PM
Just my 2 cents, but I agree - somewhat - with GroundKprs. Early on, cut it as short as you can without scalping. But I disagree about letting it grow out much longer. The best zoysia lawns I see around here are kept at 1-1/2". Those that have been left to grow longer have exhibited all the symptoms your describing. But that's here in TX where the weather varies a lot from day to day . . . from hot and dry, to hot and humid.

Very interesting discussion!

greenman
06-27-2003, 12:05 AM
Reel Green, to put it in simpler terms as to what Ground Keeper said.........lol. Zoysia (as well as Bermuda) needs to be "scalped just before the turf greens up. This procedure has to be bagged to pick up all the dead grass. Its a dusty process too. Then gradually raised the deck level as the heat intensifies or after periods of rain. We only cut the "tops" of Zoysia off here. It's maintained at a high level. If the Zoysia is not "scalped" in the early spring, dead sprigs of grass will be present in the lawn. No big deal, but can lead to accessive thatch after a few years. Also, as said above, its not noticitable usually from a distance, but only when seen up close. I am currently cutting Zoysia at 3.5" due to excessive growth from a rainy season.