PDA

View Full Version : Replacement String Trimmer Head w/Plastic Cutters

Rick Jones
06-26-2003, 07:38 PM
I was just wondering if anybody has used those string trimmer replacement heads with the plastic "fingers"? I can't think of the name of it, but they are one of those "as seen on TV" products? Anyway, I had a customer stop me while I was trimming and told me I should get one of those things. Said the last guy had one. Would be nice not to have to restring the trimmer, but I've never seen any pros use them. Must be some reason...

KenH
06-26-2003, 07:48 PM
Imagine hitting a drainpipe??!! Ive never used them....seemed impractical.....plastic breaking, etc.

Rick Jones
06-26-2003, 07:54 PM
Yeah that's what I figured. I have to remember to never listen to a customer's advice concerning equipment.

tiedeman
06-26-2003, 08:19 PM
I wouldn't feel that they would have any give for when you hit something. Waste of money is what I think, but of course I can not come to a complete and accurate discision until I try them.

saw man
06-26-2003, 08:40 PM
they do have give when you hit something, but i do no find them pratical for trimming.
if you are trimming thicker stock then the plastic flail heads work good

proenterprises
06-26-2003, 09:12 PM
they have this thing called the "weed thrasher" which is also an as seen on tv product (could be the equation for piece of shyt) and its just a gold head which you install of your trimmer in place of whatever head you have on now. Then they just have red pieces of string that snap into the head.

A similar product is sold by echo called the cross fire head.....
My experience with the echo model is piece of ****, its just 095 line that you feed in and when you want to change it you have to stop the trimmer, reach into your pocket for 2 new pieces of line and then fight to get the short line out of the head..

The biggest problem is that dirt, grass and other **** gets caught in the head (because its open and not closed) so more times than not you have to get all the **** out of the way before the line will actually come out of the head.

********IN CONCLUSION*************

its better of to just stay with the BUMPNFEED heads
:cool:

lawncare3
06-27-2003, 03:05 AM
They SUCK,

They are ONLY good for tall grass (bushhogging)

GrassGator is what it's called it is great for heavy duty jobs but trimming forget it. Back it went.

Gravely_Man
06-27-2003, 11:35 AM
I would not even try something like that but that is just me. That would be too expensive to replace the "fingers" when you hit something.

Gravely_Man

Jimbo
06-27-2003, 05:58 PM
I run the Stihl poly cut blades. The blades take alot less power in heavy grass weeds, and they hold up pretty good until you hit a stick or something hard. The Stihl version lets you put string in with the blades to help protect them and prolong their life. If the going gets tough the blades get the job done.

I wouldnt try the "seen on TV" junk but the Stihl definately has its place. If you have to cut heavy grass in the wet they are a must have.

I think its overkill for regular trimming but I have noticed that its much easier to see how close you are to objects with the white blades. Also the blades tend to cut the grass clean instead of ripping it out by the roots. Ever notice the grass receding along your edges??? Its because your string it ripping it out by the root a little every week.

Jimbo

Envy Lawn Service
06-29-2003, 02:18 AM
Jimbo,

Do you use the Poly Cut all the time or just for the heavy stuff? Also, does it cause extra vibration you can fel in your hands?

Jimbo
07-07-2003, 02:55 PM
Envy- I have a couple different trimmers and I would say 90% of the time I only use the Polycut blades for the heavy stuff grass in for sale lots etc.
There is no more vibration than with string...maybe less (unless you break the tip off of one and then it can vibrate).

Jimbo

Doogiegh
07-07-2003, 10:58 PM
I used the plastic blades on my Ryobi trimmer a year or two ago around my own property to get rid of some way over-grown areas of weeds and junk. They worked very well, until as other said, you hit a rock, stick, twig, or even the ground. Then the plastic piece shatters in 1/2, and now you have (of a 3-plasitc knife system), 2 that are full length, and one that is 1/2 it's original length, which means the whole trimmer vibrates like crazy cause it's way outta balance.

I also found METAL heads. Man, it was like a spinning Ninja blade. I made sure I wore steel tipped boots when using them. They sliced through anything like it was a circular saw. But, same deal, hit something hard enough on an angle, and the metal blade can even snap in 1/2.

I did end up hitting an embedded tree trunk that I didn't see in the brush clearing deal. Probably launched the metal piece a good 200-300 feet away into a field. I saw that and said forget it, cause if that was my head it went towards instead, it would of been like a bullet out of a school book depository....

I went back to regular .095 quad angle cut trimmer line with a bumb head like the rest of us now.

Gary

bob
07-07-2003, 11:11 PM
I once had a customer who insisted that I should use the type of trimmer head that has 2 cutters that look like chain saw chains. He swore that they would last forever. I tried to explain to him that they wouldn't suit the type of trimming that I do. I could only imagine trying to trim down a sidewalk with this metal chain banging against the concrete.