PDA

View Full Version : John Deere 7Iron????

bushwacker
06-26-2003, 08:59 PM
Anyone used this mower?

Got any thing good or bad to say about it?

Looking to be buying a new walkbehind mower. Just doing a little research and development.

mike9497
06-26-2003, 09:54 PM
the deck is junk.cuts like you know what.seen a few bend when i use to work for deere

bushwacker
06-26-2003, 10:27 PM
Well that clears that up.

FrankenScagMachines
06-26-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by mike9497
the deck is junk.cuts like you know what.
After having used one on a JD M655 54" mid deck ZTR, I tend to agree with Mike...

wildbilly1113
06-26-2003, 11:44 PM
Having run M655 for 2 years, it's now my backup,[LC Lazers] I have to say the 7 iron deck is one of the few good things about a JD.It discharges good and mulches great an has held up to rough West Virginia terrian!

mike9497
06-26-2003, 11:45 PM
just stating the truth.JD dealers feel that a welded deck like exmarks break all the time.never seen a weld break plus if it did its easy to fix.once you bend that JD deck it will never be the same.plus all JD mowing decks cut like junk.clumps everywhere.discharging is not even

imograss
06-27-2003, 12:09 AM
i will have to disagree with what alot of people are saying about the 7 iron deck. most people either love em or hate em. ive got the 60 7 iron deck on a m665. ive never had to scrape the deck one time in the two years ive owned it. i also have a deere hyro w/b 54" not a single problem with it either. ive practically bushhogged with the 7 iron deck. ive never seen one of these decks bend, or any other deck for that matter. if you bent the deck on a commercial mower, youve really screwed up. the clipping arent mulched as finely as some other decks, so you kinda get a trade off. evenly dispersed longer clippings or periodic clumps of wet ground up grass (common with fab decks)ive since purchased a super z which i love, but i cant knock the deeres ive run for years and still do. i have great dealer support . as with what alot of people say on these forums, alot is heresay, downing other brands without ever having any experience with them at all. this is my experience with deere commercial mowers that ive ran for seven years now. just my .02

Mowingman
06-27-2003, 12:29 AM
I had one on an M665 ZTR. Did not care much for it. It would mow down anything you could run over. However, it just cut it off and spit it out. Did not cut anything up at all. I never did try the mulch kit, but it would probably be a good idea to use one on the 7 iron deck. Also, the spindle shafts were junk. Averaged one bent spindle shaft every month for the year I had the mower.:mad:

We do 4 U
06-27-2003, 01:35 AM
I had a JD w/b 54" at one time. I HATED IT! First let me say it was one tough machine. Now for the bad parts. It had solid rubber castor's wheels ( would beat you to death!), clumped in normal dry growth, the belt drive was available only with a fixed deck, PISTOL GRIPS SUCK, and the way the gear shift on the belt drives is seat up, I couldn't't get my 2 wheel velke to chain up out of the way, I had to take off the velke to get the mower off the trailer. Now this was 2 years ago when I bought the mower, they my by be different know.

I do have a 44" belt drive w/b Toro that is 4 years old that I love.
Look at Toro, Hustler (I have both and they, are good machines) and Exmark