PDA

View Full Version : Primo Maxx and weed controls


turfsurfer
06-26-2003, 09:36 PM
Have read on this forum about the product Primo Maxx and it's benefits as a growth regulator and stress pre-conditioner. I am definately interested in learning more about this product and possibly offering it to customers. Questions: Who is the actual manufacturer of this product so I can maybe access their website for info? Also, and very important, have any of you using this product noticed that it decreases the effectiveness of your broadleaf weed controls? Does it also inhibit the growth of these weeds and limit their intake of the herbicides? Thanks for any info.:confused:

kickin sum grass
06-26-2003, 09:40 PM
we mix it right in with the weed control product and can't tell the difference in weed control with or without primo in the mix.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-27-2003, 09:48 PM
I was told to wait 2 weeks before applying Primo Maxx after weed control app.

You slow the growth down, what's that going to do to the take up of weed control.

Again this is a labeled product, so you must follow the label, if it says not to mix then....................

kickin sum grass
06-27-2003, 09:58 PM
it will tell you on the label it is ok to mix with weed control, fertilizers etc. It will also tell you the order in which each product is to be mixed in.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-27-2003, 10:09 PM
I don't remember the label from last year..

That would make for some kick grass kitchen mix...

rvsuper
06-28-2003, 12:58 AM
My box says Novartis.

KirbysLawn
06-28-2003, 02:14 AM
Primo Maxx can be mixed with herbicides, fungicides, or insecticides with no change in the how the other product works. Since PGR's should not be sprayed on lawns with active disease you should use it with a fungicide as a preventive, other wise no problems.

Click here to view the label: http://www.syngentaprofessionalproducts.com/labels/Index.asp?nav=PrdLst&F=PrdDsp

Doc Pete
06-28-2003, 07:57 AM
I'm not sure I get the benifits of Primo maxx, unless you are "playing" with the customer. In other words, it seems like you are charging a lot "to the customer" for slowing his growth rate down, "BUT" still cutting his lawn "possibly" more than it needs it. As I understand, since the stuff only last about 2 months, you'd make more money by just cutting the lawn more often. How bout some figures on the cost to apply Primo against just cutting the lawn more often. It almost sounds as though you lazy guy's are just apply a chemcial to make money, and then charging a big buck to cut "and bag" a lawn that doesn't need to be bagged because it's not growing. Sorry, something just doesn't sound right, since it sounds like you guy's are losing money by not mowing, or mowing when the lawn doesn't really need it.
Pete

kickin sum grass
06-28-2003, 09:06 AM
First of all you should use caution when when using the term lazy guys. I will not tear into you for being ignorant about the benifits of primo, but some on here will.
First of all, most lawns around here only get cut weekly. NO one, or a least very few will let you cut as often as needed. So, primo slows the growth rate down so you are not cutting 7-8" off the top = healthier turf = less mower wear = less headaches for customers and operators.
Also the money spent for primo compared to a customer that would pay to have the lawn cut 2 times a week, or pay for the bagging and disposal fee, or double or triple cutting is much less.

We are professionals doing what is needed to do for the health of the turf to satisfy customer needs, within a customers budget, to the satisfaction of the customer, all in a timely manner while working around mother nature. If you think this is easy to do then you need to step up your clientel. We are not "playing" with the customer, but we are playing the customers game. I am here to play to win not lose. I would loose if I told the customers they had to pay to have it cut 2 times a week or left piles of clippings, or charged an arm and a leg to bag all those clippings. But a customer will pay a one time fee to get rid of the extra reoccuring fees.

My suggestion is look up primo on the net, do some research on the benefits, find someone in your area using it and observe the lawns, and when asking for help understanding it on this forum do so in a professional manner without slander until you fully understand the subject.

Doc Pete
06-28-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by kickin sum grass
First of all you should use caution when when using the term lazy guys. I will not tear into you for being ignorant about the benifits of primo, but some on here will.
First of all, most lawns around here only get cut weekly. NO one, or a least very few will let you cut as often as needed. So, primo slows the growth rate down so you are not cutting 7-8" off the top = healthier turf = less mower wear = less headaches for customers and operators.
Also the money spent for primo compared to a customer that would pay to have the lawn cut 2 times a week, or pay for the bagging and disposal fee, or double or triple cutting is much less.

We are professionals doing what is needed to do for the health of the turf to satisfy customer needs, within a customers budget, to the satisfaction of the customer, all in a timely manner while working around mother nature. If you think this is easy to do then you need to step up your clientel. We are not "playing" with the customer, but we are playing the customers game. I am here to play to win not lose. I would loose if I told the customers they had to pay to have it cut 2 times a week or left piles of clippings, or charged an arm and a leg to bag all those clippings. But a customer will pay a one time fee to get rid of the extra reoccuring fees.

My suggestion is look up primo on the net, do some research on the benefits, find someone in your area using it and observe the lawns, and when asking for help understanding it on this forum do so in a professional manner without slander until you fully understand the subject.

Well your first mistake is taking this forum too seriously. However, as I mentioned, please give us some information about cost pricing. First, on this forum, I've been told the Primo needs to be applied every two months. If that is incorrect, blame the "other" professionals, not me. Ok, next, please let us know the cost for spraying a normal 1/2 acre homeowner lawn. Now, I can cut a 1/2 acre for $30 in 25 minutes, which is about $65/hour. If I cut the lawn every 4 days for two months that's about $450. The extra cutting for cutting every 4 days instead of every week is about $200. So, is the cost of the primo and it's application more or less than $200??
Then, on the other side, if the beginning of the season is not wet, I'd be cutting the lawn every week anyway, in which you are cutting the lawn "with primo" too often, or if you let the lawn go every other week, you are losing mower money. Please enlighten me.
Thanks,
Pete

kickin sum grass
06-28-2003, 01:22 PM
1/2 acre cost is 63dollars and 80 cents. We apply it along with the broadleaf so application labor for us is 0. So we may charge 100 for this. We only apply it once per spring growth rush. If the spring starts out dry we usually hold off on this for a while and get it down at the perfect time. You can apply it more often but there is not much need around these parts.

So the answer is yes it is cheaper to spray for the customer than multi cuts per week. The actual cost to the customer depends on what you have to make on your labor to apply it.

You may say well I could make more off the customer cutting every 5 days than 7. True - but you could also do more customers every 7 days. You will have a hole in your schedule when these 5 dayers dry up and need it only every 7 and then a larger hole when they only need it 10 days.

Basically, In my opinion primo helps level out the mowing schedule, makes it easier do cut, saves a few bucks for the customer, lets us do more customers, save wear on equipment, strenghtens roots, gives a deeper green color, and helps in develope drought tolerance. I would recommend trying some on just a couple customers next spring and see how you like it. My bet is you will never want to cut without it.

kickin sum grass
06-28-2003, 01:26 PM
Sorry I calculted wrong above. I figured 1 oz per 1000, but it is labeled for .75 oz per 1000. The cost would be 48.4. that half acre cost for primo is for a true 1/2 acre of turf not lot size. If the half acre is a lot size with a house, driveway etc than the cost is even cheaper.

KirbysLawn
06-28-2003, 02:27 PM
I think I had said several times before if you get paid by the cut avoid Primo Maxx...unless you get paid good $$ for the apps and then go for it, you said you don't do apps so I would avoid it. You seem to be curious about Primo so I will try to add a little to what has already been said.

How damaging is mowing to grass? How much worse is it to mow 6" off twice a week? You borught up cost and laziness, is it not better to have a healther, thicker grass, more drought resistant, and a lawn that can be mowed weekly.

I think many forget the other benifits of Primo which is it's ability to pre-condition grass for drough stress, the main reason I started using it.

Look at what Primo did for this yard:

KirbysLawn
06-28-2003, 02:42 PM
What about this yard, even if you were getting paid by the cut Primo Maxx would still be making you money since the grass is still green and the other is brown:

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?postid=288775

Doc Pete
06-28-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by kickin sum grass
1/2 acre cost is 63dollars and 80 cents. We apply it along with the broadleaf so application labor for us is 0. So we may charge 100 for this. We only apply it once per spring growth rush. If the spring starts out dry we usually hold off on this for a while and get it down at the perfect time.

Well that sounds like a good deal. I thought it was much more expensive. That's why I asking for some detail in the the pricing. I guess my only problem is I don't have a pesticide license. Thanks for the info.
Pete

turfsurfer
06-29-2003, 10:49 AM
Thanks for all the replies folks. I agree that if you are mostly relying on mowing income, then it's possible that Primo could cost you some income. I however, am trying to gradually phase out mowing and concentrate more on lawn apps. The area that I see the most potential for this product is selling to homeowners who mow their own lawns and like the idea of slower growing, green grass in the spring. I see many of them cutting the grass every couple of days. Even applying low N in the spring doesn't change the fact that grass will grow like crazy mid-April through May in Ohio (this season it's still growing with all the rain we've had). I cut my mowing customers on an as needed basis so it might cost me a bit there but there are always a couple of lawns that I would like to slow down just for MY sanity. If applied right in with the weed control, I think the savings/cost will be a wash for the customer, but they should still be happier due to the stress pre-conditioning results I've seen in some of your photos. I'm thinking I will be trying this out next spring on a few lawns and we'll go from there. Thanks again for the input.:D :D

Lawn-Scapes
07-04-2003, 12:10 AM
If I am calculating correctly based on the info above..

Primo cost approximately $375 per gallon and will treat almost 4 acres. Are these figures correct?

Thanks

ParksGuy
07-08-2003, 09:08 PM
:)
I'd add that PGR's are a tool and ALL tools have a time and place...
The best times of year to apply IMHO are APRIL 15 (covers your butt in MAY) and then somewhere around Sept. 21- Oct. 7 depending on rainfall.....
The key on your Fall ap is you gotta WAIT till you got soft turf again... ;)
NEVER,NEVER,EVER- EVER apply to turf that is stressing, so don't try to apply to turf in decline.

ChickensDoo
07-08-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by ParksGuy
:)
I'd add that PGR's are a tool and ALL tools have a time and place...
The best times of year to apply IMHO are APRIL 15 (covers your butt in MAY) and then somewhere around Sept. 21- Oct. 7 depending on rainfall.....
The key on your Fall ap is you gotta WAIT till you got soft turf again... ;)
NEVER,NEVER,EVER- EVER apply to turf that is stressing, so don't try to apply to turf in decline. Good advice. I once used it a little too late in the spring (actually early summer) for an edging type treatment. Turf was going into stress mode and the primo-treated edges could not grow enough to recover..... :blush:

ChickensDoo
07-08-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Lawn-Scapes
If I am calculating correctly based on the info above..

Primo cost approximately $375 per gallon and will treat almost 4 acres. Are these figures correct?

Thanks Thats a darn nice price for Primo Maxx. I've seen it for $20-60 higher per gallon in the last 2 years. Check the label for your grass types - rates vary by type.

Lawn Tek
07-08-2003, 09:51 PM
One point that has been missed is if you have contracts less mowings mean you could be working on the next job or jobs making xxx per hour instead of mowing rapid growing grass under contract .

Doc Pete
07-08-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Lawn Tek
One point that has been missed is if you have contracts less mowings mean you could be working on the next job or jobs making xxx per hour instead of mowing rapid growing grass under contract .

Not that I use the stuff, but it only makes sense if you're not using it to bit the contract assuming a lot of cutting. If not, you're asking for trouble.