PDA

View Full Version : help adjusting Briggs max RPM

Envy Lawn Service
06-27-2003, 02:54 AM
My father-in-law is on his 3rd new Troy Built garden tractor in 2 weeks already. #1 failed tranny #2 bad electrical problem #3 he has now. The engine RPM's need adjusting.

He asked if I would try to help him bump up the rpm's on it over the weekend. I told him sure, but after giving the governor a quick once over, I could use some experienced advice before attempting it. So, since I can't seem to fall asleep tonight, I thought I'd go ahead and post.

It's a V-Twin Briggs Intek engine.

I can't seem to talk him into taking it back and demanding a refund to get something else. So, any help would be appreciated by the both of us.

Tharrell
06-27-2003, 06:09 AM
You HAVE to use a tachometer if you do this. Take it to a dealer if you think it's not at full rpm, it should be under warranty. You'll be replacing connecting rods if you mess it up.

mowingmachine
06-27-2003, 08:51 AM
Two options. Briggs has different governor springs to adjust the rpm or you can bend the throttle control tab that holds the governor spring. Bending the tap is the easiest way to do it. There are also several holes that need to line up on the throttle control when in full thottle. Hope that helps.

mowingmachine

Envy Lawn Service
06-27-2003, 01:08 PM
Thanks guys!

I couldn't find a tach to buy locally. Can you believe that? Anyways, I did manage to get the RPM checked with a tach at the shop.

A little over 3200 RPM. No wonder he was complaining. That's gotta hurt blade tip speed and cut quality. The sad thing about all this is that everyone is sooo backed up with repairs. I will have to manage to find a way to fix it for him if possible.

Bend the tabs or get springs huh? Sounds right because I don't see any sort of slide adjustment or the likes to do it with. I wonder what max rpm should be on it?

Envy Lawn Service
06-28-2003, 11:07 PM
What about the governor pivot crank that comes out of the block? The govenor lever pivots on that crank. That crank holds the throttle wide open when the engine is off.

I wonder if the bolt could be loosened on the lever, the crank turned to apply more pressure and the bolt tightened back down?

TLS
06-29-2003, 09:44 AM
I'd be cautious.

Some engines are govorned to 3250 RPM.

I don't think that this is your case though, but you never know!

Check the Briggs site. They may have downloadable manuals on it. Doesn't your father-in-law have his engine owners manual? It would state it in there.

Northern has Tachs, and can be delivered in a few days. If you get the Sen-Dec one, you dont even need the wire for a quick test. Just hold the unit itself against the plug wire. Other types need a ground and need you to use the wire.

Envy Lawn Service
06-29-2003, 10:06 PM
TLS,

I am being cautious. I haven't dared to touch it yet. I have read the manual cover to cover and exhausted the Briggs site for specs on the adjusment. All but that is listed.

I guess we'll have to break down and order the tach and a Briggs repair manual for the engine. I have not been able to locate either one to buy around here. I hope the repair manual details this adjustment.