PDA

View Full Version : engine running hot and getting hotter

SCAPEASAURUSREX
06-27-2003, 08:07 AM
Hey guys.... I am having a problem with my truck running too hot... It usually runs at 190 to 195 degress... Now over the last two weeks or so, it's just be going hotter and hotter... The beginning of this week it was nearing 200 then yesturday afternnoon it was just under 210.... Getting concered it s gonna keep going untill it pops it s cork.... It has a newer radiator, has a flex fan..... and a 220degree waring setup.... so at least it will shut down befoer it blows.. But I'm afrid to go to work today ??? Some one told me that maybe the timeing chain has streatched and is making the timeing off and cuasing it to run hot ? Also someone said that maybe the water pump is going ?? It's not weaping through the hole yet ??? anyway.. I just got a new water pump and a timing set.. But does this make anysence or should I be looking elswhere to find the problem... I tested the cooling system for pressure and leaks and all checked out OK and the af was replaced prior to winter ?? So what else or am I on th eright track... PS whos coming over this weekend to help me put the timing set in ?? LOL.....

Lawn Tek
06-27-2003, 08:32 AM
I doubt its a water pump . I sold thousands of water pumps and only saw one sheared impeller . True , a motor with the timing retared can cause it to run hot , but again timing chain not likely , save your money . Blow head gasket could , usually white smoking , but you had that tested with pressure check . You did not say make and model so I would check the fan clutch if it has one . There are two kinds , one starts working v i a temp , the other v i a rpm's . People who idle arround a lot i e farmers prefer the ones that work v i a temp . Now , if it has a coolant temp switch , electric fan controller ,could be problem .Also are you sure its running hot , could be faulty gauge , temp sensor , check with infra red temperture device .Don't forget a thermostat
Hope this helps .

blafleur
06-27-2003, 07:28 PM
Sounds like thermostat to me.

Bryan

SCAPEASAURUSREX
06-29-2003, 07:37 AM
I was running a flex fan, directly driven, no clutch... But I just swapped it out to put the stock clutch driven fan in.. It seemed a little better in the morning , but by the afternoon the thing was back up to 210 degs..... I did notice however that when warming up in the morning or from sitting for awhile , that the guage would go up to 205 and then drop down to 195 and then slowly work its way back up.. So I am guessing that the thermostat is bad cause its opening later than it should for one ??? I ruled that out cause I just replaced it prior to snow season... But who knows... I got the water pump and timing chain set anyway and will just change over everything just to be safe and start fresh... along with a new thermostat and hoses, etc........ Thanks for the feedback... Hopfully one of these thing is the prob if not I''ll be back..... Only thing left would be the radiator ??? Thanks again...

SCAPEASAURUSREX
06-29-2003, 07:38 AM
Ohhh and the gauge and senders are all new from autometer, just replaced them the beginning of the spring mounted on the A pillar, so now I notice them all the time... Thanks again..

ffemt1271
06-29-2003, 08:08 AM
1 grab the fan and shake it up and down, if there is some play in it, then it could be the water pump. it could also be the pump if it weeps out of the hole in the bottom. 2 take off the cap and start it, let it run till it gets to temp, then look into hole and see if it is curculating water, if not then it's the thermostat. 3 also if you see little spots of oil in the radiator , that means a blown head gasket:(

Arnold
06-29-2003, 10:32 AM
The temp your taking about dosen't sound to hot to me if it is dropping down like you said, remember that the temp your getting is in a different spot than were the thermostat is at. The engine might be at 210 but the water only at 195. Different parts of the engine are going to run a little hotter than other spots. I would check the mix ratio of your water and coolant a high ratio of water or coolant can cause you to have a lower boiling temp. You can always get a low temp themostat to help like a 160 you might have to order it special. Hope this helps.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
07-02-2003, 07:05 AM
I think I found it out... It was a combination of things...... It appeared that the thermostat was not opening untill 205. ( the temp sender is right next ot the thermostat...) So I replaced that .. The timing chain was streatched out about 1/2 to 3/4 of play.. So out that went , put in a pete jackson gear drive... the water pump did have some play in the shaft, no weaping from the hole on top on the fords.. So put a new water pump in... Reset the timing and walla..... Under load its' at 196ish, and without trailer down to 186 ish..... at least yesterday it was, see what happens by the end of the week.... I can tell you that the increase in power was incredible... like I just added 100 hp... what a differance...... Thanks for all of the help guys....