PDA

View Full Version : How long can you trim for

dfor
06-27-2003, 08:22 PM
I just read another post where someone said they straight out for 5 hours. Holy sheit. Gotta hand it to ya. I work alone and bust my butt when trimming. No dilly dallying, like I see some guys helpers. Slow. I don't like to trim more than 30-40 minutes at a time. I only have a few places where it takes that long. It just gotta stop or I get sloppy. Is it just me. I think I might have ADD.

BIGWIV
06-27-2003, 08:37 PM
I have 3 accounts where I weed-whip for two hours straight; with only a break to refuel or add string. When I'm done my back shoulders and mostly my right wrist are sore.:cry: Might be the age also that plays a factor. LOL Don't remember being this sore 10 yrs. ago. Thank god for the 15 min. lawns:blob3:

mike9497
06-27-2003, 10:07 PM
my leg after a day of trimming

cos
06-27-2003, 10:12 PM
OUCH!!!!

C & T
06-27-2003, 10:15 PM
If your trimmer supports a shoulder strap attachment, this helps the back. All my stihl trimmers have it and they do work.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-27-2003, 10:24 PM
I got guys that all they do is run a trimmer till the trimming slows down..

MacLawnCo
06-27-2003, 10:33 PM
Mike, sounds like you NEED a ZTfire, lol:p

LAWNGODFATHER
06-27-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by MacLawnCo
Mike, sounds like you NEED a ZTfire, lol:p That ZTF 1000, No Way.

Doc Pete
06-27-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by dfor
I just read another post where someone said they straight out for 5 hours. Holy sheit. Gotta hand it to ya. I work alone and bust my butt when trimming. No dilly dallying, like I see some guys helpers. Slow. I don't like to trim more than 30-40 minutes at a time. I only have a few places where it takes that long. It just gotta stop or I get sloppy. Is it just me. I think I might have ADD.

Screw those guy's that weed wack forever. In 30 years they'll need new arms. Read your manual. work for 15 minutes and take a minute to stretch and relax. Remember you want to do this for a living, not end up out of business in ten years.
Pete

Rhett
06-27-2003, 11:51 PM
Have a contractor that has all of the mediums here. He sends his guys out with a weed eater and a 2 gallon fuel can every morning. Being the nice guy that he is he drops off a fresh supply of fuel after lunch. Picks them up at the end of town about 3 1/ 2 miles later and deposits them at their comfy home with about 12 other weed whacker guys. What a swell guy:eek:

fblandscape
06-28-2003, 12:20 AM
I did one a couple years ago where it took 2 1/2 hrs of trimming to complete. I was able to go straight through until a refill of gas or string was needed. Usually used up the better part of a head.

tiedeman
06-28-2003, 12:25 AM
I think that the longest that we trim for is about 35 to 40 mins

Barkleymut
06-28-2003, 12:33 AM
Me and my employee mow an industrial complex where it takes me about 9 1/2 hours straight mowing for me and about 9 hours trimming for him. He doesn't complain much. I sure do prefer sitting on the Chopper to trimming. I have done this property by myself quite a few times. It takes me about 5 hours trimming because I know a few spots where I can skip, and I'm much faster than him anyways. Plus after a 14+ hour day I am basically running with the trimmer.

tiedeman
06-28-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Barkleymut
It takes me about 5 hours trimming because I know a few spots where I can skip, and I'm much faster than him anyways.

LOL...so I am not the only one:D

HazellLawnCare
06-28-2003, 12:40 AM
We have a couple jobs where 3 of us will trim for 4 hours plus. My question is how long you can trim shrubs non stop. I'm talking going from bush to bush and letting someone come behind and do the clean up?

Frosty_03
06-28-2003, 12:41 AM
Man that leg look like it Hurts, that's why I wear long pants and combat boots when I do the weed wacking. I hope you legs get to feeling better Dude!!!!! GOD SPEED.:cool:

mike9497
06-28-2003, 01:34 PM
i was wearing long pants lol.the red marks are from rocks and trimmer line hitting me.it hurts but you get use to it lol lol

mottster
06-28-2003, 03:29 PM
We mow a HOA in town that is about 65 houses. We edge and trime all of those houses then we trim along 1/2 a mile of water front, 1 mile of sidewalk to be edged and about 300 yards of fence along the entrance. With three guys on walkers and one on a husqvarna then 2 that trim full time...the walker guys getoff and help trim when they're done....takes about 3 hours. i'm one that goes non-stop. get about 30 houses done in 3 hours.Or i can do all the water front and side walk with the fence.

rodfather
06-28-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by mike9497
i was wearing long pants lol.the red marks are from rocks and trimmer line hitting me.it hurts but you get use to it lol lol

Mike

You ought to think about wearing some shin gurads or something. You sure as heck any gonna win any beauty pagents with those wheels...lol

bob
06-28-2003, 07:58 PM
Mike it looks like you were trying to trim the hair off of your legs! Ouch!

battags
06-29-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by tiedeman
I think that the longest that we trim for is about 35 to 40 mins

Same here. I have no idea what I'd do if I had to trim for 3 hrs. Heck, a half-hour is too long for me as it is. I can trim a two acre lot with approx. 20 trees and roughly 1200 ft. of mulch beds in around 20 minutes. How big is a 3 hour trim job?:dizzy:

HOMER
06-29-2003, 09:09 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how the trimmer line is beating the **** out of your leg?:confused:

I get some rocks and sticks now and then but I haven't "trimmed" my leg yet.........that has to hurt!

Anyway......I can usually go for an hour or so on a tank of gas.....that pretty much takes care of my biggest account, the rest are 30 minutes or less.

Barkley: You have one dedicated employee! 5 hours trimming while he watches you mow? Does he have a brother- sister - cousin?

Doc Pete
06-29-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by battags
Same here. I have no idea what I'd do if I had to trim for 3 hrs. Heck, a half-hour is too long for me as it is. I can trim a two acre lot with approx. 20 trees and roughly 1200 ft. of mulch beds in around 20 minutes. How big is a 3 hour trim job?:dizzy:

I think it's obvious what some of us feel trimming for 3 hours is, is not what others think it is. I doubt anyone on a regular basis, can actually use a trimmer that weighs 12 to 14 pounds and vibrates for 2 or 3 hours. Heck, just look at the warnings on all the products that stress to take frequent breaks while using the equipment.
However, using it and stopping for a smoke (bad, bad) or a drink, food or just to stretch the back muscles, which must be done after bending over that long, is more like what really happens.
Finally, I don't mind working, but I can't be paid enough to weed wack or hedge trim for the amount of time some of you guy's claim. Do it the next day, life's too short, it's only a job................
Pete

Doc Pete
06-29-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by HOMER
I'm still trying to figure out how the trimmer line is beating the **** out of your leg?:confused:

I get some rocks and sticks now and then but I haven't "trimmed" my leg yet.........that has to hurt!

I think that goes far to explain his true trimming ability:dizzy: If I did a 1/4 of that damage to myself, I'd look for another profession........... Maybe "sleep testing pillows";) ;)

mottster
06-29-2003, 12:52 PM
Its not like you're walking along a fence holding the trimmer perfectly level for 3 straight hours. do a lot of walking in between trees....you get a couple water breaks...and replacing trimmer line takes up a few minutes about once a "session" Its really not that bad. I prefer to use one of our Redmax cc2300's cuz its n't nearly as heavy as the redmax 2500C's we use for heavy trimmings or brush cutting. The inside of my elbow on my left hand (the one down low) used to kill from the swaying back and force and stuff...but i got i nice lil band that puts pressure on it and problem solved. We wear protective hearing with built in radio so it goes by fast.

Doc Pete
06-29-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by mottster
The inside of my elbow on my left hand (the one down low) used to kill from the swaying back and force and stuff...but i got i nice lil band that puts pressure on it and problem solved. We wear protective hearing with built in radio so it goes by fast.

And, if you begin pulling the trimmer toward you, stepping forward, and then pushing it backwards, instead of the side to swaying with only your arms, you'll be able to get rid of all the bands, you'll be faster and use less effort, too. Been there done that, now I'm better. Good luck,
Pete

mag360
06-29-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Switchless@aol.com
I think it's obvious what some of us feel trimming for 3 hours is, is not what others think it is. I doubt anyone on a regular basis, can actually use a trimmer that weighs 12 to 14 pounds and vibrates for 2 or 3 hours. Heck, just look at the warnings on all the products that stress to take frequent breaks while using the equipment.
However, using it and stopping for a smoke (bad, bad) or a drink, food or just to stretch the back muscles, which must be done after bending over that long, is more like what really happens.
Finally, I don't mind working, but I can't be paid enough to weed wack or hedge trim for the amount of time some of you guy's claim. Do it the next day, life's too short, it's only a job................
Pete

Has anyone else downsized trimmers and noticed a big difference in fatigue.
I just started using husquavarna (323) and it is much nicer to use at less than 9 lbs (it weighs 9.0 with the guard on)

Also does anyone separate mowers and trimmers on a crew (give two guys trimmers, blowers, and a small pickup and tell em to go have fun) This seems like it would be more efficient as trimming can be done much faster than mowing.

Albemarle Lawn
06-29-2003, 08:52 PM
Last year on a farm where we do 8 miles of fence both sides I was solo once last year, 10 hours trimming.

DanG
06-30-2003, 12:29 AM
Because i do cemeteries I some times have to trim for extended hours at a time.
I try to keep it to around 5-6 hours per day if i can but in the past i've gone as much as 10- 12 hrs string trimming in a day.

I've done a ton of trimming this past week and have to finish up three other sections tommorrow which will be another 6+ hrs of trimming.

I stop just for a 1/2 hr lunch and take breaks when i've got to rewind spools of line(i carry 2 + the one on the trimmer) and refuel the trimmer.

Dan

MuskTurfKing
06-30-2003, 03:43 AM
I think the most I've ever trimmed would be about 8 hours, with the break time totally up to probably about an hour. We have so much weedeating to do out on the course, it'd take probably 3 guys working very hard 8 or 9 hours to get the course done, just the trees. That doesn't even include edging up all the drains and the sandtraps.

I edged every sandtrap out there non stop one day, took me about 3 and a half hours.

It took me 8 hours to trim all the stuff around the greens and tee boxes on 9 holes.....and I hit.....2 ponds.

It takes two guys 8 hours to trim all of our ponds

Hank

David Haggerty
06-30-2003, 08:14 AM
I had carpal tunnel syndrome until I got an operation this last winter.

My string trim time was down to less than 10 minutes before my hands would cramp.

I'll do anything to avoid the string trimmer.
My motto is "They pay us to mow, we trim for free."

I got really good with the back pack sprayer. Recontoured some beds so no trimming was needed. Bed edging, stone, whatever it took.
Now I have some really big accounts with very little trimming. I figure it pays off if I keep the customer year after year.

Dave

BTW My hands are better now but I still couldn't do what some of you guys do, trim for hours.

Doc Pete
06-30-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by David Haggerty
I had carpal tunnel syndrome until I got an operation this last winter.

My string trim time was down to less than 10 minutes before my hands would cramp.

Yeah Dave, you learned the hard way, before I knew better, I did too. I had 2 frozen shoulders. It's nothing to proud of, to beat the hell out of your body. We should be talking about injury prevention instead of how stupid we are to weed whack so long. Sooner or later if you keep up working those muscles too hard you'll pay for it. Kids, dumb Kids......................
Pete

mike9497
06-30-2003, 10:46 PM
the string breaks off after running it against something.then it smacks me in the leg