PDA

View Full Version : Aeration timing

crazygrassman
06-28-2003, 09:06 AM
When is the best time to aerate a well established lawn? Will I do any harm to my lawn if I do it now? I hear many positive remarks about aerating with a machine but too scared to try it.

grass lover
06-28-2003, 12:53 PM
Early growing season is the best as it lets the new soil breath. A plug aerator is the only way to go. The spike or tine units actually compact the soil further and can be detrimental. As your grass is growing above and below the surface you will find that the plug holes will quickly fill in with new grass. I have aerated 4 times so far this year and my front yard has gone from a weed filled dust bowl to a lush green yard. I have over seeded/fertilized after each aeration, but the results have been fantastic.
If you have a large area and a riding mower the drum style pull behinds are great. If you are on less than an acre and don't mind the work, rent a Ryan or Bluebird power model. They will work your arms and back maneuvering it around your property, but WOW what a difference it will make. Best to do when the ground is still moist, not wet, but moist. I have either watered heavy the day before or done right after a good rain. Easiest way to tell if your ground is ready is to stick a flat thin screwdriver into the ground. If you can get down 3-4" without much problem your ground is perfect for aeration. Don't be afraid of the machines, they are no problem to run. If you can run a push mower, then you won't have any problems. Good luck and enjoy the new growth.

crazygator
07-01-2003, 06:25 PM
Actually anytime is a good time for aerating only.

You do not want to put down seed being so close to the heat of summer though. Fall is the very best time to aerate and seed. Cooler temps and fall rains help the grass get off to a good start. Spring is the next best time for this total package.

If you have access to rental places check and see if any of them have the Rock Solid Plugr to rent out. I own 2 of them and they are so awesome. Very very easy to use, and you wont feel all beat up after your day. They work off a cam action, so your ground doesnt have to be all that moist to pull a great plug. Also these are very easy to operate, so dont be scared. You wont hurt anything using them!

CO.d 502nd
07-01-2003, 06:35 PM
april may early june and then again in september october are best times around here.I never aerate when its in the heat of summer.