PDA

View Full Version : Pricing Questions

FiNaL
06-28-2003, 07:54 PM
What would you all charge to mow a lawn that is 3/4 of an acre? thats mowing along with weed eating? We're located in Ohio, and here most mowing jobs start at $15.

pottstim
06-28-2003, 11:08 PM
If I were doing it, it would probably be in the neighborhood of $30-$35. That's pretty much the going rate here for yards that are 3/4 to a full acre, give or take a few bucks. I use that price as a baseline then charge extra for anything that would cause me extra trimming like lots of trees, fences, etc. Yards that size will typically take me an hour to mow, trim, and blow. Those prices are about right, because I like to try to average $25-30 per hour. Best of luck.

Rustic Goat
06-29-2003, 01:50 AM
$15.00 is your typical lawn, really, that's bad, ever think about moving?

I'm not saying this in any attempt at humor either, that's just terrible, $15.00, why not just give it away, become the first not for profit/charity LCO.

Anyone reading this thread, is that price correct, this guy needs some help, or is it Ohio?

pottstim
06-29-2003, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Rustic Goat
$15.00 is your typical lawn, really, that's bad, ever think about moving?

I'm not saying this in any attempt at humor either, that's just terrible, $15.00, why not just give it away, become the first not for profit/charity LCO.

Anyone reading this thread, is that price correct, this guy needs some help, or is it Ohio?

I live in a semi-rural area of East Tennessee and that $15.00 price for a 3/4 of an acre yard is much too low even for here. Some of the lowballers I've seen advertise in the paper "cheapest prices anywhere" might do it for that though. Like I said earlier most LCO's here typically get 30-35 and maybe $40 per cut. If I knew all I could get was $15 for that size yard, I believe I would just stick to my full-time printing job.

Lawn Cops
06-29-2003, 03:31 AM
$40.00 Minimum, probably more like 50. It depends......

GarPA
06-29-2003, 06:26 AM
I dont really care much anymore if its a 1/3 1/2 or 3/4 property. With a Z, the amount of turf is far less important then how much trimming there is and/or how many obstalces. 45 to 50 dollars

FiNaL
06-29-2003, 12:06 PM
Yep all the small one man or family lawn care companys are charging $15 and up a yard. I never said that 3/4 acre was going for $15 around here. I just said Mowing prices START at $15 and up. I looked over the whole thing yesterday and i am charging $25 for just mowing and $32 for mowing and trimming and $40 + for full clean up,mowing,trimming and blowing but blowing is free with every package i got. So what do you guys think about those prices that i have? Here's a question what would you guys Charge for a very small yard that is so small you can't fit a riding Lawn mower in? I'm just wondering cuz i am just starting out here. Do my prices seem right? or still to Low? The craziest Price i ever seen around here was some guy charging only $15 every single lawn. Anyways Thanks for the INFO

BSDeality
06-29-2003, 02:52 PM
shoot an "off" number to the customer; ie $38 instead of $40 and so on. I've had good success going $1-2 under a whole "larger" number. It's a psychological thing.

Green in Idaho
06-29-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by FiNaL
What would you all charge to mow a lawn that is 3/4 of an acre? thats mowing along with weed eating? We're located in Ohio, and here most mowing jobs start at $15.

I would charge $1,539.25!

That answer goes well with that question ...
:D

mmlawn&landscape
06-29-2003, 05:31 PM
My per acre pricing starts at $80. That includes the average trimming time (around 15-20 mins) for a yard that size. People around here that have that much land and even want an estimate from a lawn company has money and are just willing to pay that amount. So in your case I would have to price it at around $55-65 give or take a few bucks. Hope this helps.

greenman
06-30-2003, 12:32 AM
Mike, glad to see you made it to LawnSite. You'll love it here! I know I do. See ya around.

Rather Be Fishing
07-02-2003, 07:04 PM
FiNaL, when I started in 1990 my minimum cut/trim/blow ran $15. It was too low then and certainly too low now. Once I stepped up to a 36" commercial walk-behind I realized how much the small lawns were costing me. Since most of my first clients were elderly raising prices was like pulling teeth and since they were there when I needed them most (starting out) I ate the losses.Sure did hurt though to spend an hour for $15 or $18 bucks when I had $35 cuts that I could burn through in a half hour or so.

If I were to take on those accounts again today, $25 would be my minimum. Keep in mind most of those properties were of a "push mow only" size. Even if I could make a few passes with the 36", no way to get it in the backyard.

Use one or two of your better clients for references. When you explain your minimum price be sure to sell them on your quality work, if you're doing a top-notch job they'll notice. Once they've seen that and you establish a good pattern for reliability/consistancy they'll feel better for choosing you over someone cheaper.

Good Luck!:cool: