PDA

View Full Version : new customer/bad start

mikeymike
06-28-2003, 11:32 PM
Did a new customers yard today. The husband asked me for a price. I gave him my price and he asked me to do the yard today. On the phone he told me since he was'nt at home he would call his wife and have her leave me a check in the mailbox. I did the yard and (guess what) no check. They live in my subdivision and I actually saw the wife come home stay for awhile then leave again. Tonight, I saw the lights on in the house so I know someone was there. I never called him back or went to the house. Just erks me that someone tells me they will leave me a check and they don't do it. Especially since this is our first time doing business together. It was not a easy job because the grass was growing over the sidewalk and down on the street.
I will give them a few days to pay me before I make contact. I should have known better cause they seem kind of shady anyways. Oh well........

1MajorTom
06-29-2003, 12:04 AM
You need to call them.
Leaving a check in a mailbox is not cool. The mailman could have taken it.
You need to call and say that you didn't find the check, and you were calling to make sure that check hasn't gotten lost. Then go from there.
Then from here on in, you need to set up different payment arrangements. I like to do our billing just once a month. It's much easier than having to chase down payments after each cut.

Rustic Goat
06-29-2003, 12:29 AM
MM,
What are you doing, is this your version of crying in your beer?
Don't know how many times I've seen people leave checks in the mailbox, and likewise, seen someone get a check out of mailbox.
This really isn't a very good idea, make other arrangements.

There are numerous reasons why there may not have been a check in the mailbox in the first place. Don't tell me you and your spouse have never forgotten to tell one another about something.

Do yourself and your new client a favor call them, quit watching their house with anticipation, pick up the phone . . . . . . . .

mikeymike
06-29-2003, 08:59 AM
Yeah I will give them a day or two. I am not watching their house (LOL) they live up the street from me. I don't think the mailman took it because the mail was in the box when I finished and looked in it for my check. You guys are right though I need to make better arrangements next time. Thanks for the info.

mtdman
06-29-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by 1MajorTom
You need to call them.
Leaving a check in a mailbox is not cool. The mailman could have taken it.
You need to call and say that you didn't find the check, and you were calling to make sure that check hasn't gotten lost. Then go from there.
Then from here on in, you need to set up different payment arrangements. I like to do our billing just once a month. It's much easier than having to chase down payments after each cut.

Yeah, what he says. I actually dislike being paid when I do the service, unless it's a one time thing or special job. I bill all my customers monthly. Much easier.

:D

tiedeman
06-29-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by mtdmaster
Yeah, what he says. I actually dislike being paid when I do the service, unless it's a one time thing or special job. I bill all my customers monthly. Much easier.

:D

same with me. I like to bill them monthly. Because when they pay me right then and there I could lose the money and it's gets hard to remember whether or not they paid you the correct amount because you have to look at the invoicing.

I had a customer pay me once. She under paid me $42 of what the invoice was because I didn't have a copy right then and there. I called her up and let up know and you could tell that she was mad that I caught her in the game that she was playing.

wojo23323
06-30-2003, 08:06 PM
Just go knock on the door when you see someone is home.

mikeymike
07-01-2003, 07:00 AM
Saw the hubby the next day as I was doing another yard. I called him on the cellie-tellie and he had his wife put a check out front. This time it was there when I got there.......I do this PT so I don't want to wait a month to get paid. Plus i am sure most of my customers would not want to pay al at once.....

AztlanLC
07-02-2003, 10:29 PM
I do this PT so I don't want to wait a month to get paid. Plus i am sure most of my customers would not want to pay al at once.....

I had the same thinking for some time, but I realize that if you don't act like a company since the beggining you'll never be able to be full time, if you actually thinking of becoming one.

Every new customer I get, they have to sign a contract before I do any service, people is more responsible when they commit to something.

BigEd
07-02-2003, 11:17 PM
Should have checked for the check in the mailbox before you started.

mh1314
07-03-2003, 03:10 PM
When I do a job that's not on monthly billing and noone is home, I have some self addressed envelopes that contain a card which Thanks them for the business and tells them the exact charge for services. It also directs them who to make the check out to and where to mail it...just in case they lose the envelope. I close with inviting them to call for free estimates on addtional services. If you feel giving you can put a stamp on the envelope.

Works pretty good and takes away many of the excuses ie:

lost your address, phone number
couldn't remember how much I owed
thought you would come back by a jillion times until you found me
I didin;t have an envelope, stamp etc.

:blob4:

mikeymike
07-03-2003, 06:34 PM
Thnaks for all the info. I will be leaving every customer an invoice when I finish there lawn. This way they will know all the specifics of the service when theyy get the invoice upon them returning home. Does anyone leave recomendations on the yards for their customers on the invoice also?. (i.e. time to fertilize or aerate and such)

Bob Minney
07-03-2003, 10:22 PM
Does anyone leave recomendations on the yards for their customers on the invoice also?. (i.e. time to fertilize or aerate and such)

Yes, good way to sell extras.

Also if its a one time job & not on monthly billing just leave a return envelope with the invoice.