PDA

View Full Version : Gmc Jimmy? Tough enough?

lildog132
06-29-2003, 05:51 PM
Im looking into buying this 92' JMC Jimmy 6 cylinders, 4WD, and i was wondering if that's strong enough, and will last puling a 5 X 8 trailor with a 36" WB and 21"? Or should i go with a pick up like a Ford F-150?

KDJ
06-29-2003, 06:14 PM
A big truck can get small quick. I say the smallest truck to get would be a 3/4 ton. I use a f-350 and would never go smaller.

But I guess a 1/2 ton would pull a 5x8 trailer. The question now is how long can you use a small trailer like that. I say you will out grow it with-end 6 mo's.

Lombardi
06-29-2003, 06:22 PM
If it is the 4.3L, the Jimmy will be fine for what you are pulling right now. I had 3 Blazers and pulled 20'-25' boats with no problem. But, you will probably soon outgrow the capacity of the SUV and need a pick-up soon.

BSDeality
06-29-2003, 06:23 PM
KDJ, keep in mind LilDog132 is 16, probably still in High School and will use this as a personal truck as well. @ 16 i don't think he'll be landing any HUGE jobs that might require him to haul rock, dirt or large quantities of mulch.

LilDog132, to answer your question, yes a jimmy will haul it fine assuming the engine is in good running condition. However as KDJ pointed out (indirectly), SUV's are limited in their capacity for getting work done efficiently.

heygrassman
06-29-2003, 10:41 PM
If it is the 4.3L, the Jimmy will be fine for what you are pulling right now. I had 3 Blazers and pulled 20'-25' boats with no problem. But, you will probably soon outgrow the capacity of the SUV and need a pick-up soon.

I have one ('97) and tried to do the same thing. It is not good if you are putting a ZTR on the trailer. Couple W/B's would be fine, other than that good luck. Motor is gr8, tranny, ehhh....

pottstim
06-29-2003, 10:50 PM
The Jimmy with a 4.3 should do fine if you are gonna pull a 5x8. MY 2002 Silverado 4.3 pulls a 48" W/B, push mower, blower, and weed eater on a 6.6x10 and it does just fine. I am sure that it being a 5 speed helps out quite a bit. If you do get this Jimmy, make sure you use DRIVE (D), rather than OVERDRIVE (OD) when pulling. I will give you more pulling power, and it will especially save your transmission and the rest of the drivetrain. Best of luck.

ztrguy
07-05-2003, 03:05 PM
I use a 93 Jimmy 4x4. Pulling a 6x12 open trailer with a 54" ZTR. It pulls fine. Of course you aren't going to have the power to just pull out in front of anyone like you can w/ a pickup, but it will work.

Dstosh
07-20-2003, 03:34 PM
I use a 94 Jimmy 4.3 and if you are serious about this landscaping bit then i sugesst you go with a pickup...its a pain in the but to have to bungy every hand tool to the trailer instead of throwing it in the bed of the truck. In Ny you can't have a gas container on your trailer and so this means that I have to put it in the back seat of the truck..This gets old quick and stinks up the truck pretty good...I would strongly recomend against it if you are serious..

holew
07-23-2003, 02:34 AM
I have a 96 chevy blazer, 5x10 trailer, and all the fixins to haul and NO PROBLEM!!!!

mag360
07-23-2003, 08:52 PM
That tranny is weak if its an auto. As already stated don't use overdrive---that will kill it quicker

CoachLinz
08-02-2003, 11:57 PM
I personally would go with a 1/2 ton pickup with an extended cab if I were you. If you are only pulling a 36 and 21, the Jimmy will do fine, but I just like driving a bigger truck, preferably a pickup. A 1/2 ton will also allow you to haul up to 3 yards of mulch with no problem so you can pick up some of those jobs and not have to put it on your trailer. If you really wanted to simplify things, you could even haul the mowers and everything else you need in the pickup bed and skip the trailer all together. I do this with no problem with a '85 GMC Sierra because I don't have a place to park a trailer.

Swampbeast
08-04-2003, 05:58 PM
NO.

Nuff said.

:cool:

mklawnman
08-05-2003, 11:06 AM
If you are going in the business I'd suggest getting at least a 1/2 ton truck like the F150 to start with. I started with a 98 Ford Ranger 4x4 4.0L auto and it pulled a 6x12ft trailer fine with a ZTR and wb on the trailer, only problem is if you dont have trailer brakes then you gotta becareful. I've just heard that your goin to wear the tranny out on those 1/4 ton trucks pulling constantly.
SO suggestion would be to avoid the Jimmy and look for something a bit bigger.
Matt

Swampbeast
08-05-2003, 12:19 PM
At the VERY minimum, get a 1/2 ton (F-150, 1500) But I dont think even that is a good idea. The smallest truck I have right now is a F-350, one ton. The transmissions in those smaller vehicles just cant take the constant and daily abuse you will heap on it. Do yourself a BIG favor, go with the bigger truck, even if it puts you in debt for now. Because you will only be replacing transmissions every few months anyways, and transmissions cost quite a bit!

:cool: