PDA

View Full Version : I think an enclosed trailer may be my next major lawn care purchase

Keith
06-29-2003, 08:55 PM
Over the past few weeks we have been getting a good amount of rain. Almost always it's followed by hard starting on the trimmers and edgers. It can't be to terribly good for the mowers either. Not to mention, when it's not raining the sun is beating down on everything. I am tired of having to off-load small equipment every night as well, whether to keep it out of sight of potential thieves or again, the weather. On top of all that, I am about out of room with the open trailer. Two ZTR's and a sideways 36" walk takes up the whole thing.

How bad is it to tow a wider trailer on residential streets? My open 16x6.5 bounces all over the place when it hits a bump, pothole or speed table. Are enclosed trailers smoother? Not many of the streets are that narrow, but some look like they are about consumed with the trailer I have now. I just wonder if my dream 8' wide trailer would turn into more of a nightmare? :confused:

I really want a trailer that could actually haul a car if I wanted to, so that's kind of the big deal with getting a wide model. I don't tow a car now, but there may be a time where I would like to trailer the car to the track rather than drive it. If I am looking at a similar amount of money, I might as well get the big one.

glenjr10
06-29-2003, 10:28 PM
Keith,

I am in the same situation. I load and unload my trailer everyday, which has now gotten to be annoying. I am looking to get an enclosed trailer, but have not decided the exact design of the trailer.

If anyone has any insight in which type to get please e-mail me, with your suggestions, and views glenjr10@bellsouth.net.

When I say design, I mean, length, width, V-nose, or flat front, axle size, or other things, I know that I want a side door, but would you suggest getting a ramp to fold out for this one or just leave it as an access door.

Thanks for your suggestions, in advance.

wriken
06-29-2003, 10:33 PM
Thats one of the many reasons I bought this enclosed trailer, lock it up also and forget it. My equipments been in the trailer all weekend, while it finally rained out, (thank god)gives you lots more room in the garage. I have no problems getting around city streets etc, no more than my 20' open trailer. I say go for it:)

this trailer is 8.5'x25' with 5200# axles, total axle capacity 10,400#, subtract the 3800# it weighs is what you can haul inside. Thats the least # axles I would go with if your going to haul a car.

glenjr10
06-30-2003, 06:08 PM
Wriken,

What size tires are those? Those look like 16"

Glen

Frank2
07-02-2003, 11:34 PM
Keith,

I would not worry about 8' wide being too much. My first trailer was a 18'x8' enclosed. Never towed another thing in my life before this. Barely even know it's back there. I pull this thing on small residential streets and some pretty tight parking lots...no problems. I would definitely go for it.

wriken
07-03-2003, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by glenjr10
Wriken,

What size tires are those? Those look like 16"

Glen

yep there 16"s, think 225's

WLLD
07-03-2003, 01:06 PM
My preference on an elclosed is a v-nose - for some reason they are a little easier to see around. I have had all three types (open, enclosed car hauler and enclosed v-nose) The v-nose seems to be the best. The one I currently use is only 7.5' wide. A little tight, but great for towing. You can see right down the sides of it.

Shayne

Keith
07-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by wriken
I have no problems getting around city streets etc, no more than my 20' open trailer. I say go for it:)

Originally posted by Frank2
Keith,

I would not worry about 8' wide being too much. My first trailer was a 18'x8' enclosed. Never towed another thing in my life before this. Barely even know it's back there. I pull this thing on small residential streets and some pretty tight parking lots...no problems. I would definitely go for it.

These two responses stood out and made me wonder, do we have narrow streets here? How can it be that an 8' wide trailer is so easy to tow? Like I said my 16 x 6 1/2' open gets close to sides and center of the streets at times. And then it dawned on me :o My trailer is 6 1/2' wide inside :D A quick measurement shows outer fender to outer fender being 7' 10" and at the outer tire...over 8" I'm an idiot :o :D So roughly, the same width as an 8' enclosed trailer. I'm serious. I sat and thought to myself "how the hell can I tow something a foot-and-a half wider than what I have now?" Someone slap me :D