PDA

View Full Version : Sod turning white in hot weather

sunpro21
06-29-2003, 10:21 PM
I planted sod in early May and with all the rain we had in NJ
it looked great. However in the past week with temperatures
above 90 degrees, it has begun to lose its color and turn white in certain areas.

I have been watering every day.

What should I do?
Thanks
Sunpro21:)

greenman
06-30-2003, 12:44 AM
Its burn out/ thinning turf from the heat. Been in the 90s here for a couple of weeks now, with a couple of days even hotter. My fescue is starting to look like that. Not much you can do but keep watering, cut it as high as possible, (if it grows), and overseed this fall.

redbull
07-26-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by greenman
Its burn out/ thinning turf from the heat. Been in the 90s here for a couple of weeks now, with a couple of days even hotter. My fescue is starting to look like that. Not much you can do but keep watering, cut it as high as possible, (if it grows), and overseed this fall.

That about says it all. Without an irrigation system sod will cook

grassguy_
07-26-2003, 04:25 PM
Key is to make sure you're irrigation is done at the proper times as well. Watering early in the day, not during evening hours. Be sure there is time in the day that it is capable of drying completely so disease activity is not allowed to progress. Srynging early with the dew in the morning is best either by watering then or taking a garden hose and dragging over the turf to dislodge the dew carrying any disease organisms.