PDA

View Full Version : Want to try Double Blades

luckylawnboy
09-27-2000, 03:33 PM
I recently started checking into this site. I read a post about using double blades. I would like to try it out on my Dixie, but wasn't shure if I needed a bracket to hold them in place. I have a 25/60" so do I use a smaller blade on top like a ones for a 52" mower and place the 60" ones on bottom. I was also cocerned on weather it would slow my blade tip speed down. So if you have any experiance with this let me know. And is it really worth it.

Scraper
09-27-2000, 04:49 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but I think all the previous posts speak for themselves. And yes, it's worth it...it works awesome!

Eric ELM
09-27-2000, 06:23 PM
This is my 13th season of using double blades, so I guess I would qualify to answer this one. Yes, you have plenty of power to run double blades. I've run them on 60" DC's with only 20 HP Magnum engines and they handled the double blades just fine. I run a high lift blade and a Gator blade, both for 60" Choppers. You can use 2 sets of regular lift blades, a high lift and a regular, which ever you have laying around. The top blade doesn't even need to be a new blade, a worn out one will do just fine, because all it does is chop up grass clippings more. The bottom blade does all the cutting. You can get brackets, but you don't need them. I have a set of brackets now, but went for 12 full seasons and part of the 13th without. The only time they will move is if you hit something solid and if you do, just loosen up the bolt and adjust them in the + possition again and away you go. If you use a gator as a second blade, it only slows down the rpm's about 50 rpms, so it's not a big deal and the cut is worth it. They also are great for mulching leaves. I have an article on my website about double blades if your interested. Just make sure the bolt has at least 1" or more of threads to screw in the spindle and if you ever shut off the blades to scrape a deck, make sure the blades have come to a stop before putting your hands underneath. The blades will take a longer time to stop with double blades on.

I put on a set of mulching chains on my diesel Chopper today for the first time which are supposed to help with leaves and clippings. It is a bracket that has 2 short chains on each spindle and are 3" above the bottom of the spindle. I also have the double blades on so I am going to chop the leaves up big time this year. With this set up I'm not using the brackets to hold the blades in a + possition. The leaves haven't gotten very thick yet, so I'll report in on how this works later on when they start dropping more. Good luck and if you have any more questions, I'll do what I can to answer them. If anyone has an interest in this setup, I'll post a picture of this combination so you can see it. I've taken the picture, I just don't have it uploaded yet.

Vandora Lawn & Landscape
09-27-2000, 07:35 PM
With the gator blades, how do you set them up? Gators on top or bottom?

SMB
09-27-2000, 09:36 PM
Go for it! Tonight, I cut semi-high grass wet with a plugged deck and at 4-5 MPH or so. Not bad! Our machine, a Bob-Cat ZT219 48"cut 2000 model ZTR. I can't say all this was because of double blades, but it has a very fine cut and stripes better.

Eric ELM
09-27-2000, 09:57 PM
Try them both ways and see what works best for you. I've tryed them both ways and it doesn't seem to make much difference for mine, but each mower and deck is different. On an old 1993 60" DC we had, it didn't cut worth a darn if I put a Gator on as a second blade, so we used a high lift and a regular lift blade on it. Just try different combinations until you find what works best for you.

Wayne Offiler
09-27-2000, 11:44 PM
As a result of this forum, a couple of months ago, I installed double blades on my 48 WB. WOW! I now nicely mulch grass that I definitely would have been bagging in the past. So, save a lot of time. Striping is also noticable better.
I have regular high lift blades on the bottom, a 1/8" spacer, then a mulching blade on the top. This is simply a high lift blade that is sharpened its entire length.

Eric ELM
09-28-2000, 09:22 AM
Try a Gator on top or double Gators when it comes to mulching leaves and see what that does for you. I think it will chop up the leaves a little better.

TGCummings
09-28-2000, 10:24 AM
I tried the double-blading through August-September and loved the way it cut up the high grass. However, on leaves it was atrocious. Instead of sucking the leaves up and mulching them fine, as they should, the leaves would just blow out from under the deck.

I use the Micro-Mulch setup for my 36" Exmark Hydro, and in single-blade setup the leaves suck under the deck much better. Not as good as my little Toro 21" Recycler, but then the lil Toro hardly has the power to handle the big chores that my 36 does.

Anyone else experience this problem, or have an idea why my commercial machine won't mulch like my little Toro wonder? If I could match the Toro's mulching capability with the Exmark's power, combined with double blades, the world would be my oyster...

-TGC

Jerrys Lawn Service
09-28-2000, 10:34 PM
TG, We love the two blade system but now that the leaves
are just begining we are having the same problem, too much
air comming out from under the deck, so we switched back to
Gator Magnums. Maybe Eric can solve our problem because I
sure would like to find a way to mulch leaves better. Even
during late spring and summer there wuold be alot of grass flying up from the front of the deck because of the increased air volume!

Good Luck!
jerryslawnservice@home.com

TGCummings
09-28-2000, 11:13 PM
Jerry,

Exactly! Eric, or anyone, have any thoughts on this subject? Or is this just one of the drawbacks of the double-blade system?

-TGC

Eric ELM
09-29-2000, 12:00 AM
When you get to doing all leaves instead of cutting grass and mulching leaves at the same time, try slowing the blades down to about 3/4 throttle. If you run full rpms, it will blow out some, but if the leaves are so thick that you can't mulch them all in one pass, I go over them twice, so a few leaves getting blown out isn't that big of a deal to me. If I miss them the first time, I'll get them the second time for sure. :) The way I figure it, double blades at 1/2 throttle will chop up leaves as good as single blades at full rpm's. At 3/4 throttle, you won't blow out that many leaves. Any of you that use OCDC's or some sort of chute closer, open it up enough to let out some leaves and air, so the deck can pull in more air. Doing this helps eliminate the leaves blowing out from in front and the left side of the deck. By letting some air out, it can suck in more air so it doesn't blow out the bottom. It's just like a Vacumm Cleaner, if the air can't get out, no air can get in.

TGCummings
09-29-2000, 12:21 AM
Thank you, Brother Eric!

I'll set my doubles back up this weekend and give it another go beginning of next week. I'll post again here with the results of these changes... ;)

-TGC

Scotty
09-29-2000, 12:44 AM
Eric, when you use double blades on DC do you remove the 1/2 inch spacer and the 1/8 inch insulator spacer, if you use both spacers do you mount spacers against spindle housing like normal and then both blades sit on top of each other.

Eric ELM
09-29-2000, 09:12 AM
I don't use the 1/2" spacer. Some say that when they remove it that one blade will barely hit a weld on the deck, so turn the blades by hand after mounting them to see if your's does. I do use the fiber washer on top of the other curved washer. Then the 2 blades one on top of the other in a + possition and torque them down like you would a single blade. Just be aware it takes the blades longer to stop with doubles, so don't go sticking your hands underneath the deck until your sure they have stopped turning. Be Safe Guys. :)

Jerrys Lawn Service
09-29-2000, 10:48 PM
Eric, thanks for your help, I hadn't thought of slowing
things down, you know always run everything at full throttle. I'll put my doubles back on and seehow it works.

Good Luck!
jerryslawnservice@home.com

Scotty
09-30-2000, 12:34 AM
Thanks Eric, I'm ready to try double blades and see how it works on our lawns.

Scott

Nathan
10-11-2000, 10:27 PM
This might be a stupid question, But has anyone tried double blades while bagging. Is there an advantage or does it just not work. I know the point is to aid mulching but We usually have no choice other than bagging and if there is anything that can help I would love to hear it.

Eric ELM
10-11-2000, 10:50 PM
When I used to pickup leaves with the JD, I had double blades on it. It chops up the leaves more so you can get more in the box, in my case, in your case, bags. I built a home made lawnvac with a 22 bushel box mounted on the 3 point hitch. It worked great.

LoneStarLawn
10-11-2000, 10:53 PM
luckylawnboy where are you from?

luckylawnboy
10-12-2000, 08:07 PM
To lonestar, I am from Indiana. Anderson is my home town it is about 45 min north of Indianapolis on I69. I am 21 and have been mowing yards since I was about ten. Just here in the past 3 years I have started to operate as my company JC's Lawn Service. Josh Cage. I have about 40 accounts right now. I also Go to Purdue now as a Turf Grass Major. I would like to get into Golf Course feild, but my business back home is getting bigger and bigger. I have 2 guys that work wile I am at school, and I go home every Friday to mow on saterday and perform all the weekly maint. Not sure where to go. I like turf, but weather I stick with commerical Lawn Care, or get into Golf Course superintendent work. is yet to be decided. I just want a stable successfull life ahead.

Josh Cage
JC's Lawn Service