PDA

View Full Version : Help? Toro Z 350 or Walker?

greenbum
06-30-2003, 11:23 PM
Hi,

Ive finally been authorized to replace one of the antiques we have. We have another john deere z, I'm stuck with, which is ok but I hate the side collection system so thats why ive narrowed it down to these two.

I need a mower. Ive narrowed it down to these Toro Z 350 or a walker. Ive gotten demos from bobcat, dixie, deere, husq, and lexmark. All Z's.

Some things to keep in mind. I have almost 40 acres of mowing with alot of obstacles. I work in a cemetary. The narrowest places are about 60". I need to be able to collect because some times the mowing gets away from us. I prefer to mulch. I need speed but the grade sucks, they do alot of digging in here, so I cant go too fast. That's one reason I've eliminated the dixie.

Please feel free to make suggestions outside of my preferences. All are appreciated.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

Greenbum

bluemoon
07-01-2003, 04:58 AM
greenbaum,
I just took over a cemetary, mowed for the first time last week.
I have a 20hp Model T Walker 48"GHS and the 52" side discharge deck. I mowed last week using the 52" and it worked well. I know I have alot to learn, but next time I will mow with the side discharge and the GHS deck. My brother has a Walker just like mine and I will be using it also. I will run one with the 52" side discharge and the other with the 48" GHS. The 52" will do the big areas and down the middle of the headstones. I will use the GHS deck to trim around the headstones with the rear hopper lid open all the time. I like the idea of trimming with the GHS deck because I can use both sides of deck, and maybe it will even out the wear and tear on the hydros. Going around the stones gives those hydros a good workout. I was impressed with the Walker around the stones , I did not have much trimming. I am also thinking of buying a "Country Clipper" just for side discharge mowing. A dealer close by has a 19hp Kaw/52" deck for $4600.00. I am not familiar with the Toro, I have heard it is faster than the Walker and does a good job. I think it is a little longer in lenth compared to the Walker, not for sure though.
I love my Walker, don't have enough time to say all the good things about it. The only bad thing to me (my opinion) is I don't have enough power. There are alot of 20hp / 48" GHS Walkers running around and I don't hear many complaints, but if I do it again I will go with more horsepower. I would recommend the power dump and the 9.5 hopper. The dual tail wheels is a good choice and if you do any hills, you might consider the tail wheel lock.
Do a search on Walkers on this site, there is alot of info. I don't here much about the Toro 350. However I am sure it is a good machine.
Good Luck
Bluemoon

greenbum
07-02-2003, 12:14 AM
Hey blue,

Thanks for the input. What I like about both mowers is that the collection system doesnt hang off the side and become another obstacle to deal with.

I dont like the walker max speed vs the toro max speed. 6.5 mph vs 9 mph.

The toro deck does mulching and collecting that's a plus.

Walker's largest GHS deck is, I think, 42". A little on the small side.

I'm leaning on the toro Z 350 side right now can anyone talk me out of it?

Thanks again.
Greenbum

John Gamba
07-03-2003, 12:20 PM
I Was Looking At the same Mower's, There is someone Who Owns Both A Said the walker is The Best Out Of Those Two. he did say the Toro Was Faster But He said The Control's Were Better On the walker. Walker Also Has Better Engine Choices.
I'll See If i Can Get the thread For You.
John

greenbum
07-03-2003, 09:42 PM
Thanks John,

Speed is a factor for us though. We have almost 50 acres to mow if you include the obstacles. Control is also a factor though. I'd love to see that thread.

Thanks again,
Green bum

kels
07-03-2003, 10:48 PM
the largest GHS deck on a walker is 48"

John Gamba
07-04-2003, 07:25 AM
Greenbum Happy 4TH
The Member to look Up Would Be Landscaper 3, He Is The one With the TWO Walkers,One Toro. He's In S Main.
john

kels
07-04-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by greenbum
I'm leaning on the toro Z 350 side right now can anyone talk me out of it?

Have you demoed the two?

John Gamba
07-04-2003, 02:09 PM
I Found It------- Master z 350 series Outfront ZRT---------
John

greenbum
07-09-2003, 10:51 PM
Wow thanks for the replys,

Yes Ive demoed the z350. I like it, but I wish they had a seat that softened the ride a little bit better. I also dont like that I have to dismount to empty the gramma. Not to mention that it's packed so tight that I have to pull out 1/3 of it by hand. The collection container is also on the small side.

Almost all of my gripes are with the collection basin. I love that it collects through the center though.

I'm demoing the Walker on Monday. I already dislike that the largest mulching deck is 42". Ive got a lot of mowing to do and every inch counts. I'm also a bit annoyed that I need a seperate decks to collect/ (GHS) max size 48".

That equals the max deck on the Toro. I can live with 48.

OH well I'll have more to say in the middle of next week. Any more opinions are appreciated.

GreenBum

Mowingman
07-09-2003, 10:57 PM
Walker has a mulching kit for their 52" deck. I had a demo on one of them a while back, and it did a beautiful job of mulching.:)

SunriseLawn
07-11-2003, 05:21 AM
Blue,
I have been looking into the walker mowers myself and agree that speed must always be a consideration. However, it seems like the walker w/ the 48 GHS deck would be much easier to control around headstones, using both sides of the deck. Just my opinion. Good luck.

greenbum
07-11-2003, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the tip but were not a cemetary. Were a memorial park. That means we have markers, made of precious metals, flush with the ground. There is some room for error. I just need to avoid the markers with the tires. If they get scratched it's big bucks to fix them. Some of them also get lifted, or sink, from the frosts etc. If they are lifted about 2-3 inches and the anti scalp wheels dont do theyre job thats some serious dinero down the drain. So unfortunatly we cant straddle the markers while we mow.

Oh yeah they also have these submergible vases for the visitors to insert these ugly fake flowers and other things in. They stick out of the ground about a foot when theyre installed. Makes for alot of string trimming. Drives me crazy but they pay good money so we leave them be. These can be a real pain in the --- and damaged easily if your not careful. Oh well we get paid by the hour. I'd never take salary for this stuff.

That's one of the reasons this is an in house project now. The old company this was subbed out to had one goal. Get it done and get it done FAST! After all they were only getting like 50G's for the whole season.

I'm sure that's a lot more than you wanted to know.

Peace and thanks.
Green Bum

shopbytch
06-10-2004, 08:47 PM
If you need nice "almost golf course lines" get the walker and sell it later; if not, save your money with anything else.

Green Pastures
06-10-2004, 09:07 PM
Walker is head and shoulders better that the Toro.

I have a 26 hp EFI 48" deck Walker and my best friend has a Toro 350.

My Walker has been in the shop ONE time when I sucked up a big cedar stick and broke the impellor to the GHS system. I ended up disloging the stick and finished the job that day. The Walker was in the shop for one day getting fixed.

His Toro 350 has been in the shop at least a dozen times for everything from the deck gearbox to the belts and pullies to the engine control system to the hydros leaking.........

He HATES that Toro and I don't blame him.

Avery
06-10-2004, 09:41 PM
I have owned both. Currently have the Toro. There were some problems with older versions of the 355. They have been fixed. There is no compairson between the two. What ever Walker will do the 355 will do better and faster. Most every LCO in my area that have Walkers are slowly but surely replacing them. Too much down time and too SLOW.