PDA

View Full Version : Aeration

ScaryCary
09-27-2000, 07:41 PM
I need a good pull behind core aerator, I saw one awhile back that was a big cylinder that I think you filled with water if you needed more weight. Anyone know what the name of this is? Thank You Cary

lbmd1
09-27-2000, 08:02 PM
Scarycary,
I just purchased a tow behind core aerator from GPC Products, out of Charlotte. Their web site is:
http://www.7315.com I bought the 36" true core plugger and just got it in 3 days ago. Am very impressed with the quality and workmanship, heavier duty than I thought it would be. It was $495 for the 36" with the heavy duty wheel transport kit. Am in the process of rigging up a mount to my Z rider to tow it. If you need any more info, email me at LBMD1@yahoo.com

Mike

lawrence stone
09-27-2000, 08:15 PM
Looks like a good design Mike.

Now you need to add a tine rake so you can dethatch, mow, and aerate at the same time.

Let us know how it works and the cost of replacement tines.

ant
09-27-2000, 09:30 PM
cary: last yr. i picked up a 48" tow behind/3 pt. hitch bannerman from lyons&lyons out of md. it looks like a classen/lesco.
also a company out of pa. sells them (mill creek)
in a few weeks i am going to retrofit it on a old 61"hydro scag (removing the deck)installing it on the front.
anthony

bladecutter
09-28-2000, 02:40 PM
Check out Ryans Tow behind. I just bought one and they work great! The problem with lesco and drum style units is noticed when making turns, they can tear up sod! The Ryan has independant 75 lb wheels that rotate at different rates of speed when turning.

River Hill
09-30-2000, 12:35 AM
I have not heard of any complaints with anyone using the pull behind drum style aerators tearing up sod? Anyone who uses these do you experience these problems? Eric, I know you have the Classen, do you have problems when making turns?

Eric ELM
09-30-2000, 12:49 AM
I have mine on my 3 point hitch, so I raise it when I turn. I have heard of pulling this same one with the tongue hitch and it didn't tear up things unless you tried to turn real sharp. It has a split axle on it, each side turns separate. I guess I will have to try it out so I can give you a better report on it. It comes with both hitches.

River Hill
09-30-2000, 01:08 AM
Does the Classen have a Split Axel? If it does it should do fine on turns.

Eric ELM
09-30-2000, 09:59 AM
Andy, can you put in your input on the turning capability of the Classen/Lesco aerator? Andy is the one that told me about this aerator last summer. Yes, the axle has a split so one side does turn separate from the other side. Andy pulls his with his Chopper. I hope he responds to this post so he can tell you how sharp you can turn it.

John DiMartino
09-30-2000, 10:22 AM
My ryan 6ft aerator has 12 wheels with spoons and every one of them turn independently of the others.If any of them are hooked to each other they have to scuff in the turns,Ive never seen one that had mutiple units hooked together.It sounds like a cheaper way to build them,but it should be OK as long as its eased thru turns or on a 3 point hitch.

John DiMartino
09-30-2000, 10:25 AM
I just looked at the pics ,its beefy looking,but what do you do when the tines are gone?It would have to be a pain to weld all new ones on.

[Edited by John DiMartino on 09-30-2000 at 01:27 PM]

ScaryCary
09-30-2000, 02:15 PM
WOW! I think I am more confused than ever. LOL! After the aeration, whats the general opinion on overseeding and top dressing? The grass is all fescue and everyone has been saying to overseed with fescue to freshen it up, and to topdress with Steer manure at the rate of 1 yd per 300 sq ft. Whats everyone think? p.s. I live in zone 8, Las Vegas!
Hot-Hot-Hot! Thank you Cary

Barkleymut
09-30-2000, 09:09 PM
Sorry it took me so long to respond but I have been so busy using the aforementioned aerator on top of mowing I have had little time to surf the web. You can turn fairly sharply with the Claussen pull behind. For example many of my customers have Crepe Myrtles with 2 1/2 feet diameter of a mulch circle around them. I can pull the aerator around them with very little to no tearing of the turf. I have never had a customer complain about the job it has done. Anyways when you are aerating a yard you are suppossed to be tearing it up! LOL.

jaclawn
10-02-2000, 08:25 AM
I have the Lesco/Classen, and pull it with a garden tractor with the drawbar.

I cut the tounge 1' shorter to save trailer space, so my turning radius is even tighter. I have only had problems with tearing wher there was grub damage. The sod is soo loose there anyway.

I did have some damage when trying to back up, and jacknife the unit to get out of a tight area.

awm
10-02-2000, 11:31 PM
Sorry fellas spelling not my thing. I took a cheap
tine aereater and twisted the tines so that each is
like a little sharp shooter. Then for enough weight
I soak 4 concrete blocks over night. Its cheap but
but so far my customers have been very pleased at
the job it does. So if moneys a problem give it a try
do the little stuff right and the big stuff takes
care of its self. By the way hold the blocks on
with quick clamps or the like.