PDA

View Full Version : Bad Gas

powerreel
09-27-2000, 07:00 PM
I really am starting to wonder about our gas supply.I have an EB480 from 1996,anyway it's got the funky spark arrestor- complete with silly blowholes in the muffler. I love my machine but those "emmisions" parts mean ripping the blower apart and cleaning them every so often- no big deal. Ever since the gas crunch started i have had to rip the thing down 2x- this month alone! Seems like the oil doesn't want to mix clean and burn, I'm no dummy i know how to mix 2 cycle oil. I use pennsoil marine in everything for years now everything is clogging! Is anyone else getting this? Is it a government plot to rid the US of all 2cycle equipt?

lawrence stone
09-27-2000, 07:08 PM
You are using the wrong oil of air cooled engines.

Try Amsoil 100 to 1 full syn. and your two cycle stuff will be trouble free and not as stinky.

Petro based oil is not good stuff.

Richard Martin
09-27-2000, 07:38 PM
I wrote a lenghtly reply recently on the hazards of using TCW oils (Penzoil marine is TWC) in air cooled engines. You can read it here -->> http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954

Jusmowin
09-27-2000, 10:52 PM
Ive always used ECHO 5 gallon mix or stihl 5 gallon mix , and after 5 years of using it ive had very few problems with my 2 cycle equipment

Jim Buessing
09-28-2000, 05:26 AM
Always use the manufacturer recommended 2 cycle mix. These days new engines and emissions systems are coming out from all of the manufacturers of 2 cycle products. Some engines will work fine, others will fail. If you happen to be a commercial user and one fails you need to have all of your bases covered especially if it fails out of warranty. That way the manufacturer and the dealer have someplace to go and not blame you for using th ewrong type of oil mix! Just a suggestion!

Charles
09-28-2000, 06:56 PM
Update on the bad gas I was using. Its so hard to believe I spent most of the summer using bad gas at a local popular gas station. I don't know at what point my mower started running rough(cutting of then on and low on horse power). Now that i have switch stations. It has made a world of difference in my lazer and other equipment. No cutoffs. More power. I hope it didnt damage anything. I am thinking about calling the manager at that station and letting him or her know that there is a problem. I mean this is a chain store that does alot of business. There is either water in their tanks. Or they are using a lower octane and cheating people. Its like night and day in the way the equipment runs. I even went to a new ammco station and have had the same great result. My mower and blower are fairly new.

Charles
09-28-2000, 08:01 PM
Well, I just called the manager of the station. Told her the problem i was having. She just said "thank you". Not even wanting to know my name. Or they would look into it and get back to me. What a flunky. I guess i will have to go higher than her to get results. She may know that its just cheap watered down gas. Because she didnt seem suprised.

powerreel
09-28-2000, 08:14 PM
Ever fill up a 5 gal can and the pump reads 6 gals?

jaclawn
09-29-2000, 06:46 AM
I has some bad gas once. It was after eating hard boiled eggs.

Jim Buessing
09-29-2000, 11:40 PM
The best way to stay away from bad gas is to stay with name brand large fuel stations. Shell , Exxon etc. These companies keep the best fuel for their ind. dealers. Now the cheapper stations, (really low great prices) buy what is called blended fuels. This is the first 1000 gallons of fuel that come out of the pipe. This fuel is cheaper because it picks up mixes of whatever went through the pipe before it. so it gets a little mix of say diesel, MTBE non MTBE, alcohol and water?

pottstim
09-30-2000, 12:08 AM
I have, Powerreel..only it read 6.6 gallons!!! Big discrepency, huh? I never got gas there again..i should have reported it to the board of weights and measures, but that place is no longer in business anymore.

Tim

powerreel
09-30-2000, 08:09 PM
Wrong! It is called "outboard" oil for a reason. If you look at the jug of oil you will see a few letters like TCW followed by a number. The TCW stands for Two Cycle Water cooled. The number stands for the generation of modifications/additives and presently most are 3. TCW oils are designed to be run in engines with operating temperatures considerably lower than that of air cooled engines. If you take 2 brand new Shindaiwa T-230 trimmers (or any air cooled 2 cycle engine for that matter) and use TCW oil in one and oil designed for use in air cooled engines in the other after a year of use the difference is apparent on a teardown. The engine that has been using air cooled oil will have less piston scuffing, less rod and main bearing wear and will generally be in better condition. 2 cycle oils are getting so specific now that Shindaiwa will double their warranty if you use their oil. If i shouldn't use TCW what label do i need?

Eric ELM
09-30-2000, 08:28 PM
Powerreel, it seems like you answered your question in your above post on why you shouldn't use marine oil in your trimmers. You said:"The engine that has been using air cooled oil will have less piston scuffing, less rod and main bearing wear and will generally be in better condition. 2 cycle oils are getting so specific now that Shindaiwa will double their warranty if you use their oil."

I feel you should use an oil designed for air cooled 2 cycle engines. I use the Shindaiwa oil and have for years without engine problems. It may be more expensive, but oil is deductable at tax time. I feel that cutting corners on oil is not a good thing to do. The equipment is to expensive to use the cheapest oil in and down time isn't fun.

Richard Martin
10-01-2000, 04:59 AM
Eric, Powerreel's "answer to his own question" is not "in fact" his answer. It is a direct copy of a reply I wrote before. Scroll up to the top of the page and click on the link leading to the thread I referenced to in my answer. Proper credit should be given when it is due. Plagerism is ugly.

Eric ELM
10-01-2000, 10:11 AM
Sorry about that. He didn't say it was a quote from your post. Hey everyone, Richard wrote that, not Powerreel. :)

powerreel
10-01-2000, 03:05 PM
plagerism was not what i was trying to do- I'm sorry if you took it that way. when you answered my post you gave me a link which was an open ended answer, don't use what you are using but you gave no specs as to what label to use and I thought I would paste your reply to hash up the post again. sorry if I offended you- I'll just ask my dealer since it appears I am in the middle of a bunch of people brimming for the spotlight, thanks for nothing!

mdb landscaping
10-01-2000, 03:56 PM
my dad owns two mobil stations and it has been proven that gas at no name stations is worse than name brand statios like mobil and exxon. if you gas up at cheap stations, they dont put in the proper additives that other stations do. if you buy mid grade or high test your equipment will work much better. if any water at all gets into your tank too, then you wont be able to even drive out of the station. i recommend to eat the bullet and pay for mid grade at name brand stations

Eric ELM
10-01-2000, 04:01 PM
I should have looked deeper into this before I replied. I am the one that should take the blame for this. Please just calm down and look for more replies on this subject.

I still stand by my response on an above statement I made before I made the mistake, which is this.
I feel you should use an oil designed for air cooled 2 cycle engines. I use the Shindaiwa oil and have for years without engine problems. It may be more expensive, but oil is deductable at tax time. I feel that cutting corners on oil is not a good thing to do. The equipment is to expensive to use the cheapest oil in and down time isn't fun.

The only oil I am now considering to replace what I now use is the Amsoil. When I run out of the last case of Shindaiwa oil, I just might order some Amsoil for 2 cycle. It sounds like the other guys are getting good results and that is what I like to hear.

Charles
10-01-2000, 04:26 PM
Since I called the manager of that station. They dropped the price of their gas 10 cents more. Their regular unleaded is now priced at $ 1.21 per gallon. Compared to the rest of the stations at 1.35 to 1.39. Maybe they are now trying to unload that bad gas as fast as possible. I wouldn't buy it if it was free lol. The station was pact though