PDA

View Full Version : Have your heard of this chemical??

KenH
07-01-2003, 02:22 PM
A customer of mine has this nasty weed coming out of his rather large weeping white spruce. Right now, the weed is flowering white (flowers about 4" round, like a Queens Anne Lace, weed is about 3'tall) ....we have sent a sample to the extension to help identify as I have never seen anything like it...books or anything. The weed spreads by stolons, and is very invasive....roundup somewhat slows it down.

A friend of mine told me about a chemical he uses to control weeds at his tree farm. He says it works great, and wont harm the spruce, but I forgot the name. the chemical began with the letter "P" (not Preen), and it was the name of the chemical, not a trade name. Any guesses??? I will know when I hear it.
Thanks

Piedmont Lawn
07-01-2003, 02:29 PM
Sounds like wild carrots, just my guess. Can you get a pic.
Sorry don't know about the chem.

Later
Kelly

Grassmechanic
07-01-2003, 04:15 PM
could it be Princep

KenH
07-01-2003, 04:22 PM
Ding ding ding......we have a winner!!! Thanks....Do you know anything about it??

Grassmechanic
07-01-2003, 04:28 PM
Princep = simazine

Grassmechanic
07-01-2003, 04:34 PM
Princep (simazine) is a pre-emergent for broadleaf and grassy weeds. Mostly used it on the farm. Worked pretty good. I believe it has been linked to groundwater contamination and the govt. was looking to pull it from the market, but I could be wrong.

Mike

KenH
07-01-2003, 05:10 PM
Thanks...I was reading it was for annual weeds...not sure if it would work in this case. I have to find out what this weed is first though

DaveHLLC
07-02-2003, 07:07 AM
You may want to look into Fusilade or stinger. I believe fusilade can be put on spruce trees in the fall with out damage. Stinger is the strongest and can be put on many evergreens. Very expensive and I'm not sure what time of year is the best.