PDA

View Full Version : What ZTR do you recommend ??

Whiteagle3
07-01-2003, 06:11 PM
I have 2 1/2 acres that needs maintaining, and are on the market for a new riding mower. I've check out different makes, and am interested in a SCAG Tiger Cub 25hp/61" deck. The only thing is, the price is pretty steep. ($7500)

I'd like your input to help me decide which is the best model to purchase. (SCAG, FERRIS, JOHN DEERE, etc.) This only for home owner use, but we believe we want to invest in something that will last us for 10 years down the road.

Thank you in advance for your help.

John White

JohnatAllBrite
07-15-2003, 08:36 PM
I have used a Grasshopper 61inch diesel since 1986 with a vac attachment. Got 10 years out of the 1986 model using it commercially.... Have 7 years on my 96 model now, even less wear & more technology but they are pricey about 13k
A good option would be to look for something slightly used by someone going out of business (usually Nov.dec.jan.feb) is a great time to look for used stuff. Good luck

hc841
07-16-2003, 09:45 PM
SCAG, FERRIS, GRASSHOPPER, ARE ALL GOOD MOWERS. A GOOD WAY TO FIND A GOOD MOWER IS TO TAKE NOTICE WHAT A MAJORITY OF THE LANDSCAPERS HAVE ON THEIR TRAILORS IN YOUR AREA. I BET IT'S NOT JOHN DEERE.,,,

Chief
07-20-2003, 08:34 PM
What kind of problems/issues do John Deeres have? I was considering eventually a 757 or 768. The dealers in my area could not keep the 757's on the lot and had waiting lists to get them. I have checked one out and tested it and was impressed with how well built they are. The price is a bit touchy to get past.

turfmower
07-23-2003, 10:41 PM
Toro's and Exmarks are what most people have here. I have a toro. I would never buy a scag again. They do not stand behind their equipment. I had scag turfrunner multiple gear box fails before they put shear bolt in design, Cracked fame, weekly calls to distributer and factor, poor design, I did get the owner of scag on phone one day told me to F my self. 8600 dollar machine sits dead in my shop with 350 hours on it.

Pecker
08-23-2003, 10:34 PM
Bought my JD 757 last year and am VERY impressed with it! Built like a tank. Gives a wonderful cut. 25hp Kawi V-twin, very smooth, starts easily, and is real powerful (BTW, I'm partial to Kawasaki). Yep its a little pricey, but don't be sittin in yer garage after you spent thousands on a mower you didn't really want wishin you'd gotten the real thing.
But realistically, you should buy the mower which is backed by the best service department and can keep you running. You can't go wrong with Exmark either. Exmark is my second choice.
John Deere is my favorite, and it happens that I have 4 JD dealers within 30 minutes, and the one closest, well. . ., I couldn't ask for better service. If you are thinking about a Deere, do it.

Planet Landscaping
08-24-2003, 07:23 AM
Exmark Lazer = proven product

craigs lawncare
08-28-2003, 07:00 PM
What about the Gravely line of ZTR's? :)
Craig

John Gamba
08-28-2003, 09:29 PM
Any of these.

TRAVCO
08-30-2003, 12:33 AM
Go with EXMARK they are awesome mowers and there customer service is the best in the business.

craigs lawncare
08-30-2003, 01:24 PM
Travco,

From the people I have talked to, the service at our local Gravely dealership is good. My closest EXMARK dealer is about 35 + miles from my home. I have been in their store three or four times, but I would not say they are head and shoulders above the rest of the dealerships in my general area when it comes to service. Travco, are you telling me that service offered with the EXMARK line is head and shoulders above Gravely, Scag and John Deer, for example? If so, why?
If you are saying that a dealer is going to have better service just because they offer EXMARK, than in my opinion you have been mis-led. There is a lot to be said with the type of owner and who he has working for him and servicing the equipment he sells when it comes to great service. You are fortunate to have a dealer in your are that offers great service.

Jammer,

How long have EXMARKS been on the market?

Guys, I initially asked the question because, from the lawns I have observed in my area, the Gravely 260Z's do the best job at striping and overall appearance of the finished lawn. Of course this is my opinion. EXMARKS mow one of the most coveted lawns with the most potential in my area and I am not that impressed with the way EXMARKS mow from the way the lawn looked in the past by other mowers. Of course, like the theory that one dealer will have better service just because they sell a particular name is garbage, I also realize a lot has to do with who is sitting on the tractor mowing the lawn as well.

I don't want to sound like I am turning this into the Chevy, Ford or Dodge debate of lawn care, but before I spend $8000+ on a new machine I want to gather as many opinions as I can.
Craig

finmower
08-30-2003, 01:33 PM
There is one lawn mowed by Grasshopper 721D2 52 in deck,
without no sriping kit. Works fine in our conditions.

craigs lawncare
08-30-2003, 01:42 PM
Finmower,

Looks very good. You know I really never gave Grass Hopper much thought.:D I will have to investigate.
Craig

idugaholez
09-26-2003, 03:40 PM
I have never tried a ztr, but am starting to look at them for next year. Im thinking of getting one with a 52" cut. Ive been paying attention to what the guys around here have, and ya see mainly scag, exmark, and toro. I stopped by my toro dealer, who will bend over back wards to help ya, and looked at the ztrs. He has a 100 series w/ 23hp kawi, 52" cut. sticker price is $9000.00. he said with contractor discount and being end of the year, he'd let it go for $6000.00. Is this a good price for the toro, or would i be making a mistake buying one. I have a toro 1744, and have beat the sh*t out of it. I guess it was not made for mowing commercially, and i dont want to make the same mistake..

doug

olderthandirt
10-17-2003, 12:38 AM
Kubota ZD28 or 21 the 21 is 9k at dealer new 2 yr warrenty diesel. Last all your life. Mac

NCSERVICE
10-19-2003, 02:29 AM
I would shy away from scag, they are built like a tank, but that is where they are weak.

Planet Landscaping
10-19-2003, 06:25 AM
EXMARK.Just my professional opinion,Take it or leave it. How long has Exmark been making mowers? Long enough to be #1.:angel:

floridalawncare
11-05-2003, 02:46 PM
wow turfmower! i can't blame you. i've ran two scags and have been absoloute best i've owned. but if it happened to me, i'd do the same thing. i would turn the dealer in to scag though. the phone call had to be rigged cause scag is not owned by one person anyway. scag is a corperation of board members and several other companies. sounds like the dealer ripped you off. sorry to hear this. grasshopper makes a good machine too. for about 6400$ you can get a 20hp kohler on a 52" grasshopper,(220/52). dixie chopper would be your best bet. it's simplicity and lack of electronic do-dads make it a good choice for serious homeowners. they have models available for under 6000$

floridalawncare
11-06-2003, 04:47 PM
i know i just posted, but i think people outh to give the hoppers more thought. one of my machines is a 225/52 grasshopper. tried scag, yazoo keez, dixie, and many others. the hopper stripes the best by far. esp. the 52" duramax deck. if i had a digital camera i'd display some of my cuts with the machine. you'd swear i was eric elm's son or something. i did go and see a tiger cub too. i was very impressed. it has the same 10cc hydro pumps used on the flatlander, exmark, the 220 and 218 grasshopper, and is a good unit. the advantage deck is a great compliment to this already good machine.

KINGDOME
11-11-2003, 06:49 AM
there are some good ones out there but I use a toro z master 200 good company and a great product I have two mowers going doing 80 acres and we use all toro products very dependable

chief5139
11-13-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Whiteagle3
I have 2 1/2 acres that needs maintaining, and are on the market for a new riding mower. I've check out different makes, and am interested in a SCAG Tiger Cub 25hp/61" deck. The only thing is, the price is pretty steep. ($7500)

I'd like your input to help me decide which is the best model to purchase. (SCAG, FERRIS, JOHN DEERE, etc.) This only for home owner use, but we believe we want to invest in something that will last us for 10 years down the road.

Thank you in advance for your help.

John White

The best thing for you would be the snapper fastcut. in a 50" deck with a 20hp briggs and stratton VANGUARD engine. it list for 4,299.99 it is the best mower on the market in this price and even in the cub cadet and husqvarna and not as strong (they have had a lot of defects)
hope i helped.

Brad

65hoss
11-13-2003, 03:33 PM
Stay away from the snappers. Very few professionals consider a Briggs motor worth it.

Exmark mowers are top notch. Cut quality is unbelievable and service is second to none. You can always reach eXmark from this site. They have revolutionized the ZTR market and are the leaders. Some lead, some follow.

chief5139
11-14-2003, 02:35 PM
the snapper is powerd by the briggs vanguard engine wich is a commercial engine (one of the strongest) there just not out there as much as a kaw or kohler i promise. in my shop in our 33 year history we have only had to break in to one vangaurd and it was because a woman run it low of oil. and any snapper dealer will help you out if you are in trouble with your mower just the fact usally nothing goes wrong and customers don't need snappers help just a belt or a blade and there off again (the next comment I am about to make is all in fun i don't mean any thing mean just some friendly banter so please don't be mad.) Now on the other hand exmarks nmight need that 24 hour help line cause something is always going wrong. J/K I will repeat that comment was all in fun. and another thing i've noticed is that exmark parts are high priced a jackshaft and just a jackshaft is $80.00 and i have replaced many 3 at a time they just don't seem as strong correct me if i'm wrong. but i have changed a lot of jackshafts on them.

craigs lawncare
11-15-2003, 01:22 PM
Chief,

The Snapper looks like a pretty nice machine for $4300. :)
Just curious... 65Hoss says go with Ex-Mark. What does Ex-Mark sell in that range?
Craig

chief5139
11-17-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by craigs lawncare
Chief,

The Snapper looks like a pretty nice machine for $4300. :)
Just curious... 65Hoss says go with Ex-Mark. What does Ex-Mark sell in that range?
Craig

hey bud,

I did a little caling around the comparison is the Exmark Turf Tracer model tt5220kcc pistol grip 52" 20 hp kohler and your looking at about 5899.99 as you can see there is a little difference in the price. but i would drive them both. its your decision i would look for the local dealers around you see who's closer. and who can give you the best service and if any one tells you different snapper has a 24 hours service line and will get you parts quick but not to often will you have to replace them except the usual stuff and make sure to check out the mandrel assembly. snapper made it so you can rebuild them on the mower with just standard size tools. a snapper innovation.

UNISCAPER
11-17-2003, 06:22 PM
We were in a position where we had to get a new 48" Hydro, and, sitting on a dealers floor was a new Snapper with a 14HP Kashwacki. The engine blew 3 months after we got it, and Kashwacki of course did not honor their warrantee. I currently have that engine as a boat anchor, where all such Kashwacki brands belong....We put a 14HP Kohler on...That mower has had nothing more than PM's since 1997 and it is just like the Energizer, it keeps going and goiing and going. Snapper is not as well marketed as the big 3 or 4, but well worth the thought and purchase.

chief5139
11-17-2003, 06:36 PM
my thoughts exacely

JandRLandscape
12-30-2003, 09:06 PM
I'm new here but have a few friends who have large lanscape companies. One use Walker & Scag, the other uses Exmark.
The one with the scag had to have it replaced after 200 hrs, the dealer is one of the best in the area and the distributor took it back after it was back at the shop over 6 times.

The one with the Exmarks loves his but as someone mentioned earlier it doesn't give you the nicest strip. I currently own a 48" bobcat walkbehind and always have an awesome strip no matter what direction I cut.
I'm a little curious why sooo many guys with the Exmarks buy the striping kit.... hmmm maybe cuz it needs it.
Personally I would never buy a Scag, I'm currently looking at Hustler, DixieChopper and now the Grasshopper.

UNISCAPER
12-30-2003, 10:34 PM
If you are into tight spaces, and need the radius of a ZTR, Exmark Lazer rules in that market.

However, if a radius is not your issue, there is only one brand I would consider...Toro Groundsmaster. Nothing will out produce, out run or out last one of these machines. You will pay consderably more however.

dcondon
12-30-2003, 11:05 PM
Don't forget the "TANK"...one of the best!!! :)

Kady Landscape
01-14-2004, 12:36 PM
I would go with the Turf tiger rather than the Tiger cub with the 60" deck. I have a 52" STC, which is a good set up. But the biger deck will put alot of srain on the smaller frame.