PDA

View Full Version : Lawn turning yellow/brown - what to use?

jkr1
07-02-2003, 03:14 PM
I live in southern Ohio. My lawn is now starting to feel the effects of heat and not much rain the last couple weeks - turning pale green/slightly yellowish. What can I do? (besides watering the lawn, which is a problem since I have slightly over an acre) Would putting some type of fertilizer, like 15-0-0 be OK to do in the heat of July?

kickin sum grass
07-02-2003, 03:40 PM
if you put down any make sure it is at least 50%scu. Post a pic of the lawn and a close up of some blades of grass. You could have a disease so lets rule this one out. Is it turning all over or in patches. It is getting very dry here so I feel your pain.

Rtom45
07-02-2003, 03:45 PM
It has been my experience, that if your turf is drying out from lack of rain, there is no substitute for water. We have been irrigating our baseball game field for a week now, we will start watering our softball field and our recreational fields tomorrow. Our soil in the Erie area has a large percentage of clay.

KirbysLawn
07-02-2003, 10:06 PM
Depends on why it's turning yellow.

Since we have had 60"+ " of rain I have had to apply an additional fert app, I would look at a 18-2-18 25% bio applied at 1/2 rate, has worked great for me.

ChickensDoo
07-05-2003, 12:35 PM
If the lawn looks "hungry", an application of an organic-based fertilizer would feed the turf with little risk of burn or promoting disease spread. Poultry litter based fertilizers actually suppress turf diseases.....