PDA

View Full Version : Yellow page ad is cranking

Gr grass n Hi tides
07-02-2003, 07:56 PM
My phone is starting to ring like a madman from the yellow page ad:blob3:

I've read threads in the past saying a yellow page ad is not a productive way to advertise, so I wanted to post this to offer some positive feedback to those considering advertising this way. Of course, I realize it may depend on everyone's partiular market/area.

One yearly mow contract and my ad has paid for itself. Everything else is gravy.

My telephone answering machine asks the caller "to specify what type of service you are interested in.....and the location of your property", which works great. Most folks do leave a detailed message so before I return the call I have a good idea if it's desireable or not.

mrbenfer
07-02-2003, 08:15 PM
Thats great.... I'm finding that keeping my name in the paper pays for itself over and over again.

noclevername
07-02-2003, 08:33 PM
Unfortunately in our area it's very competitive, there's about 18-20 pages of landscapers in our Yellow Pages so you tend to get a lot of people just shopping for price and a business card size ad is about $ 350.00 per month (that's only one color) and we would have to put our ad in three different books to cover our area, you also have to contend with the bigger companies that have full page multi-color ads.
We get almost all of our work from references through existing customers/clients.
I'm glad it seems to work for you though!

A1 Lawn@Landscapes
07-02-2003, 09:40 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gr grass n Hi tides
[B]My phone is starting to ring like a madman from the yellow page ad

Care to post the ad ? Would like to see the layout and wording

Gr grass n Hi tides
07-02-2003, 11:59 PM
I'll have to type it in here for you because I don't have a scanner that works. The field we see our posts in as we type them, I'm not sure if I can center it here in order for it to appear centered in the thread, so I'll start the text at the left margin & attempt to center it there. We'll see how it flies.

Because the yellow page advertising deadline arrived quickly, I actually had to place my order before I had all of my equipment purchased so it is very simple. This ad is 5 in. wide and 2 in. tall. Here is the wording/layout:

MY COMPANY NAME IS AT THE TOP IN ALL CAPS ON FIRST LINE
Commercial & Residential Services
Mowing * Edging * Seeding * Mulching
Fertilization * Aeration * Ornamentals
Turf Maintenance Programs

Owner Operated * Free Estimates
Satisfaction Guaranteed

Licensed (XXX) XXX-XXXX Insured

Gr grass n Hi tides
07-03-2003, 12:01 AM
Well, I can't get text to center in the viewable area here for threads, but all of the text is center justified under the company name.

tiedeman
07-04-2003, 07:53 PM
I too have had great results from the yellow pages ad...well without a doubt do it again next year

Gr grass n Hi tides
07-04-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by tiedeman
I too have had great results from the yellow pages ad...well without a doubt do it again next year

Good deal! I really like that the ad is out there working for me & I don't have to do any leg work such as door hangers - although they are very effective, I've had good success with them.

lawnman_scott
07-05-2003, 01:14 AM
My 2x3 inch yellow page ad costs me about $450 a month, but its well worth it. I got alot of customers from flyers when i first started out, but at this time the yellow pages are the way to go for me. Get alot more commercial accounts this way also.

LawnsRUsInc.
07-11-2003, 09:26 PM
I was wondering how many callse you guys get off of these ads and what size? week/month
And if any of you do advertising on the internet yellow pages?

Thanks Jason

Meier
07-13-2003, 12:39 PM
I've got a one third page full color yellow pages ad coming out in September. I expect it to really fill my schedule. I started in January and right now I have only 23 residential accounts.

My question is this: What is the ratio of residential bids to commercial bids on the yellow pages advertising?

Thanks,
DFW, TX

Gr grass n Hi tides
07-14-2003, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Meier
My question is this: What is the ratio of residential bids to commercial bids on the yellow pages advertising?

Thanks,
DFW, TX

Zero commercials this year from the phone book. Keep in mind though that this is my first year with an ad and the phone didn't publish/circulate until May. We'll see what happens this coming winter/spring 2004.

Meier
07-14-2003, 11:18 AM
++++Zero commercials this year from the phone book++++

Cool. I'm focusing on residential, but I didn't have them put "residential only" in the ad because, right now, I need everything I can get. I just know how many calls to expect, really. I'm advertising in a independent telephone directory as opposed to Verizon's book. I get a 1/3 page ad for $1,800/yr with full color. They pring and deliver 160,000 books.

Next question: What percentage of the residential bids do you win? Do you find there are a lot people who are just curious or just kicking tires or taking bids?

(The reason I am focused on the residential sector as opposed to commercial is because I dislike the idea of winning business only because I'm the low bidder.)

Gr grass n Hi tides
07-14-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Meier
Next question: What percentage of the residential bids do you win? Do you find there are a lot people who are just curious or just kicking tires or taking bids?

(The reason I am focused on the residential sector as opposed to commercial is because I dislike the idea of winning business only because I'm the low bidder.)

I booked a yearly fert program and mulch job just yesterday. He doesn't want mowing. I also booked several mowing jobs during this last "batch" of calls, had a few not return my return calls (window shopping I guess), and a couple that didn't like my bids. The people that I go meet face to face - I book almost all of those although I've got somewhat limited experience & exposure to this (my numbers are not big). I played phone tag with a couple of folks so I wound up looking at their properties when they were not home & when I gave my price by phone they passed. That's okay though, I'm still pleased with the results. I'm not paying attention to those that don't want to pay my price.

I can already see from this small cross section that there are more window shoppers using the phone book than with door hangers. Don't know why that is:confused:

jeff_0
07-14-2003, 09:44 PM
i'm the same way.. i've gotten two many calls.. can't take anymore work.. i've talked to 2 other contractors that i know. one my girls uncle and the other a guy i met.. both said the same thing.. that they are getting 2 many calls and can't take any more.. my credit card ad cust $150 where i live..

Lawn Lizards
07-21-2003, 02:17 PM
We finally got into the yellow pages in June of 2002 with a decent sized ad (about 2.5" by 3") It costed us $180.00/month, but the first month it was out (July), we picked up 27 new accounts. Yes it works. We kept the big ad in there for a year and just recently, upon renewal, we downsized to a bold listing. Didn't need the big ad anymore. Picked up a ton of business, ran it for a year and now we are saving $160.00/month. Don't need it anymore.

Gr grass n Hi tides
07-21-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Lawn Lizards
We finally got into the yellow pages in June of 2002 with a decent sized ad (about 2.5" by 3") It costed us $180.00/month, but the first month it was out (July), we picked up 27 new accounts. Yes it works. We kept the big ad in there for a year and just recently, upon renewal, we downsized to a bold listing. Didn't need the big ad anymore. Picked up a ton of business, ran it for a year and now we are saving $160.00/month. Don't need it anymore.

That's cool.....where I want to be in the near future. Just like you said, build up your base & then let word of mouth take over.

Gr grass n Hi tides
08-29-2003, 06:37 PM
For anyone that's interested - calls on the ad slowed up for a few weeks but the phone is starting to ring again. I've got some estimates to do this evening.

I think this goes to show that anyone thinking it might be too late in the year to land accounts, there is business out there to be had.

I'm thinking of doing a round of door hangers pushing aeration/seeding & see what fruit that will bring. Great time to get that out there.

GLAN
08-29-2003, 07:38 PM
I have a reader ad in the Verizon yellow pages

I also advertize in the localized Yellow Books.

That is realy about it.

I don't want the Pennysaver mentality. All you get from there is shopping price. It did serve it's purpose early in business, no longer.

I cater to a select clientel. Those that call for services from the Yellow Book have only a Professional Company in mind. They can't be bothered with the others. That is my target.

Gr grass n Hi tides
08-29-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by GLAN
I don't want the Pennysaver mentality. All you get from there is shopping price. It did serve it's purpose early in business, no longer.

I cater to a select clientel. Those that call for services from the Yellow Book have only a Professional Company in mind. They can't be bothered with the others. That is my target.

Yup. I just walked back in the house & landed two accounts, both $40 weeklys that are maybe 30 min. work. The first one, she's said she's going to have her sister call me too. We'll see. The other lady said she's interested in irrigation later on. We'll see if her checkbook is a big as her dreams but.......I'm a happy camper. Nice accounts.