PDA

View Full Version : Building a Spray rig

Shady Brook
07-02-2003, 08:03 PM
I know this has been discussed before, but was hopeing for some opinions.

My main concern is pump size, pressure and volume in relation to different types of applictions. I would like a rig that would be able to apply all types of chemicals, with weed control and fertilizer being most often used. I hope to build it for my Tiger cub, with I am thinking 5 nozzels.

I was thinking of the XR T-jets as an all around nozzel. What is the minimum pump size I should get. Would it make sense to buy a spray rig from Tractor supply and change out some essential parts, or am I better off starting from Ground Zero. I don't have a great number of properties, but want something that will handle a lot of customers for the future.

Any thoughts, ideas on parts, options that I should consider would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Jay

LAWNGODFATHER
07-07-2003, 05:55 PM
Hows this for an idea?

NCSULandscaper
07-07-2003, 10:24 PM
I just finished bulding a spray rig for my ZTR that looks almost like LGF's. Ill post some pics of it tomorrow.

Shady Brook
07-07-2003, 11:28 PM
LG

It looks awsome to me, but I can not tell much about the components from the picture. Can you offer any guidence concerning some of the questions I had?

NCSU, thanks I will look forward to them.

Jay

Weedburner
07-07-2003, 11:54 PM
I have several sprayers, I built 2 and bought 2 factory complete and made modifications. I think a 3 gpm 12 volt pump would work quite nicely for what you want to do. Figure out how much water you want to put on and how fast you plan to drive and size the pump and spray tips accordingly. In large open areas I apply about 15 gallon of water per acre. In small lawns about 22 will work fine. (approx. .5 gallon per 1000 sq. ft.) In lawns don't count on much over 3 to 3.5 mph. Get a pump with a demand switch built in. That way if you shut the pump stream off the pump will buld pressure and shut off. Keep the pressure down to avoid drift. I use 30psi on my shielded sprayer and 20 or so on the open boom type. I couldn't find a sprayer to buy with the features I wanted. Buying one from TSC and making modifications will save some work.

LAWNGODFATHER
07-08-2003, 12:28 AM
I am running a 5gpm pump with by bass agitation, it's always agitating even when spraying.

Also have no drip spray tips, they won't open till they hit 8 psi, I am spraying at 30 psi.

Tips go with the teejet turfjets floodjets. XR produce lots of mist.

Also have valves for each section of the boo, to shut off.

Starting from ground zero is the best bet.

I will email you a place to get all of what you need.

Shady Brook
07-08-2003, 12:36 AM
:D Yeah, now were cooking! That is some great info guys, I appreciate it. I look forward to your e-mail as well LG, thank you.

Any thoughts on filters, or any other design considerations would be great.

Thanks a bunch
Jay

NCSULandscaper
07-08-2003, 08:11 PM
Built this to spray around a couple hundred trees over a 5 acre area. 1.8gpm Surflow pump @ 60psi.

NCSULandscaper
07-08-2003, 08:13 PM
side view.............

lbmd1
07-09-2003, 07:56 AM
Here's a pic of mine:

dmc456
10-01-2003, 10:21 AM
Where do you get your supplies to build these sprayers?

Ric
10-01-2003, 10:47 PM
Start at Northern Tool or Tractor Supply

Today I was in Tractor Supply and saw a 25 gal Boom sprayer with hose and wand. It was made to sit on the back of a ATV. It had a real nice boom that folded in on both sides. The boom was spring loaded. At $359.00 complete it was a bargain.

PaulJ
10-02-2003, 12:57 AM
Funny this thread should come back to life today.

I am have a couple of softball fields to spray this fall and will probably have the account next year with a full program on 4 fields. The little grounds wheelie push sprayer ain't going to cut it.

I need a better sprayer. I have been thinking of getting an ATV sprayer and building my own boom and nozzle setup for it. Only problem is what to mount it on. I have a garden tractor that would work OK just not very maneuverable or I have my new hustler walk behind mower with a bull rider. I would like to put a sprayer on the walkbehind with the talk above the deck and the spray nozzles/boom mounted to the sulky so the spray is behind me. Anyone ever do this ? Does it sound crazy? I thought it would go great with a spreader mounted to the front of the mower.

PaulJ
10-11-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by PaulJ

I need a better sprayer. I have been thinking of getting an ATV sprayer and building my own boom and nozzle setup for it. Only problem is what to mount it on. I have a garden tractor that would work OK just not very maneuverable or I have my new hustler walk behind mower with a bull rider. I would like to put a sprayer on the walkbehind with the tank above the deck and the spray nozzles/boom mounted to the sulky so the spray is behind me. Anyone ever do this ? Does it sound crazy? I thought it would go great with a spreader mounted to the front of the mower.

ttt

cantoo
10-13-2003, 09:23 PM
Paul, I don't have the pics handy but I have posted pics of my WBH and a couple of different spray rigs I built. Just do a search for my name and they should be there. I started with a pull behind sprayer from TSC and cut it up. The fert spreader was from a Ford dealership.

PaulJ
10-14-2003, 01:36 AM
Cantoo,

thanks for the info.

I found a pic of a spreader on a toro walkbehind.

had rain this afternoon so I went and bought a atv sprayer and started mounting it on the back of a garden tractor that I have that doesn't get used much. I might rig it up on the walkbehind this winter, but I don't have time to do it right right now. They had to order the nozzles I decided to use so I wont have those for a couple days. I am using two nozzles to get a 8'-9' spray path. the tank has a return agitation and pressure gauge. I am going to plumb it so I can run just one nozzle or both. I got the bracket frame mocked up tonight. just have to get some longer bolts for a couple spots and tighten everything down. and make the boom.(just a 4.5' piece of tubing). I should be spraying with it next week.

jackofalltrades
05-11-2004, 12:52 PM
Hope I am not getting to far away from topic but I hoped you guys could help me.

I just bought a 15 gallon tank with a 40 psi pump.

I am only gonna use the rig for small applications (like bewtween trees and in small food plots and yards).

Is this too small of a pump?

I havent built a boom yet but wasn't figuring on having anything bigger than a 5 ft to 7 ft boom.

How many nozzles do I need or what am I limited to?

I am very new to taking on the task of hands on application. I would appreciate your help.

thanx,

j

dmc456
05-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Look at on of the Boomless sprayer from Tractor Supply.

For $300 you get a great pump and saves a lot of time. Mine non-modified will spray 30 feet wide or righ, left, or center. The "Boom" is only 4 feet wide.

Very nice setup.

greenerpastures
05-11-2004, 11:34 PM
Having built, bought, and trashed my share of sprayers over the years, I will throw in a few comments.

1) boomless nozzles are okay IF -- you don't need a consistent spray pattern, you never spray in the wind, and overlap and skips don't matter much.
2) a boom without breakaway protection will eventually break away.
3)nozzles - plastic, brass, stainless, hi-tech plastic, ceramic ----- poor,fair,good, better, best or if you prefer cheap to expensive (but will last much longer). Air-induction (venturi-type) nozzles are great for reducing drift. Fan type patterns are most popular and their tapered pattern are designed to overlap---20" spacings are standard. Nozzle bodies should be drip-proof, adaptable to quick attach caps plus easy alignment.
4)pressure consistency=consistent application=consistent results--- depends on many factors: a good pump, proper plumbing for the particular pump (they do differ), an accurate liquid-filled pressure guage, and proper placement of throttling valves and bypass lines.
5) valves - ball valves are superior---- especially if you are going to install electric remote switches. Solenoid type are short-lived and draw constant amps.
6)Strainers - Easy to overlook, but will lengthen the life of pump system.
7)Marking system - can you afford not to have one?
8)speed - many ATV transmissions are not conducive to constant speed. Consider a speedometer a must or add a "calc-an-acre" type monitor.
9)Agitation-many of the cheaper type rigs have none or lack the pump capacity.
10) Newer electric diaphragm pumps are getting much better, but you better keep a spare if you are going to place it under a heavy workload.

There is a wide variety in quality of spray parts. If you are going to use it for light-duty --- northern, tractor supply, etc. might do the job. Consider Brothers Equipment, John Deere, Wylie Sprayer, Remcor, or westheffer for commercial-duty type equipment. If turf herbicides go the way of ag herbicides, we better have the equipment that is capable of applying less that 1 oz. of product per acre accurately. Spraying systems corp. has been around for decades and has some good spray design info on-line at spray.com.

specialtylc
05-11-2004, 11:52 PM
4gpm is all you need . Put the boom on the front if you are planing on using this machine where there are any obsticles (trees etc. ) or flower beds and such. And you other guys correct me if i'm wrong, but I dont think you can use fert in a low volume sprayer. And most all weed spray products dont need constant agitation.

Trav
05-12-2004, 02:24 AM
Hey LAWNGODFATHER,
Do you mind sharing were you get your equipment from? email is Trav__70@hotmail.com. thanks

PaulJ
05-13-2004, 02:02 AM
The 15 gal one I am using I run at only 10-20psi and about 2 gpm or less. I can put on any where from .4 to .8 gal per 1000 sq ft at 2.5 to 4.5 mph. good results so far.

Choctaw Scalper
07-17-2006, 10:40 PM
Here is what I made this weekend. It is nice you can run full speed and spray a good 9' pattern. Did it all for about $120 in materials.

cantoo
07-18-2006, 11:25 PM
Choctaw, couple of things I see with your setup. If this is where your tank sits it's mounted way too high. The boom is too high, might want to load it with straight water and test it on some pavement for pattern. I'm not sure that mower will carry that weight of water and last. I ruined a MTD Pro with a 30 gallon tank mounted above the tires. I mount my booms up front using a 2" receiver so I can see better and to remove quickly. Tank sits on the back behind engine. I now use a Steiner 4x4 for a spray rig.
Wear a respirator.

hmartin
07-18-2006, 11:49 PM
Do you have a side view that you can post? How much water are you applying per thousand? What size tips and pump?

Choctaw Scalper
07-19-2006, 12:33 AM
I was a little afraid of that too, but after playing around I thought I would try it. I made it so high in fear of the engine not having good cooling with it being right on top of it. The nozzles I am using spray almost 3' with a solid mist. I tested it out on the ground and it covers great. As I move at about full speed the plants get a full fine coverage of mist on them. As for height I took it for a test run I have 2 6' slopes in the front of the yard that are steep and extremely rutted. I ran up and down them about 20 minutes trying to see if it would flip backwards or in either direction, but it never did. The only thing I am planning on changing is the boom. I am going to run it out of PVC with fittings on it. I don't like the 1/2" hose taped and zip tied I just wanted to get it on and see if it would spray. As for weight it is only a 15 gallon. I don't think I could get away with a 30 gallon. Thanks for your input. Hopefully I will be ok and won't burn anything up.

hmartin
07-19-2006, 12:43 AM
The nozzles I am using spray almost 3' with a solid mist. I tested it out on the ground and it covers great. As I move at about full speed the plants get a full fine coverage of mist on them.
Are you saying that you are only getting a 3 foot pattern? You need some type of speed control. If you don't, you will have constant under or over application. You are not going to be able to go full speed all the time.

Choctaw Scalper
07-24-2006, 03:29 AM
No I am spraying about 9' all together out of the 3 nozzles. Here is a back view. You can see the cleaning up I would like to do with the tape and ties. The unit is held by 5 bolts and comes off in about 5 minutes.